Author Topic: I am gonna be somebody now!  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
I am gonna be somebody now!
« on: Jan 14, 2009, 05:08 AM »
Well guys, the newbie came across a deal on a FL-20!  WooHoo.  It will be here tomorrow in time for this weekend.  No more blind fishing for me!  This should help me in my pursuit of Walleye.  They will be mine, oh yes, they will be mine!  :)

Jeff

Offline Marcum Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: I am gonna be somebody now!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2009, 05:13 AM »
seeeeet deal man, congrats on the new vexy.........MM

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2009, 05:14 AM »
That $500.00 FL-20 is just like a $30,000 boat Stueben,it dont catch the fish,it's the person operating it,Good to hear that ya got ya some electronics,best of luck to ya.

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2009, 05:48 AM »
You don't use electronics, Jimmy?

Nice score on the vex!  ;D

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2009, 06:03 AM »
I was using Electronics when you were still Daddys little squirt.............. :D.......But the electronics dont catch the fish,the Angler does.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2009, 06:20 AM »
thats kinda debatable. lol

your catch rate better increase tenfold steuben 1. congrats n have fun bud. remember to jig above those marks.  ;)
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2009, 06:44 AM »
Within two outings you'll wonder how you ever caught one fish before you had it...you'll never regret it
Duane

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:04 AM »
Agreed on all fronts...especially the one about the angler catching the fish not the electronics. Trust me Steuben, there will be times when you will feel like kicking that f@#*^!g Vex. all the way to the moon. Like when you mark giant blobs that you know are what you are after, and after sending everything you own down after em you draw  an ole skunk ola. With that said....if I was 100miles in on a 200mile fishing trip and realized that I forgot my vex.....I would turn around.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline FatRap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:24 AM »
Anything that can help can't be bad.  GO GET THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline leavnsorlips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2009, 10:49 AM »
just got my vex this year and without a shadow of a doubt there are many many many fish that i would not have caught without it!!!!  for example the other night i was catchin bluegill off the bottom in 15 fow and all of a sudden i get a big red blip at 4'!!! reeled up to check it out and next thing ya know i gotta 14" slab layin on the ice. never would have gotten that one without the vex!!!!! and thats just one of many similar situations. like these guys said, dunno how i ever did it without. your gonna love that thing!!!!

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:00 AM »
Well, I'll tell ya.  I am excited.  I have been fishing without one and got to use my dads a week ago and it has actually made me enjoy ice fishing a lot more.  I realize it will not catch them for you, but atleast now I will be able to find them.  I will be on a private lake on Satuday and Sunday I will be at Clear Lake if anyone is gonna be around!

Jeff

Offline Bullgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:07 AM »
you will love this unit, and it will make you a better angler, this is a AWSOME TOOL!!!!!, the vex will show you how to become a more divers angler you will see the fish on the screen an learn what ways you have to move your jig to get them to bite.

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2009, 12:41 PM »
Best ice fishing tool you can own.  I got one a few weeks ago, and will not leave home without it!!   Congrats tight lines ahead ;D

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2009, 01:16 PM »
Agreed on all fronts...especially the one about the angler catching the fish not the electronics. Trust me Steuben, there will be times when you will feel like kicking that f@#*^!g Vex. all the way to the moon. Like when you mark giant blobs that you know are what you are after, and after sending everything you own down after em you draw  an ole skunk ola. With that said....if I was 100miles in on a 200mile fishing trip and realized that I forgot my vex.....I would turn around.
C'mon!!! Really, you'd turn around? I haven't used electronics since I moved back from Minnesota, 7 years ago, still get my fair share of fish. I'm not saying that if I had electronics I wouldn't use them, but if I forgot them at home I'd do my best without. Visualize... if you "pound" your jig up and down the water column, they will come!!! C-ya. Crappie Rob.
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline leavnsorlips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2009, 01:28 PM »
crappie rob!!! that amazes me!!!! i know ya dont need one to catch fish, but when i think of all the opportunities i miss with fish right under me it eats me up!!! please dont take this wrong. i commend ya for the old school frame of mind and dont mean to imply that you dont catch your fair share. i know you do. but personally i wanna catch em all!!!!! i know that aint gonna happen even with the vex, but i gotta say it sure helps!!!! and i need all the help i can get!!!! 

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2009, 01:34 PM »
Yeah, but not fishing because you left it at home!! I've got a few buddies that are completely lost without their electronics, it's baffling to me!! C-ya. Crappie Rob.

Offline Indiana Icefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2009, 01:46 PM »
Personally, I don't have any electronics but would like to have one. If you could only have one thing, would you rather have a vex or a camera? I'm assuming a vex, but am I wrong? Thanks.

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2009, 01:47 PM »
I'd rather have the camera!! C-ya. Crappie Rob.

Offline leavnsorlips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2009, 01:54 PM »
i would do the vex. u can see the whole water column with the vex. with the camera you can only see what is in front of it. granted u can identify the species with the camera but if u are lookin at 8' and a school of fish moves in at 4' or 12', u might as well not have anything down there. just my opinion but 1st the vex then the camera!

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2009, 04:01 PM »
Looking at the big picture. It is an important tool to being successful. Just like auger, rod , jigs ,staying warm and having fun enjoying the sport we all love.
fghklf;hf'hfl;,;';. :'(   WOW! Almost shed a tear!  ;D
Fish ON!
Fish on!

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2009, 04:43 PM »
Hey C-Rob...I'd go back to get mine if I was pulling up in the lot !!! Just like my soft water electronics....I dont have to have them but it can be quite frustrating without them. I'm the type who just has to know whats going on down there.....in my younger days (30 years ago ) I have been known to dive down with a scuba mask and " find " out where the fish were !!!
Duane

Offline Yogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:24 PM »
I carry my vex everytime I go out!! I fish a lot of shallow water and have found that I dont usually like to use it in the shallow water.  I always use it in deep water and dont get me wrong it has helped me catch more fish.  I have also lost a lot of fish by watching the vex and not the spring lol!!! Congrats on the new vex!!!

Offline mjduz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:35 PM »
Anyone ever use a side finder thru the ice.? caught lots of fish with them after looking around a little. mostly in shallower waters.

Offline kidd2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:05 PM »
i always use my vex, what i like the most is when i mark fish, i then put the "evil eye" on my spring bobber, any movement, up or down, or movement in the line, SNAP! hook set! before the vex, it's hard to say how many fish i didn't even know were there. i love it when the fish just yank the rod out of your hand, but you know that doesn't happen much! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.