Author Topic: which gps and chip????  (Read 2382 times)

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
which gps and chip????
« on: Nov 06, 2009, 11:56 PM »
okay here the thing...i live in iowa, and plan to buy a new handheld and mapping chip...first , does anyone have any experience with the new lowrances (touch screens)?  second, navionics or lakemaster??? (this will probably decide whether i go garmin or lowrance)...and with navionics, is platinum that much better than premium??? HELP PLEASE????

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
Re: which gps and chip????
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2009, 06:56 AM »
Before you even look at the hardware, spend some time on Navionics and Lakemaster's web sites and look at the lakes listed for each chip.  Make your decision on the chip, then go with the hardware that will accept that type of chip.

Different states/regions have different amounts of coverage, so I can't say which chip is best for your area.

-Jeff

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2009, 12:13 PM »
I have the lowrance H2O and a lakemaster chip i love it. But as mentioned before go to the navionics and lakemaster sites and see which covers the area you fish and if both do i would go with the one with more accurate contour lines. I am sure you will be happy with either garmin or lowrance so do your homework on the map chips.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2009, 06:53 PM »
Right on! Choose the best software then choose the best GPS that will work with it. Lakemaster's Garmin and Lowrance chips HAVE DIFFERENT LAKE LISTS! You cannot get a Navionics chip for a Garmin.

It usually works out to be Garmin with Lakemaster vs Lowrance with Navionics. Compare the lake lists and see who wins.

I have a GPSMAP60Csx Garmin and I LOVE it. I have the Lakemaster chip for it, and it covers every lake I fish. The Mille Lacs and several other lakes are in 1 foot contours. Most other lakes are in three foot contours. Scary, Scary, accurate! The map puts the shoreline within 3 feet accuracy!

Offline NHRenegade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2009, 10:07 PM »
I agree with Skipper, and he has one of the best handheld GPS out there in my opinion.  I have the Garmin Rino 530hcx, which is the same thing with the radio added as well.  It is incredibly accurate, even in the thick woods and my basement, and has never failed while mounted to my snowmobile during the winter.  I've owned 3 handheld Garmins and two for the vehicle, but like anything it has become a brand preference for me after so much good luck with them.

One thing I would caution you about, just in my experience, is touchscreens in the cold.  I use them (on computers and laptops) daily at work and when they are cold they either don't work or malfunction and jump all over the place thinking that they are getting input when they are not.  Maybe that problem has been solved in the new GPS that you mentioned but I would be leery....

Offline FishRMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2009, 10:18 PM »
I'm from Central Iowa and after doing similar research I went with Garmin handheld units and the Lakemaster chip.  I just bought the new one that includes Iowa and Illinois lakes.  I have all sorts of spots marked on a lake near home and compared it to what the chip was telling me.  I found the depths to be right on and much of the structure I personally found and marked was also on the Lakemaster chip very close to where I had waypoints marked. 

When I fished Mille Lacs last year I used another guy's Navionics and it looked pretty good from what I could tell.  However, I found that Lakemaster was really the way to go in Iowa.  JMO.  Good Luck   

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2009, 12:50 AM »
I'm from Central Iowa and after doing similar research I went with Garmin handheld units and the Lakemaster chip.  I just bought the new one that includes Iowa and Illinois lakes.  I have all sorts of spots marked on a lake near home and compared it to what the chip was telling me.  I found the depths to be right on and much of the structure I personally found and marked was also on the Lakemaster chip very close to where I had waypoints marked. 

When I fished Mille Lacs last year I used another guy's Navionics and it looked pretty good from what I could tell.  However, I found that Lakemaster was really the way to go in Iowa.  JMO.  Good Luck   
this is what i was looking for....i've been told garmin is a little more accurate, but navionics definitely has more lakes- trying to decide between garmin gpsmap 60 or 76CSX and lakemaster or lowrance sierra or expedition c and navionics...BOTH have all the lakes i normally fish

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2009, 07:48 AM »
Garmin 76csx FLOATS, the 60csx does not. If you use the GPS mostly for fishing, go with the 76csx. You will never need an external antenna on a lake, I bought the 6ocsx because I use it in heavy woods. The 60 and 76 series garmin units are very similar in features. These two units have an easy to read screen in full sunlight too, I'm sure you have seen guys with their head inside their coat trying to read their GPS screen. Whatever you buy, make sure you take it out in the sun and make sure you can read it. You would not believe how hard it is too see some of these GPS screens in the sun.

I agree about the touch screens. Allot of delivery drivers use touch screen computers on their route, and many of them need to keep them on the defroster in their truck when it is very cold. I would make sure you have a first hand review from an ice fisherman before you spend a bunch of dough on any touchscreen unit.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2009, 11:38 AM »
The lowrance H2O models aslo float, and will take either lakemaster or navionics chips. Garmin and Lowrance both make good products i think either way you go you will be happy.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2009, 06:49 PM »
Just to confuse you even more (jk), check out the Delorme PN-30 or PN-40 especially if you are leaning towards the Navionics chip.  They come with topo maps and can do more then either of the other units you're looking at ~ EXCEPT float.

Offline FishRMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:05 AM »
this is what i was looking for....i've been told garmin is a little more accurate, but navionics definitely has more lakes- trying to decide between garmin gpsmap 60 or 76CSX and lakemaster or lowrance sierra or expedition c and navionics...BOTH have all the lakes i normally fish
I think the guys on here know their stuff.  I have a color version of the Garmin Vista and Legend as I also do a lot of geocaching with my kids.  I've used both in the sun and don't have much of a problem with either.  The Vista has been great.  I can pull satellites while sitting in my basement and it locks in much faster than the legend.  It also has the electronic compass so that's nice if you sit in one spot.  The legend seems to work fine, just not nearly the unit the Vista is in my opinion.  I used a Garmin Colorado and Oregon and both are nice units.  However, they are larger and I like to keep my in the front pocket of my bibs.  One thing I wish mine had is the ability to connect wirelessly with other units to easily exchange waypoints, but not a big deal. 

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:15 AM »
well guys, i pulled the trigger and got a garmin gpsmap 60csx...thought about the 76csx but liked the layout of the buttons+ the antenna on the 60...now if i could just find the lakemaster chip locally!!!

Offline FishRMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:28 AM »
well guys, i pulled the trigger and got a garmin gpsmap 60csx...thought about the 76csx but liked the layout of the buttons+ the antenna on the 60...now if i could just find the lakemaster chip locally!!!
Nice!  I have the land contour chip as well and really like having both chips at my fingertips.  Once you get all the hotspots plotted you'll have to let me take a look to make sure the unit is working right  ;D

Offline Scott Steil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2009, 08:38 AM »
You definetly want the LakeMaster Chip for that Garmin.  You can order them online if you can't find someone who carries them.  You are REALLY going to like that setup!!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2009, 08:40 PM »
The last time I bought a chip from lakemaster, it was cheaper to buy directly from them. If you do not buy from lakemaster, make sure you get a 2009 chip and not a 2008 on clearance. the 09 chip has allot more lakes on it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.