Author Topic: Need a 2-3 man hub shelter...what would you recommend?  (Read 8165 times)

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Need a 2-3 man hub shelter...what would you recommend?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 30, 2016, 08:31 PM »
thanks OldSailor!
the back rest looks straight up and is lighter than what i carry now.

Hay 3300 check walmart for the Coleman directors chair they are $30  plus tax at the walmart by my house .. you can order them at walmart.Com and have them delivered to the closest wally world to you for free..

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 01, 2016, 07:52 AM »
I think there is no better portable shelter then a hub for a family. Definitely go for the insulated of which ever brand you choose. Mine is the 8x8 insulated gander mountain hub bought a few years ago for 199 on black Friday. Zero issues with it easy to heat and kid proof. Lol. If I hadn't bought that I was eyeing up the Eskimo line. Fat fish insulated. The way I see it you want 1 size bigger then needed for gear. I have seen many people fish out of the quick fish 3i would be a great 1-2 man or 1 man 2 kids shack.

How do you like it?  How does it compare to other brands? I went to Gander on Black Friday to pick one up but they were sold out.  I see they have them now for $299 with a couple fold up chairs.   I'm waiting to see if they go on sale again.
FTWGA

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:36 AM »
I have had a Clam Bigfoot 4000 thermal for a few years now. Plenty of room for 2-3 people and you can stand up in it.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #33 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:15 PM »
here's a gm8x8 i bought last black friday.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=320731.0

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:25 PM »
here's a gm8x8 i bought last black friday.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=320731.0

Buddy of mine has one their made by eskimo last I looked their a very good shack..

Offline Fr33Th1nk3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 04, 2016, 12:29 PM »
I have the Frabil HQ 100 and can fit myself (big guy) and wife and kid easily. I do leave my sled and auger outside, but keep heater, tackle box, and some junk inside. I live in N.B. so it'll get -30 with 20kmh+ gusts and use a Little Buddy heater.  There's still plenty of room. Weights 20lbs.

If you have the money though, get the Bunker series. HQ 200 if on a budget.

A bad day fishing beats a good day working.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #36 on: Dec 30, 2016, 09:53 PM »
So I just bought and returned the Frabill Bunker 210!  It has great hubs its not too heavy, 2 doors...was really psyched for this purchase.  Got it set up on the ice, was about 28 degrees and snowing.  Had a heater set up inside for my kids and Dad.  About 30 minutes in the inner seams started dripping water constantly on all 4 sides.  Everyone got soaked!  At first I thought it was condensation but the inside top was dry...didn't make sense.  Went outside and looked at the top of the shelter.  Snow was melting, running down to the roof seam and then running inside the seam and dripping.  Returned for a refund.

last I checked the idea of a shelter was to keep you Warm and DRY!  Major design flaw on all the Frabill Bunker series of shelters!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 01, 2017, 12:20 PM »
Another reason to buy a Polar Bird!! Plus they are a sponsor!!! Problems solved!! ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2017, 03:31 PM »
So I'm looking at ordering the Frabill 250 shelter.  It's the size I want and it's thermal.  Only concern right now is:
1.  Can't fine any reviews on it?  Any feedback?
2.  Windows?  Are they removable?  Thought I read somewhere they are, and this is not what I'm after.  Where I fish, it gets quite windy and I would like premaritally sealed windows.
Unless you're fishing in a tornado removable windows won't get removed by wind.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2017, 03:50 PM »
Another reason to buy a Polar Bird!! Plus they are a sponsor!!! Problems solved!! ;)
yep polarbird. best  insulated hub shelter, lifetime warranty on hubs and poles and insulated floor.great customer support and a sponsor that actually participates on iceshanty..

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #40 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:45 PM »
yep polarbird. best  insulated hub shelter, lifetime warranty on hubs and poles and insulated floor.great customer support and a sponsor that actually participates on iceshanty..
Well said, Jay.     :thumbsup: :clap: :flex: :bow:

Tom

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:43 AM »
HAHA!
so after a picture like that, it would be a hard thing to pass up that shack for any one looking to buy one! maybe pass it along to polar bird for their web site?........

My first thought was wheres the coffee pot?  I'm in the market for a new shelter after this season and I have to admit after seeing that picture, I will have to take a hard look at them although I prefer a flip over.  For those who say they have problems putting their hub back in the carry bag, would an old sea bag from an Army/Navy surplus store work?
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #42 on: Jan 09, 2017, 12:34 PM »
I wrestle to get my shappell 6500 zippered up in its bag sometimes..the polar bird 4t goes in and has d ring straps to close up.so much easier to get it in its bag after its frozen and ive been out all day.the last thing I feel like doing is wrestling with my shack,squish it down to even fit in the bag then get the zipper to work.pm me if interested in a 5% discount code  on polar bird shelters.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.