The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Goin' Out Tomorrow?  (Read 853 times)

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
Goin' Out Tomorrow?
« on: Nov 27, 2016, 07:24 PM »
Off topic, I know, but...

Gonna go huntin'?

Who's all goin' with ya?  Where? (Just generally, not lookin' for your hotspot.)  What time ya leavin'?  Goin' back to the truck for lunch, or stayin' out all day?

Me, I'm goin' up the mountain, solo.  Leavin' the Old Home Place about 0545 hours.  Goin' back to the truck for lunch, but later, 1330 hrs or so.  I wanna be on stand when other guys are movin' around...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Goin' Out Tomorrow?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2016, 07:28 PM »
I'm going with my Dad and Brother to our spot in Northeastern Pa, leaving at 0400, and we eat on stand.  I wish there was more snow but it won't be the first time we didn't have the ground at least completely covered.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2016, 04:09 AM »
Up and ready,all day sit never move. Dawn to dusk. Got a buck in Onio last week with the bow.

Offline bsapp15401

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2016, 07:29 AM »
So I saw this subject post on an ice fishing site and thought Who the H3LL is going out tomorrow in PA!?!? Then I realized once I clicked on it we were talking about hunting!! Good Luck to all and stay safe out there!

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2016, 06:08 PM »
Off topic, I know, but...

Gonna go huntin'?

Who's all goin' with ya?  Where? (Just generally, not lookin' for your hotspot.)  What time ya leavin'?  Goin' back to the truck for lunch, or stayin' out all day?

Me, I'm goin' up the mountain, solo.  Leavin' the Old Home Place about 0545 hours.  Goin' back to the truck for lunch, but later, 1330 hrs or so.  I wanna be on stand when other guys are movin' around...
With the decimation of the deer herd in most of the state. There are no HOT spots anymore shorty  :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2016, 07:24 PM »
Capt.  Unfortunately you maybe right. 

I hunted from daylight till dark in SGL 198.  I saw NOTHING, not even a chipmunk or a chick-a-dee. 

There were 30 vehicles in the parking areas.  I heard three shots all day and didn't see a deer dragged out.

My buddy hunted on some open ground near his town and didn't see a deer.

The radio said more than 500,000 hunters took to the field.  When I was growing up it was always over one million.  You'd think, if PA deer herd management was successful, those who continue to hunt would take more deer due to reduced hunter competition...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2016, 03:14 AM »
I agree with you guys, the Pa Game Commission ruined deer hunting when they had the brilliant idea of initiating the doe slaughter.  I hunt on farm land and could count the shots I heard today both near and far on two hands, years ago I could only do that for MAYBE the first half hour.  I like the antler restrictions as the guys who are getting bucks are getting ones with far bigger racks.  It's pathetic that Uncleshorty, Capt.Crappie, myself, and lots of others had such a bad day and speaks volumes to the reality of the damage that has been done to deer hunting at the hands of the Pa Game Commission.  Then they started all these mentor seasons trying to get kids interested in hunting because the number of hunters is constantly falling.  Well here's an AMAZING idea, let the deer herd grow so people actually see deer and have a chance to get one rather than wasting a day and loosing a day's pay or burning off a sick, vacation, or personal day to sit in the woods without seeing anything.  It's beyond time that the idiots in charge pull their heads out of their, well you know, and wake up to reality but unfortunately that doesn't look like it will happen any time soon.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2016, 06:43 AM »
I agree Chris. I stopped hunting 5 years ago because I got tired of seeing nothing but squirels and tweety birds. They were in the middle of the doe slaughter when we got hit by the gypsy moths for 3 years and the SGL never really recovered. I spent several years after the gypsy moths died off hunting the mountain and never saw a single pile of deer poop much less any deer. My area is all mountain and residential. If you do see a deer chances are it's in someones back yard. I gave up deer hunting and started ice fishing instead ;)

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2016, 07:01 AM »
 We went to Blue Marsh "hunting" stripers, but there was also a rifle onboard. We struck out on both ...LOL. Did not hear a shot and saw no orange in the woods. There was a boat parked on the island, but that was the only "sign" of any hunters.

I had to get bloodwork done in the AM so that prevented me from going out, but I'll be out later in the week.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.