Author Topic: Frabill Panfish popper rods  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Frabill Panfish popper rods
« on: Oct 18, 2004, 07:35 PM »
I saw these at Cabelas. Not impressed. Just another glass rod with no backbone. Much more impresses with St Croixs ice fishing rods. Ones I looked at last year I didnt care for but these were nice. They were the black handled ones.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Frabill Panfish popper rods
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2004, 08:26 PM »
Seag,
    Those are the St. Croix Avid rods you were looking at. They feature a solid carbon blank, woven graphite handle, and stainless-steel guides. I really like them as I have 3 of them and also a St. Croix premier ice rod. St. Croix makes great rods.
Ken                                          

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2004, 09:04 AM »
Is there a difference between the St Croix Avid and Premier rods other than the handle?
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2004, 09:12 AM »
Is there a difference between the St Croix Avid and Premier rods other than the handle?
Otis, The only difference is the handle, but the Avid handle is more sensitive. They both use the Avid ice rod blank and the same guides.
Ken                                          

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2004, 12:26 PM »
Thanks Bean.  I bought one, but I'm not sure if I like it.  Do you tape your reels on to these rods, it seems like the reel wouldn't seat tight?
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2004, 01:17 PM »
Thanks Bean.  I bought one, but I'm not sure if I like it.  Do you tape your reels on to these rods, it seems like the reel wouldn't seat tight?
Yes, you can use electrical tape to secure them. Some people use tie-wraps, but you always have the locking tab sticking out somewhere. Fusion wrap or Tommy tape is another method, but I find it a little bulky. Sometimes it's tricky to do it yourself, so you may want someone to hold the reel tight to the rod while you apply the tape tightly. I prefer these style handles(tennessee) as compared to reel seats.
Ken                                          

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2004, 08:09 PM »
I like taping my reel on too. I thot it was crazy before i tried it. You can put reel anywhere you want. As in closer to tip or farther away.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2004, 07:30 AM »
I've always taped on my reels, but all my rods have cork handles.  This St Croix rod has a smooth hard graphite handle, so I thought the reel wouldn't seat tight to the handle without wiggling.  I'll have to buy a reel for it and give it a try.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2004, 10:16 AM »
Don't worry about the St. Croix Avid and taping your reels on, it works great.  I have two, and have had no problems.  I use 3M electrical tape, haven't tried Tommy Tape (silicone) tape yet.  You are pretty hard pressed to find a high end rod that does have a reel seat on it - I think Thorne Bros. does make them custom if you want, but why would you?  Rods are so much lighter and more sensitive with the reel being taped right to the handle. 

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2004, 10:32 AM »
Can anyone compare the St Croix Avid rod to the Berkley Lightning Dave Genz rod?

Does anyone have open water rods that you tape the reels onto?
Follow the bubbles...

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2004, 12:26 PM »
Honestly I think the Avids are a much better rod than the Genz series.  I've always thought the Genz rods fish too stiff for their intended purposes.  I like a rod with a stiff tip for jig pounding, but they are too much, in my opinion.  I have two Avids, and they are both fantastic rods.  24" ultralight, great, great bluegill rod, and a 28" ultralight that has a beautifull arc when loaded - great perch rod.  And they both are great on crappies as well.  One more bummer on the Genz rods - I saw they have them at my local Wal-Mart the other day - out of five 29" medium light rods, 4 of them were built improperly - spine was out of alignment.  That's TERRIBLE quality control.

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2004, 09:16 AM »
How do you tell if the spine is aligned correctly?
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2004, 07:25 AM »
take the blank and hold it lightly in your left hand, just above the handle - then take your right hand and put it on the rod tip, and bend the rod into an arc.  The blank should bend easily, and in line with the guides.  If you feel the blank wanting to twist out of that line, then the spine is misaligned.  Basically, due to the manufacturing process, all round materials, rod blanks, golf club shafts, etc, have a "spine" that is formed.  Good rod builders align the spine to the guides - thereby assuring consistent rod flex and strength. 

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2004, 08:19 AM »
take the blank and hold it lightly in your left hand, just above the handle - then take your right hand and put it on the rod tip, and bend the rod into an arc.  The blank should bend easily, and in line with the guides.  If you feel the blank wanting to twist out of that line, then the spine is misaligned.  Basically, due to the manufacturing process, all round materials, rod blanks, golf club shafts, etc, have a "spine" that is formed.  Good rod builders align the spine to the guides - thereby assuring consistent rod flex and strength. 

If you do what richstick said and spin the but of the rod, it will kick in a certain place while you spin it.  That would be the spine of the rod.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2004, 01:48 PM »
thanks for pointing that out Otis - I failed to mention that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.