Author Topic: Lanterns?  (Read 2863 times)

Offline duketter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Lanterns?
« on: Oct 21, 2004, 08:37 AM »
What does everyone use for lanterns/lights in their portable shanties?  We have an old coleman lantern with those wicks(they get brittle) but would like to upgrade to something a little more portable.  You have to be careful with those older lanterns cause those wicks are brittle.  Also the glass is super hot when you turn them off so you have to wait a bit for it to cool down.  I am talking about the lanterns that use the 1 pound propane tanks, that is what we have.  Anyone else use something different or do they have better ones out now?

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Re: Laterns?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2004, 09:14 AM »
I was in the same situation with brittle mantles, the mantle glass breaking and too much heat at times. This year I ordered a new Browning electric lantern. It has 12 LED lights, runs up to 10 days on low, runs up to 40 hours on high and uses 4 D alkaline batteries. The light output is reported to be very good and I like the fact it is adjustable - dimmer switch. I also like the fact it is made of aluminum/plastic which should be durable. I should be recieving it anyday now and I'll get back to you on my impressions  ;).
Here's the link
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/lites/detail.asp?value=008H&cat_id=371&type_id=720
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2004, 10:59 AM »
This might be another option.  Brunton's mantleless lantern is generally marketed to the backpacking crowd, but it might be a good choice for ice fishing as well.  I don't have any personal experience with it though.

http://www.brunton.com/catalog.php?item_id=277&subcategory_id=43&category_id=3&old_item_id=277&old_subcategory_id=43&old_category_id=3

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2004, 11:57 AM »
My old coleman lantern works just fine. But I use it just for heat. I have a black cat heater that doesnt throw half as much heat as my lantern.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2004, 12:56 PM »
The one I ordered isn't available in stores yet. It is similar to the Cabelas lantern with a few exceptions. It is primarily made of aluminum and plastic which to me would be more durable. Another feature is it has a dimmer switch which is desirable especially when in my FT Pro. While inside I can adjust the light output keeping it dim and when outside put it on full output if needed. ;)
I should have it in my hands mid next week.

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Lanterns?
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2004, 04:22 PM »
I can't wait for this report!  ;D I have yet to find a battery operated lantern that works well in the cold and for any lenth of time and hopefully this is the answer! ;D

Thanks Lonewolf!

G

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2004, 08:06 PM »
I use the coleman Northstar propane model. Open a window for ventilation and you will be fine. It does a decent job heating the shanty even with little window open. It is really brite and goes about 4 to 6 hours on a single propane cylinder ;D I am getting a 20 light led as a backup this season. Hope this helps.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2004, 02:35 PM »
Check out the new lighting system foorm Clam-corp.  I am trying to locate my own rope lighting, but can't find it in a 12 volt.  The only good thing here is that you don't have to keep buying batteries. 

http://www.clamcorp.com/acc_trap_light.html
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2004, 08:08 PM »
Do a search and you should find plenty of 12 volt rope lights. I bought some last year. I would go with white, the red doesn't cut it.Here's a site   http://www.northwood-marine.com/order.html
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2004, 01:56 PM »
The rope lights are nice but I liked the idea of the lantern. As stated earlier I'm hoping it will work on the dimmer setting in the shelter and on high outside the shanty for checking tip-ups, etc.. I just recieved the lantern about an hour ago and I'll check it out tonight. ;)

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2004, 07:29 PM »
Here are some of my first impressions of the Browning Black Ice lantern.

Weight .... 2lbs 6oz with batteries (I weighed it)
Dimensions .... 5" base, 6 1/2" shroud at top, 11" height to top of handle extended (rough measurements)
Construction .... aluminum and plastic
Includes a swivel plastic hanger

I'd like to emphasize this is a first impression - I'll know more after a few nights on the ice. It appears to be well made and it has a gasket between base cover and unit - where the batteries go in. The lantern is listed as water resistant - we''ll find out.
I took the lantern in the backyard and tried the dimmer switch. It went from approximately a one foot beam gradually to approximately a twenty foot beam (out from the lantern). The reason I say beam is the light is slightly directional due to the 12 LED's. When I went by the fence or garage door I noticed "points" of higher intensity light.
The unit does not put out the intense lighting of my double mantle propane lantern - I didn't expect it to. I would guess it's putting out 1/3 to 1/2 the "bright light" output of the old double mantle. My first impressions were good but time will tell - I've included a couple of pic's.....

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2004, 11:29 AM »
I saw a generic twin to this Browning lantern at campmor.com if anyone is interested.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.