Author Topic: Which 2 man flip over to get without spending and arm and a leg!  (Read 4674 times)

Offline NDiceMan72

• IceShanty Rookie
I know otter is the standard in flip over ice shelters....but I am looking for a 2 person flip over that won't cost me an arm and a leg.....the best bang for your buck if you will. It needs to fit in my pick up's 5.5' box, be of good quality, can be pulled by hand on a smitty sled until I find a deal on an atv. Would like thermal top at least or full thermal if available in my price range, but not necessary as I can add reflectix to the roof just like I did to my quick flip 1. And would like to stay around or under $500. I have an Eskimo quick fish 3 hub style shelter that I am selling, because I cannot be mobile enough with it and I have an Eskimo quick flip 1 that I use when I go by myself. Now I am in need of one to take my fiance' with and still be mobile. Let me know what's out there!!! Thanks

Offline Caseman

• IceShanty Rookie
Good idea asking this question before you purchase.  I bought my otter cabin not knowing it wouldnt fit under my tonneau cover.  I can't really complain I only paid $200 clearance at Walmart.   

Good luck with your search.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I don't think you will find any 2 man sled type house for under $500. the closest you could get to that would be the full thermal Clam Nanook. It's MSRP this year is $529.99 but odds are if you are patient you could find it on sale for less. this would just be the house the runner kit and travel cover would add about $105 to the total cost. so the full package would be like $605. this is the house I am running this year. the full thermal is nicer then just a thermal top.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Here you go. In spite of what someone said about not finding one under $500!! (And he's their rep!!).......
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/clam-nanook-2-person-ice-shelter?a=1759355&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=CKb1nqy4w84CFQMPaQodOl8ONw

Just remember S+H will run that up. Better if you can find one in a store or an online special. Check with some of our sponsors!!
Here's another.........
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/clam-nanook-2-person-ice-shelter?a=1759355&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=CKb1nqy4w84CFQMPaQodOl8ONw
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Here you go. In spite of what someone said about not finding one under $500!! (And he's their rep!!).......

Just remember S+H will run that up. Better if you can find one in a store or an online special. Check with some of our sponsors!!
Here's another.........

the op said he wanted thermal cap or full thermal. you will not find a thermal cap or full thermal for less then $500. the one you posted is the non thermal model which is not what the op prefered. yes non thermal can be found for under $500 but not thermal. the non thermal nanook has a msrp of $449.99 then the runner kit and cover would add another $104.98 to that if the op wanted that too.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
OP said not necessary as he could add Reflectix if needed! This is the only way to stay within his budget!!! Either that, or save up and go insulated as you mentioned!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
An IS member posted less then a month ago a Frabill 2110(thermal top w/jump seats) on Amazon for $225 w/Free shipping .. I was able to pass that information on to a buddy...I also saved some money from an IS members posting  on a Vexilar FL12 head unit last season ..$135 Amazon ...think they are still giving a free Prime trial too so that eases the shipping cost ...got to keep checking Amazon daily as well as IS ...our members rarely miss a deal and post same quite often .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
A couple stores around here had the Rapala flip shacks on very cheap at the end of the season. I am sure they had 2 man flips for under $300 Cdn. but all either sold or were put away for the season.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
An IS member posted less then a month ago a Frabill 2110(thermal top w/jump seats) on Amazon for $225 w/Free shipping .. I was able to pass that information on to a buddy...I also saved some money from an IS members posting  on a Vexilar FL12 head unit last season ..$135 Amazon ...think they are still giving a free Prime trial too so that eases the shipping cost ...got to keep checking Amazon daily as well as IS ...our members rarely miss a deal and post same quite often .

i bought that shelter (frabill 2110 insulated top) and it's junk. sent it back today free shipping back to them too. amazon offered to reduce the price 40$ more to 184$ if i kept it.
window didn't match cut out.
top sliders/support bars bent 3 inches too long and makes them jam on the posts they slide on. lots of metal shavings in the sled. the upper supports are aluminum while the lowers are heavy steel. they said use ski wax to keep it moving smoothly in the manual!
support quick releases are in the way for it to fully collapse so it takes too much space and cover won't fir it this way.
hy-fax is junk too and the tiny bolt heads pull thru because they didn't add washers to their non stainless hardware kit for them.
frabill refused to help other than saying take it back if you don't like it.

so you could have bought a two man for under 200$ if you don't care about quality.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i bought that shelter (frabill 2110 insulated top) and it's junk. sent it back today free shipping back to them too. amazon offered to reduce the price 40$ more to 184$ if i kept it.
window didn't match cut out.
top sliders/support bars bent 3 inches too long and makes them jam on the posts they slide on. lots of metal shavings in the sled. the upper supports are aluminum while the lowers are heavy steel. they said use ski wax to keep it moving smoothly in the manual!
support quick releases are in the way for it to fully collapse so it takes too much space and cover won't fir it this way.
hy-fax is junk too and the tiny bolt heads pull thru because they didn't add washers to their non stainless hardware kit for them.
frabill refused to help other than saying take it back if you don't like it.

so you could have bought a two man for under 200$ if you don't care about quality.

Was goin to say the frabill 2410  but I will belive 3300 that it's junk any way the link below is to the 2410 it has free shipping to store if there is a problem they will return it..most of the time.. still looking around. Wil bbs

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Frabill-Aegis-2410-Top-Insulated-Flip-Over-Shelter-Bench/45806334

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
i bought that shelter (frabill 2110 insulated top) and it's junk. sent it back today free shipping back to them too.

I will inform my buddy ...he opened the box and reviewed the contents ..didn't note any issues but has yet to assemble it .

Found this pic on BPS site ...side entry Aegis ...if true would be a game changer for certain .

http://www.basspro.com/Frabill-Aegis-Insulated-Ice-Shelter/product/1504231137/

may be that  is why Amazon is reducing the price of the Aegis ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
I will inform my buddy ...he opened the box and reviewed the contents ..didn't note any issues but has yet to assemble it .

Found this pic on BPS site ...side entry Aegis ...if true would be a game changer for certain .

http://www.basspro.com/Frabill-Aegis-Insulated-Ice-Shelter/product/1504231137/

may be that  is why Amazon is reducing the price of the Aegis ?
side entry would be nice on any flip being the door opening will be taller or should be.

if he does assemble it, have him check the inside left window while sitting in it. that's the window that is cut wrong so the plastic window won't seal it on all four sides. none of the windows are cut right, but that window there's no way to stop the wind fully from coming in on two side. they cut the windows much larger than their openings.
most of their issues can be fixed and i talked to them about trying to get them fixed, but said take it back instead of working with me.

when i bought mine, amazon had raised the price to 288$ that day and back to full retail 400$ the day after.

also on the hy-fax kit, the bolts where about an inch over the top of the lock nuts and all of that is exposed in the bottom of the sled meaning its on top of the highest points in the bottom of the tub. not a good design at all on those either. shappell has you install them on the tub runners that do touch the snow so their hardware is much more out of the way and little it over the lock nut and all stainless with rubber washers built into the lock nuts and can be reversed to get more seasons from them unlike frabill hy-fax. if this was my first flip shelter, then i would have presumed it to be the norm.

i have pics. probably should do a review here like i did i on amazon or just link to it.
https://www.amazon.com/review/RQ7B6FLNYJDG9/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00XD5LS8W&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=3375251&store=sporting-goods

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
3300 thanks for the heads up ... I'll pass along that info ..so the window covers the opening and then some  but the Velcro is place wrong on the window edge ..if I understand you correctly

I have the Frabill Hyfax  installed on my Adventurer ...don't recall them sticking up as high as you stated ... they stick out some but hasn't been an issue thus far.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
basically yes.
the windows that are to go into the openings of the tent are much too large and you have to figure out how to get some of each sides of the windows velcro to land on the openings velcro. if you install it so any one edge of velcro is in full contact with the opening, the opposite side will for sure miss the velcro it was meant to catch. the one window on the inside sitting down and to your left you can only get 2 sides to stick because that openings/cut out is much too small for that window. there are only two window sizes/shapes. china is cutting one or the other or both way off spec. and same with the sliding supports. the top support bars are bent 3inches too long so they bind on the bottom supports arms that hold them up leaving tons of aluminum metal shavings in the sled. every time you extend/collapse the supports it shave lots of metal from the inside of the aluminum upper support bars and makes them jam w/o trying.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Are you guys sure it not the products sold on amazon ? Only cause their demo models might apear on there... were on a good sight that is reputable it may not.. I  know that the windows did not fit at first in my outpost hub but do now.. I think the fabric stretched out a tad... maybe its smaller so not as much window sag later? But for sure should not have to put up with metal shavings in the sled some thing is wrong there...

Offline NDiceMan72

• IceShanty Rookie
Well I went ahead and bit the bullet and spent a little bit more than I was planning, but now I feel as if I will have a very high quality product. I ordered a Otter XT 1200 Pro Cabin!!! excited to get it and add lighting and a center counsel to it!! Thanks for the helpful info guys! Will post pics when I get it and assemble/mod it!
Ordered it from these guys: http://www.littlejimssports.com/otter-pro-xt-1200-cabin-portable-fish-house/

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Glad you got what you wanted!  They have a flip mo2 Eskimo here for599 and a otter same one you bought for 649.99 ..as long as you like it need I say more on otter quality cause there good as far as I know..

https://www.reedssports.com/mobile/category.cfm/shop/flip-over-shelters-fish-houses-ice-fishing

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
Well I went ahead and bit the bullet and spent a little bit more than I was planning, but now I feel as if I will have a very high quality product. I ordered a Otter XT 1200 Pro Cabin!!! excited to get it and add lighting and a center counsel to it!! Thanks for the helpful info guys! Will post pics when I get it and assemble/mod it!
Ordered it from these guys: http://www.littlejimssports.com/otter-pro-xt-1200-cabin-portable-fish-house/

Wow awesome, congrats on the purchase! That looks like a real slick unit!  :icefish:

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
I started with a thermal cap when I started this last year and returned it the next day. It was really cold out and the inside was sweating like crazy, for a few more bucks I went to full thermal and would not go back.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
I ended up getting the Clam Yukon full thermal, it will fit in the back of my Honda CRV with the seats pulled out.

The Otter you purchased looks nice, I think that is what I should have bought for quality

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have that one ice scratcher and the only difference between the two that I am aware of is the 650 is only a thermal top. 1200 is fully insulated. ;)

Offline NDiceMan72

• IceShanty Rookie
Well it finally showed up yesterday afternoon!!! Got it all put together and now I'm trying to decide how I am going to do the lighting inside!! Any suggestions on lighting, let me hear them!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Big congrats man!!

Is that the one from Cabela's bargain cave?

<°)))>{

Offline NDiceMan72

• IceShanty Rookie
Big congrats man!!

Is that the one from Cabela's bargain cave?

<°)))>{

Nope, this one is from Little Jims sports. It is XT Pro 1200 Cabin fully insulated.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nope, this one is from Little Jims sports. It is XT Pro 1200 Cabin fully insulated.

Awesome, looks pretty dang comfy!!

Good luck with it!

<°)))>{

Offline walleyerick

• IceShanty Rookie
I put green LED lights on the bar right above the door and white ones right above your head. I left all my wiring exposed so that it can be repaired easily if needed. I then build a power box to put in the sled to power it all up, works really nice and have had no issues (do a search for power box/supply). Your gonna love that shack when it's -10 out and the wind is blowing. It's a handful loading by yourself but it can be done, I load mine across the front the trailer in front of the wheeler and have not have a problem at all. Enjoy!!!!!
"Sappers lead the way "

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey walleyerick, how do you keep the led's from interfering with the support bars that connect to the front bar?

Offline walleyerick

• IceShanty Rookie
Slayer check your PM
"Sappers lead the way "

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.