The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: caspian?  (Read 5980 times)

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
caspian?
« on: Feb 19, 2014, 11:37 AM »
Does anyone know if Caspian has been plowed since this past weekend?
FLAG!!

Offline camo ninja

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: caspian?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2014, 02:09 PM »
There's usually only one guy that plows when it gets that deep and he does it with his tractor right to his shanty , you'd be better walking because everyone gets stuck trying to get off that rd and usually is a big cluster #^*+
With that said I haven't been there in a few days and they got at least 8-10" last night

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:29 AM »
Sam, as camo said, someone had plowed the ramp and a road to their shanty (left of the ramp) some time on Saturday.  There was no road going straight out at all when I left Saturday afternoon.  No idea what it looks like now, though.

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2014, 10:18 AM »
Ok thanks
FLAG!!

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2014, 09:48 PM »
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you knew of another public access point to Caspian other than the beach...
thanks.
Load it, Drive it, Park it
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it
Catch it, Clean it, Cook it
Simply put just get out/ and do it

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2014, 04:37 AM »
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you knew of another public access point to Caspian other than the beach...
thanks.

The boat launch is it everything else is private property.

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2014, 08:25 AM »
Thank you, that makes a long walk out to the ledges between the points.   :-\
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2014, 11:10 AM »
I usually park on blacks point road or lake shore road and walk in from there. Gotta watch out for private property but have never had any issues.
FLAG!!

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2014, 05:18 PM »
Thank you Iceman. Anybody catch any nice lakers out there in the middle? because that is one of the next areas wanna try. I went up right after that big snowstorm but there was no way i was getting out there from the beach.
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2014, 05:29 PM »
Check the Vt lakes and ponds website thru F&G for the depth map because the deep holes aren't specifically in the middle.

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2014, 12:38 PM »
fishingidjit- Im not looking for the deepest just an easy way out to the ledges between the points never fished out there before and wanna try it. my dad caught a 20" right off the beach 5 FOW last time we went but that was only because we didnt want to drag a portable shanty through 2 ft of snow. thanks for the info guys maybe giving it a shot friday
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2014, 03:59 PM »
Good Luck and give us a report  ! :)

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2014, 04:07 PM »
Derbys this weekend!
FLAG!!

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2014, 07:58 PM »
I would love to fish the Derby but my brother and i will be at a wedding all day Saturday. I will post hear Friday night with how i do on Friday, winds will be from the west and barameter steady so fishing is predicted to be awesome Friday and Saturday lol good luck to who ever fishes the derby. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline NEK_VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2014, 01:01 AM »
Please anyone post on how accessibility is for the lake. It might be nice to get out on the lake. I went yesterday and it was hard going with variable ice and slush.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2014, 09:32 AM »
Anyone have details on the derby? Where to buy tickets? Not sure if I want to fish Caspian or Seymour this weekend.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline camo ninja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2014, 10:20 AM »
Wiley's store right by the lake has tickets
$15 for adults
Tourney is 4am-2pm

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2014, 10:28 AM »
Can you buy tickets at the access that morning?
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2014, 11:25 AM »
I just spoke with the guy on the phone at Willy's Store and he told me that the ice is a little slushy but still accessible where a man has plowed and that there will in fact be people at the beach (access area on beach rd.) to sell entry tickets if you have not bought them in advance. Tourney is 4am-2pm good luck Im going Friday for sure so good luck to anyone in the tournament  :tipup:
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2014, 09:34 PM »
So i Just got back from my trip to Caspian. It was okay. caught 2 nice 20+" lakers 30' below the ice in 45FOW. Marked bait fish in and around 30' below the ice in 45FOW. was a real cold day so i stayed in the shanty most the day.... the ice was thick, drove out to where they are setting up a tent (set up for the derby tomorrow i think) and had no problems. saw a few trucks getting stuck but that was because they went off the roads (plowed from one side to the other from the beach access) and hit the slush.however the ice was covered with about 5" of water and then 2" of ice in some spots. all in all i think driving anywhere outside the middle of the lake is fine. Lots of traffic tonight with people getting ready for the derby. Good luck tomorrow. both Lakers came off tip ups with medium shiners. I NEED TO DO SOME PERCH FISHIN and have more action
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline paddock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Thanks for the report. Where did you get your shiners from? I've got Caspian lined up for next weekend, but still haven't figured out where to pick up bait. I've also read that it's pretty easy to just jig up some smelt first in the shallows - any thoughts on local smelt vs purchased shiners? Never tried for lakers through the ice, so I'm pretty excited!

Good luck to everyone in the Derby today, but please leave a few fish for me next weekend!

Offline camo ninja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2014, 11:03 AM »
Thanks for the report. Where did you get your shiners from? I've got Caspian lined up for next weekend, but still haven't figured out where to pick up bait. I've also read that it's pretty easy to just jig up some smelt first in the shallows - any thoughts on local smelt vs purchased shiners? Never tried for lakers through the ice, so I'm pretty excited!

Good luck to everyone in the Derby today, but please leave a few fish for me next weekend!

Bartletts bait is right in Greensboro just out side of the bend off 16...not sure who told you it was easy to jig up smelt but its hit or miss and more miss than hit...I'd get shiners just in case and use any smelt u may catch

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2014, 09:46 AM »
Yea I agree with Camo Ninja, Ive been there twice and haven't caught a smelt...lol. I have better luck getting medium shiners (i get mine at Ricks bait shop by woodbury lake because i drive right past it on rt 14 on my way to Caspian) and then i fish them dead 1-2 ft off the bottom and set out a few tip ups both ends of my line about 3-5ft under the ice with Live minnows. good luck
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2014, 12:34 PM »
Very slow going for me at the derby. Had 30  :tipup: and 3 flags all day. Was also using smelt.  ???
FLAG!!

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2014, 12:45 PM »
Anyone know the results of the Caspian derby?

Offline camo ninja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 02, 2014, 01:02 PM »
27" laker and 11 perch were the winners of the adult divisions

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 02, 2014, 05:34 PM »
Wow, that's not too impressive.  Hope everyone caught a bunch but just didn't find the giants.

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 02, 2014, 07:03 PM »
That 27" laker was blind as well. Looked like it had been kept on the ice for a while. Makes me wonder if it came from Caspian.
FLAG!!

Offline camo ninja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 03, 2014, 01:01 PM »
That's about the size fish that usually wins it , people think with all the people they must catch monsters , doesn't happen... On average caspian is good for catching fish but most are around legal size

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 03, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Exactly! So how does it happen that some miracle happens every derby and someone gets a 27 inch laker? Idk but that thing didn't look so good in the live well. Both eyes were frozen (blind). I am not saying it definitely didn't come from Caspian but I have my doubts.
FLAG!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.