New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sandy pond  (Read 18741 times)

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • thats why they call it fishin,not catchin!
Re: Sandy pond
« Reply #30 on: Feb 20, 2015, 06:44 AM »
gonna head out around noon,i have a sled, ill tow a shanty out there for you if you want.

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Former usmc, former us army airborne, current DOD
« Reply #31 on: Feb 20, 2015, 07:04 PM »
I looked at some snow shoes today, but i know whats gonna happen, i blow a hundred bucks on them, wear them tomorrow for the derby, makes it a tad easier, then sunday it warms up and rains and i never use the snowshoes again...i just wont walk as far!  Got me three of those raffle tickets when i signed up tonight!
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline bigsunny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 21, 2015, 05:22 AM »
Thanks for the report BOGGEY, your tenacity is motivating, your a true warrior..!  You sure have taught us slightly younger pups a thing or 2...

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 21, 2015, 02:15 PM »
Just got back from the Elms,
got there at 7,wind was rippin!and it didn't really stop
fishin wasn't horrible for once,lol
10 keeper perch and a 22" pike
started snowin bout noon,just to add to the misery,was startin to get deep when I left at 2.30
it was a good day on the pond,even though the weather sucked!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 21, 2015, 02:49 PM »
Yo Choo Choo and BigSunny.
       Glad to hear from you both. Yup. I am getting older and even if the brain is not cognizant, the body is ready to relent. The cold never bothers me. I can dress for anything. It is the getting to and fro that bothers me. Sad this season has developed as it has. You don't have to be old to regret the formation of the ice field this year. I am sure it has kept a lot of you younger fellas at home as well.

At any rate, till I can get an easy ride or access by my 4 wheeler I am going to listen to my body and not my brain. I am going to act my age. I will have to consult with Tank and Wert to find out how they process this.
Conditions this year have gotten nasty JBoggey.  Better day's are coming. :) :) :)
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline wert

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 21, 2015, 05:36 PM »
jim boogey             im closer to73 than 72! i can still climb atree for deer,but dont like to walk on ice anymore!my 4x4runs butit must stay home until acouple of thaws. I HANDLE THIS AGE THING BY CLOSING MY EYES AND REMENBERING MANY MANY MANY GOOD TIMES I HAVE HAD IM TRULY BLESSED TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS .THANK YOU LORD FOR MY GOOD HEALTH AND LONGEVITY!!!!!

Offline Pantucci

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 21, 2015, 10:21 PM »
Fished the Elms today with my son,--first time with the new pop up shanty--just a handful of people out there--the persistent winds and snow/slush combination made it pretty brutal dragging our sled, setting up and taking down.  Caught some dink and medium-size perch on spikes/minnows at 8 feet. Lost a pike who grabbed a minnow on my ultralight and broke me off. Finally exited our toasty shack to face a heavy windy snow, and a dozen gulls closing in on our fish.  Much thanks to the guys who gave us a ride and a tow back to the lot after seeing us struggle in the knee deep snow. That gave us a second wind for the long snowy drive back. Some great folks out there!

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 22, 2015, 08:17 AM »
Fished it with my daughter yesterday left out of wigwam about 7 am. The walk out was great, nice and packed only a few inches to walk through. After shoveling an area for the shanty setting up tip up/downs, caught about 6 keepers and a pile of dinks. Wind was bad, snow was bad good thing i had my daughter with me, on the drag back i was sinking upmto my knees everymstep, she could walk right on top and did most of the dragging. Didnt even have anything to turn in for the sandy creek fd derby, biggest was one 10 inch perch.  It was still a good time with my daughter.
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline 870comp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 22, 2015, 08:43 AM »
Had a great time yesterday at the SCFD derby. My son Alex won the youth pike and my buddy Bruce won panfish king with a mixed bag of crappies and gills. Hope to do it again next year.

Offline 870comp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 22, 2015, 12:51 PM »
Congrayz 870comp for bringing Alex and to you Alex and Bruce for out fishing 870Comp. haha. Also TommyBoy congratulations for being tough enough to get out there on a day like yesterday. A good thing you had Bryn with you to drag you back in haha. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks JBoggey! I should have picked a better username! It should have been 870Tom.

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 23, 2015, 09:03 AM »
JUst got layed off,now I have time to fish the way I want,
weather is gonna suck for a few days looks like,
guess ill have to man up,lol
might do the crappie thing tonight!

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #41 on: Feb 23, 2015, 12:43 PM »
Tommy, nice to hear that you were able to get out Saturday, especially with the kid.  Sounds like she made the difference getting you back in to shore, we all know how that is. Unfotunately for me, that job thing keeps getting in the way of that fishing thing. Was there a good turnout for the Derby?  I'm gonna miss out the next 2 weeks as well, gonna check out the ice in FLA for a week. I'll be thinking of you and Boggey while next to the pool.   ;D ;D
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:23 PM »
Yeah, i about stroked out.  Not a lot of people fishing that I could see, as a matter of fact there was one shanty out when it started, another guy stopped me in his car and asked if the derby was still on. I didnt even go to the wiegh in, so I am not sure what the total turn out was.

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:44 AM »
gonna try South Cowwel today,went by yesterday,roads not plowed witch means no ones been in there for a while
just bringing the snowmobile,nills,bait puck,1 jigging rod,
will report back later

Offline 870comp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:53 AM »
I fished it back in january caught a bunch of small gills that went back down the hole

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:39 AM »
Anyone on the pond today? Thinking about making the drag tomorrow hows it look?

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 26, 2015, 12:57 PM »
went to south cowwel today,mistake big mistake, got the sled stuck 3 times,lots of slush down in there!!
all I got out of was a sore body,wet clothes,and some experience,

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:07 PM »
How much slush? Is it like that all over the pond?

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:31 PM »
didn't make it to the north pond,cowwel is bout a mile north,was gonna hit it but after that I was too sore and wet to do it,
tomorrow is another day

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 26, 2015, 04:59 PM »
Thanls Boggy,glad to help,LOL

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:14 PM »
Saturday is gonna be good  ;D

Offline KathyAnn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 27, 2015, 01:22 PM »
Husband and I drove to the pond today lots of snow and not one person fishing. :P

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:32 PM »
I was there before sun up and after sun down. 3 others popped up late afternoon. I found some nice slush.

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 28, 2015, 07:50 AM »
Nice slush?only nice slush comes in a cup with cherry syrup on it,lol

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 28, 2015, 07:58 AM »
My way of saying as it warms...bring a float. Its deep. Anyone ever had a problem with sleds running over tip ups on the pond? Had a close call. My buddy managed to stop him. He was that close to the shanty running through 15 tip ups. Must have been drunk because he gave him a nice pat on the back and the idiot almost fell off. I have very little respect for a snowmobile that has no gear in tow.

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 28, 2015, 08:08 AM »
I got ya loso just kiddin,where were you fishin at,
I personally havnt had any proplems with sleds,yet
slush is just gonna get worse before it gets better I believe,

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 28, 2015, 08:15 AM »
Greene Point. Seems that if you can brave the drag past most of the old holes you could stay drier.

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 28, 2015, 08:27 AM »
think ill wait till conditions,improve,allready had my fun in the slush,
theres a tournament today on the pond,
most likely get some reports later
Good luck to all out there today,
spending time with the grankids this weekend,so no fishin for me till mon

Offline 870comp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 28, 2015, 08:52 AM »
What derby?

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 28, 2015, 08:55 AM »
Christeen Reed Memorial

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.