The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: caspian?  (Read 5979 times)

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: caspian?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 03, 2014, 07:09 PM »
Iceman, what part of the lake did you set up at? I have been thinking of going out around in the cove by blacks point rd.
Load it, Drive it, Park it
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it
Catch it, Clean it, Cook it
Simply put just get out/ and do it

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Mar 03, 2014, 07:35 PM »
Off blacks point road in the cove on the highland lodge side
FLAG!!

Offline camo ninja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 04, 2014, 12:12 AM »

Been getting any rainbows or browns ?

Offline paddock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:33 AM »
I was up there last sunday, the day after the derby, in the afternoon. Got skunked, but it was my first attempt at lakers so i'm chalking it up to total lack of experience. I plan on getting there early this saturday and giving it another shot thou.

There was a lot of water/slush under the snow when we ventured off the plowed path - any chance this cold snap will freeze it solid, or does the snow on top insulate the slush too much, preventing it from freezing over? Definitely going to modify my footwear choice so my feet aren't freezing 30 minutes into my trip!

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 04, 2014, 08:14 AM »
One rainbow, no browns. The snow will insulate the ice for the most part. Water will still be a problem even with these cold temps.
FLAG!!

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 05, 2014, 07:45 AM »
Thats where i was thinking of fishing before the end of trout season. you have any luck there any other days? the snow cover has made it hard for me to get out there because im always with other people and alot of gear.
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Mar 05, 2014, 01:17 PM »
My son and I fished a couple hundred yards west of Iceman's shanty a few weeks ago (maybe in 1/3 of way from the end of the point).  We were able to park on Blacks Point Road, then dragged our stuff between a couple of snowed-in camps.  Not sure if it was the right thing to do, but it was obvious that nobody was using the camps.  There is a path right off the tip of that point that people have been using.  Again, it just goes out between camps, so it's not any different than what we did.  We had about a dozen or more flags that day, mostly out in ~40-45' of water, right on bottom.  Caught 2 lakers, 1 keeper.  Also had 3 flags in 2-6' of water with fatheads 1' under the ice.  Couldn't hook up with whatever was doing it, though.  I've heard the crayfish (no relation) are the size of small lobsters in there, so maybe they were messing with our bait?  Make sure to get to your flags quickly if you have small spools (we've got old 40-ups with small metal spools).  We almost got spooled a couple of times, including once when we were not more than 30' from the tipup when it went off (we caught the culprit that time ... a nice fat 20" laker).  Those lakers are screamers! 

Good luck.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 05, 2014, 09:34 PM »
My son and I fished a couple hundred yards west of Iceman's shanty a few weeks ago (maybe in 1/3 of way from the end of the point).  We were able to park on Blacks Point Road, then dragged our stuff between a couple of snowed-in camps.  Not sure if it was the right thing to do, but it was obvious that nobody was using the camps.  There is a path right off the tip of that point that people have been using.  Again, it just goes out between camps, so it's not any different than what we did.  We had about a dozen or more flags that day, mostly out in ~40-45' of water, right on bottom.  Caught 2 lakers, 1 keeper.  Also had 3 flags in 2-6' of water with fatheads 1' under the ice.  Couldn't hook up with whatever was doing it, though.  I've heard the crayfish (no relation) are the size of small lobsters in there, so maybe they were messing with our bait?  Make sure to get to your flags quickly if you have small spools (we've got old 40-ups with small metal spools).  We almost got spooled a couple of times, including once when we were not more than 30' from the tipup when it went off (we caught the culprit that time ... a nice fat 20" laker).  Those lakers are screamers! 

Good luck.

I use a sz 14 treble on all my trout set ups. Make sure the points are sticky sharp and they almost always find a piece of fish to grab onto.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Mar 06, 2014, 06:49 AM »
I'll have to try the small trebles, Tench.  I'm getting sick of the run and drop.  We seem to get it a lot when trout fishing for some reason.  Thanks!

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 06, 2014, 11:03 AM »
Where you hook your minnow also has alot to do with whether you hook them or not
FLAG!!

Offline camo ninja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 06, 2014, 02:27 PM »
Where you hook your minnow also has alot to do with whether you hook them or not

100%

Offline paddock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Mar 06, 2014, 02:28 PM »

If you're willing to share your hooking technique I'd appreciate it! I'm heading to Caspian Saturday for my last chance at lakers this season (traveling next weekend) so I could use all the help I can get!

This has been my first serious year on the ice, and it's been a blast! Full of rookie moves and small victories, for sure.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 06, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Just under the spine next to the dorsal fin. 1 point in the fish, 2 points free.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 06, 2014, 04:07 PM »
I don't use troubles (trebles) lost more fish with them than singles. Just my own experience. I use a #4 single octopus hook right in front of the dorsal. 1.  fish are more likely to feel a treble and spit the hook seeing how there's 3 points. 2. Octopus hooks tend to hook themselves and have had great luck with them! Also trout tend to take the minnow head first so I like the hook more towards the head. ;)
FLAG!!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 06, 2014, 05:03 PM »
Try to find yourself some lacing needles and lace a double hook( mustad #7827 size 6) right behind the baits head. You won't miss many fish but you'll have to cut the line on the shorts as they usually have the hook down deep .

Offline paddock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Mar 06, 2014, 06:49 PM »
Thanks guys! I'll have to check out those octopus hooks.  Looking forward to this weekend! Good luck out there!

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 06, 2014, 09:35 PM »
fished caspian today again, my brother pulled in a 19" laker but other than the really nice weather it was still once again a slow day out there. never been out there in a boat but i will be trying to find some structure this summer to fish over. had the aqua view out today and the bottom is all sand from the beach to at least the middle. maybe thats why fishing is always slow there?
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline camo ninja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 07, 2014, 12:55 PM »
I hook behind the dorsal but pull it all the way thru , then under the gill and out the mouth of the smelt ...hook should sit in there mouth , hardly ever loose them like this

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 08, 2014, 12:26 PM »
I'll have to try the small trebles, Tench.  I'm getting sick of the run and drop.  We seem to get it a lot when trout fishing for some reason.  Thanks!
I believe it is the bait that we have to use hence the hit and spit!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 08, 2014, 04:42 PM »
I believe it is the bait that we have to use hence the hit and spit!

Hit and spit or look and laugh-trout fishing with anything but smelt sucks !

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 09, 2014, 10:52 AM »

Hit and spit or look and laugh-trout fishing with anything but smelt sucks !
Xs 2 on that!!!! The emeralds used to work well on trout before the bait laws changed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.