Author Topic: PANNING CAMERA  (Read 2836 times)

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
PANNING CAMERA
« on: Nov 24, 2012, 02:10 PM »
Does anyone have one? I bought 1 from Cabelas last season. It was a Cabelas brand 7 inch color, paid 300 on sale. Anyway there was problems with it so I returned it with hopes that this year they would have all the bugs removed. I guess they weren't able to make the necessary changes to keep it on their shelves. To date they don't offer it anymore. Marcum makes one for 1199. Way over priced. Does anyone know of any store or brand that is out there? Would like to have one just for the simplicity of being able to locate jig and keep it focused on bait. I have a aquaview and it is hard to keep it where you need it, always wanders off. Opinions?????

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: PANNING CAMERA
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2012, 02:37 PM »
Have you considered one of the tripods?  I haven't used one, but they look like they'd help keep the camera in one direction plus they have a knob to turn the camera. I think they sell them for around 50 bucks.

Offline swamp puppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2012, 02:40 PM »
what companies sell these tripods? i have had the same issue keeping mine aimed where i want it.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2012, 02:44 PM »
Even with the tripods you are still going to experience shifting. So, you will still be spinning your cable to get it set. The panning camera all you do is click the button at 90 degree intervals till you get your target in sight. IMHO

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2012, 03:45 PM »
I have an aquaview and don't have a tripod and don't have an issue.   First thing is to add some weight to the camera.  Use a could of the 'depth finder' clip on weights.  I use 2 clip on weights on the camera, then after lower the camera into the hole I have about a 10" peice of plastic with an alligator clip taped to the middle.  I put the camera cord in the clip to hold it at the depth I want.  To find my lure or pan around I just have to SLOWLY spin the 10" piece of plastic that spans the hole.  Unless a fish runs into the camera it will usually stay where I point it.

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2012, 11:05 PM »
I have an aquaview and don't have a tripod and don't have an issue.   First thing is to add some weight to the camera.  Use a could of the 'depth finder' clip on weights.  I use 2 clip on weights on the camera, then after lower the camera into the hole I have about a 10" peice of plastic with an alligator clip taped to the middle.  I put the camera cord in the clip to hold it at the depth I want.  To find my lure or pan around I just have to SLOWLY spin the 10" piece of plastic that spans the hole.  Unless a fish runs into the camera it will usually stay where I point it.

That's not a bad idea.  My aquaview came with the counterweight at the bottom, so I've never had an issue with it sinking, but keeping it positioned is another issue.  Hanging it from the edge of the hole just doesn't seem to work.  I know Marcum makes the tripods, but I dunno if it would make that much of a difference.  I haven't used the camera much the last couple of years, so I don't know if I'll use it this year much either.

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2012, 08:51 PM »
I'm going to try the cfish R1. it has a rotating camera in the housing. Buying direct is nearly half of what it costs through any of the mil order outfitters.

I got it already but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

So far, my only complaint is that it's only B&W but for that price, I can live with greyscale images.

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2012, 08:32 AM »
I'm going to try the cfish R1. it has a rotating camera in the housing. Buying direct is nearly half of what it costs through any of the mil order outfitters.

I got it already but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

So far, my only complaint is that it's only B&W but for that price, I can live with greyscale images.
X2 they have an ad in the yearly ice fishing magazine. Looks sharp!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2012, 03:47 PM »
That's not a bad idea.  My aquaview came with the counterweight at the bottom, so I've never had an issue with it sinking, but keeping it positioned is another issue.  Hanging it from the edge of the hole just doesn't seem to work.  I know Marcum makes the tripods, but I dunno if it would make that much of a difference.  I haven't used the camera much the last couple of years, so I don't know if I'll use it this year much either.

The weights that came with my aquaview must weigh about 2lbs.  I remove them for Ice fishing as it is just too much and is not needed like in open water when your boat is moving.  A couple of the alligator clip bottom finders seem to be enough for me.  Like you, I have not had it out in a a few years.

Offline turbo3428

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2012, 02:21 PM »
So did you get to try out that cFish R1 camera yet? If so, how'd it work?

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2012, 05:58 AM »
I`m sure you know this,but aqua-vu has the mopod,it sells for about 50 bucks,click the button on the remote and it does all the turning for you.I dont run the weights on mine and I like to turn the camera every once in a while just to see whats around.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:03 AM »
I`m sure you know this,but aqua-vu has the mopod,it sells for about 50 bucks,click the button on the remote and it does all the turning for you.I dont run the weights on mine and I like to turn the camera every once in a while just to see whats around.

Like a school of big perch JT???????Me and Smitty still talk about that

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:15 AM »
OH SNAP,that is a conversation I still have and and memory that will never leave.couldnt have found a better place to hold MONSTER perch.

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2012, 12:58 PM »
So did you get to try out that cFish R1 camera yet? If so, how'd it work?

I tried it out in my living room and it seems to work really well. Nice picture clarity and it has a indicator that tells you which way the camera is pointed. I'm going to be on ice next week and I'll give it a whirl for sure then.

Offline turbo3428

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2012, 06:56 PM »
I tried it out in my living room and it seems to work really well. Nice picture clarity and it has a indicator that tells you which way the camera is pointed. I'm going to be on ice next week and I'll give it a whirl for sure then.

You should post how it worked on the ice for you! I finally couldn't take it anymore with asking anyone and everyone if they have tried it and sucked it up and ordered one so hopefully next weekend I'll get to take it out and try it.

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2012, 07:04 PM »
Fyi I went to Radio Shack an bought one of those recorders that use the SD cards. I recorded a few minutes of video to test it. Now for $88 instead of $200 for the aquaview recorder, I can prove that there really were fish down there.

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2013, 08:34 PM »
I've used the c-fish camera twice now. It works very well! It uses LEDs instead of IR emitters. One advantage to that is that the plankton doesn't look like a total blizzard.

The rotation keeps the fish from sneaking up on you.

The picture is very clear and overall a great value IMHO.

Offline goathead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:10 PM »
What does the c-fish camera go for and how much does the set up weigh?

Offline icecrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No ICE No FISH No Fish No Fun
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:44 PM »
Hey guys I have the cheap camera from cabelas the black and white and love it I bought the tripod last year from fleet farm and Its great can point it right at my bait and watch the fish take it great

Offline icecrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No ICE No FISH No Fish No Fun
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:54 PM »

Pic is a lil big but that's the tripod and it was like $15

Offline wired

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2013, 05:45 AM »
I have a atlantis with a panning camera I would like to sell
ELEVEN MILE SMILE  METAL GODS

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2013, 08:12 AM »
What does the c-fish camera go for and how much does the set up weigh?

The whole thing fits in it's own bag Im not sure of the weight but it mostly the battery anyways. just a little more than my Hmminbird.

Offline goathead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2013, 08:51 AM »
thanks... Manny.       I have an Aqua view but it became more of a hassle to use. it has the tri pod but keeping it pointed where you want it and knowing which way it is pointed got to be a pain. Haven't used it for a few yrs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.