Author Topic: Perch Biology?  (Read 3168 times)

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Perch Biology?
« on: Jan 15, 2004, 07:49 AM »
Any experts out there that know the average growth rate of a perch? Just out of curiosity.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

grumpymoe

Re:Perch Biology?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2004, 10:17 AM »
NOPE!! its generally accepted that growth rate is directly related to annual water temperatures, and availability of food. far northern lakes, with their short summers, have much slower growth rates than lakes in the southern part of north america. a 5lb fish from the north, maybe twice as old, or older, than its southern cousin. stocking practises have shown that some waters have unusually high growth rates in the first and second years, while others are much slower. this is also due to the high abundance of natural forage. hope this answers your question. NOT A BIOLOGIST, JUST AN AVID FISHERMAN/READER  grumpymoe

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2004, 11:31 AM »
It helps. I guess the same rules apply to nearly all species of fish.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2004, 02:35 PM »
Grumpymoe is right, depends on the lake.  Here in VT there is a reservoir that has an overpopulation of perch.  Their growth stops for the majority of them in the 6-7" range.  Fish could be three years old and 6.5" and some could be 10 years old and the same size. :(

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2004, 07:51 AM »
I heard the 20 inch Perch Grows Exceedling fast but he lives for 300 years and only feeds for 1 day every 23 years....but in that day he eats as much as a african lion does. I also have a bridge in London for sale if anyone is interested?
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
Re: Perch Biology?
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2004, 07:35 AM »
Well get on that will ya....We want some monsters on our lines!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2004, 09:57 AM »
perch growth----lives about 8 years in n.y.
this is average,the lake,food,and what other fish live with them will change this
1st year----about 3in long
2nd year---about 6in long
3rd year--about 8in long and about 1/4lb
4th year--about 10in long,about 1/2lb [ADULT]
5th year--about 12in long,about 3/4lb
6th year--about 14in long,about 1-lb
you can tell how old the fish is by the scale rings[like a tree]
hope this helps
rat ;D ;D ;D
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2004, 04:24 PM »
    I saw a factoid put out by the state of Minn. that a 13 in. perch in Minn. is 18 years old.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

hali-man

« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2004, 04:39 PM »
See the In-Fisherman annual Ice Fishing magazine.
There's an article titled The Truth About Jalopy Perch.
It's not biologically correct (Cider!), but interesting.

Offline 2r3d

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2004, 07:17 PM »
Just speaking of Wisconsin's perch..... 3 yrs. to reach 6-7 inches. after that they grow about an inch each year after the first 3 yr. growth spurt...... so a 10 inch perch would be 6 yrs. old. And a 14 in perch would be about a 10 year old fish. I am raising perch for a hobby in a 1 acre pond. Here it's all a different story. from eggs in April of 2003  to 6-7 inch skinny perch in Sept. of 2003 and by Oct. of 2004 they are chunky 8+ inchs. also had a few that measured 9 3/4 inches. This fast growth is due to feeding 25 lbs. of pellet food for 1 1/2 hours just before nighttime. I cleaned 2,150 of them so far and weighted then all out before and after the filleting. 50 perch weighted on avg. 10 1/4 lbs. and the fillets on avg. weighted 4 1/2 lbs. giving me a 42 % yield on the fish. It also came out to 5 eight inch perch to a pound. They sure do taste great without any PCB's or Mercury.

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2005, 01:58 PM »
The Canadian Fish Guys did a study on farm raising perch using water from a power plant to maintain and promote optimal growth. They grew 8 inch perch from eggs in 8 months, that's with steady warm water, all the food they need and no predation or competition. With our goofy conservation morals, we release small fish that compete for the forage. The best thing with perch are to take as many that you can. The survivors will have more food and grow bigger. Coneseus Lake had big perch when we had a lot of walleye and then they stunted down when the walleye disappeared. Then we had too many small perch and we quit fishing there. Some regulations and the concentration on "big fish" hurt the fisherys.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.