Author Topic: Which line?  (Read 3196 times)

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
Which line?
« on: Feb 02, 2019, 07:48 PM »
I got a new combo and need to put line on if before I get out again.  It's a 32" tucr precision with a sienna reel.  I have 8# power pro, 6# clam flouro, 6# trilene flourish, and 4# fireline clear.  I am going to use this rod for jigging walleye and perch in water under 25' deep.  Which line would be the best for jogging spoons and raps.  Some lakes are pretty clear where I fish. 

Thanks

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Which line?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2019, 08:49 PM »
What size Sienna? If it's a 500, I wouldn't go over 4. If it's a 1000, then you could use 6, maybe 8.

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:51 AM »
I don't anything over 4# on any of my reels that I have now,  I didn't find power pro in anything besides 8# at the two stores I went to.  What is the reason to not go over 4# on that reel, is it the amount of kind you can get on it or because the drag can't handle anything over that?  I have most reels set up with 2-4# fireline because I know it takes a lot to have a break off. I could order some new line so I am still wondering what everyone prefers when jigging, mono, flouro, fireline, or powerpro?

Thanks again

Offline Pheasanttail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:42 AM »
I use 3-4 lb fire line micro ice with a flouro leader for most of my jigging rods unless I’m chasing lakers. I think I get better action with lighter line when using small jigs, and it is easier to detect light bites with light line. The increased sensitivity is nice also as I often fish in 25+ feet. For heavy lures like jigging raps, I still use mono. Everyone has their own preference, so you’ll have to find what works best for you.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01:38 PM »
I got a new combo and need to put line on if before I get out again.  It's a 32" tucr precision with a sienna reel.  I have 8# power pro, 6# clam flouro, 6# trilene flourish, and 4# fireline clear.  I am going to use this rod for jigging walleye and perch in water under 25' deep.  Which line would be the best for jogging spoons and raps.  Some lakes are pretty clear where I fish. 

Thanks

My similar rods (32" MLXF Eyeconic) I have 4lb sufix micro ice on them, then run a 4lb fluoro leader at the end (3 ft). I use them for jigging raps and heavy spoons for crappie, eyes, bass, and perch. Don't use that power pro or fireline, it freezes up and gets stiff and is a pain in the butt! The 6lb fluoro would be ok if you don't mind a little less action on your smaller baits down deep.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Pheasanttail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2019, 02:19 PM »
Don't use that power pro or fireline, it freezes up and gets stiff and is a pain in the butt!
Yep, freezing is more of a problem with braids. For me, the benefits outweigh the negatives. I’ll deal with the pain in the butt, if it results in more fish.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:07 PM »
Fluorocarbon coated nylon lines are pretty good.  ;)
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:47 PM »
I don't anything over 4# on any of my reels that I have now,  I didn't find power pro in anything besides 8# at the two stores I went to.  What is the reason to not go over 4# on that reel, is it the amount of kind you can get on it or because the drag can't handle anything over that?  I have most reels set up with 2-4# fireline because I know it takes a lot to have a break off. I could order some new line so I am still wondering what everyone prefers when jigging, mono, flouro, fireline, or powerpro?

Thanks again

Going with a line heavier than what the reel is designed to hold will cause the line to kink and not come off the spool smoothly and has nothing to do with the drag. The side of the spool should show recommended line size and capacity.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2019, 02:11 PM »
I have used 6 on my 500fd siennas for icing walleye before. Works fine, you are only using what 30' of your line each time.. no need for more than 50 yards on the spool and you arent casting.

I also use 1000 series reels on all of my open water crappie rods, they cast better with 2-4lb line than 500 series. Don't think you HAVE to use what is marked on the reels, that was a big thing going around all the groups last year. Just be smart and stay in the ballpark of what is listed on the reels, ie dont put 20lb mono on a 1000 series reel.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:43 PM »
I put clam frost fluorocarbon on my reel.  When I tied a lure on to have it ready for my next trip out I had a hard tying without kinking in the line.  I ended up tying a palomar knot and it seemed to snug up nicely.  What is the preferred knot with flouro?  If I don't like this line I will go back to fireline and try a flouro or mono leader.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:20 PM »
Improved clinch or uni knot are the best for fluorocarbon. Palomar will make a kink in it at the knot and will break easier. You HAVE to wet fluorocarbon when tying it, otherwise it will burn the line an weaken it. I've never tried that specific fluoro, maybe just bad for knots.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:45 PM »

3# for pannies 6-10# for Walleye
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2019, 07:52 AM »
I was not wetting the line before tightening it, that was probably my issue with the other knots I was trying.  I watched a video on the Shawn Grigsby knot and it seems pretty easy as well.  I'm going out fishing this morning so hopefully I can try a few different ones and see what works best for me. 

Thanks for all the suggestions

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.