Author Topic: Ducer Down!  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ducer Down!
« on: Jan 03, 2011, 10:04 AM »
Luckily there was only an hour left of fishing but my transducer on my FL-18 went south for the winter. No clicking from the puck...wont work on another unit...Nothing! So, gotta get a new one. The reason for this post is I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with the newer tri beam transducers. It is a  9-12-19 degree transducer with a selection switch to change from one to another. Anyone have one of these and are they an advantage over the traditional 12 degree ducer that comes standard. I have experience with the 19 degree but wanted some opinions on this particular model. I'm sure the 9 degree might be advantageous in really deep water to isolate the cone a little more and add detail past say the 45 ft. depth.

Thanks in advance!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Flattop

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ducer Down!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2011, 10:42 AM »
Those cone angles under 10 degrees are nice for pinpointing.  As an example, the 9 deg. ducer will show just under 4' circle @ 25' depth and the 12 deg. ducer shows 5-1/4' circle @ the same 25' foot depth.  Just gotta figure out whether this is enough difference to justify buying one over the other.

Joe
In life "The day you quit learning, better be the day you quit"
"I learn something new every day, even if it's how not to do something"

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2011, 11:24 AM »
Luckily there was only an hour left of fishing but my transducer on my FL-18 went south for the winter. No clicking from the puck...wont work on another unit...

Jigmup, the same thing happened to me last night, popped the vex down and nothing!  No clicking from the transducer!  Hoping that's all that's wrong with my FL-20!  The wierdo I was fishing with (Slabslammer) has one of those stupid Marcums so I couldn't switch to see.  I am also on the look out for a new transducer.

Steuben1

Offline swillerjig

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2011, 11:25 AM »
I had to get a new one for my fl 8 this year :(  79$ from the vexilar website
Fishing is not a hobby it's a way of life!!!

Offline crappiekilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2011, 11:27 AM »
I bought a fl18 with the tri beam ducer....I haven't flipped it to 20 degree yet.  Usually leave it on 8 or 12
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2011, 11:44 AM »
JUST SEAM TO MAKE SINCE TO GET THE MORE MODERN OR "BETTER" ONE. :P  I HAVE FL-18. :)  IF IT NEEDED A NEW ONE I WOULD GO WITH THE TRI-CONE. :thumbsup:  JUST MY OPINION. ;D
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies but we won't be able to get our hands on the tri beam transducer until the end of January at the soonest, or so the technician at Vexilar says. So....I am darn sure not going to wait until then to use the FL-18 and my son Luke said to keep my grubby paws off his unit. :'( He's getting Lima beans and brussel sprouts with every dinner for a month!

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:30 PM »
I sold my 12 degree and bought the tri-beam and have been really happy with it.  I have not had to turn my gain up above a notch or two and can see things very clearly on my FL-22.  Two points here; there are used ducers available; I sold mine for $50 and second, if you can find a cheap 12 degree, get that and then get the tri-beam when they become available.  Never hurts to have a back up ducer and you could shelf the 12 once you get the tri-beam. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:31 PM »
I sold my 12 degree and bought the tri-beam and have been really happy with it.  I have not had to turn my gain up above a notch or two and can see things very clearly on my FL-22.  Two points here; there are used ducers available; I sold mine for $50 and second, if you can find a cheap 12 degree, get that and then get the tri-beam when they become available.  Never hurts to have a back up ducer and you could shelf the 12 once you get the tri-beam. 
sounds great and thanks for the feedback but do you have any idea where to locate a used 12 degree at. Ebay isn't showing any outside of new.

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:12 PM »
Not sure what they usually sell for, but i noticed a used 12 degree transducer for $49.99, and a new tri-transducer for $125. Both on ebay...!

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:42 PM »
Not sure what they usually sell for, but i noticed a used 12 degree transducer for $49.99, and a new tri-transducer for $125. Both on ebay...!

There is just no way I can justify $125 on a transducer.

Offline ZRWHAT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:45 PM »
Did you check your wiring where the transducer connects to the Head Unit?  I fixed a few of them last year that broke near the head unit from continually being bent when adjusting the screen or getting at the battery.  Just had to strip back the insulation a little solder and was back up and running.  Not saying that the transducers don't go bad but I would check for broken wires first.

BTW: I love lima beans!

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline crappiekilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2011, 05:02 PM »
hell you could get a tri beam at gander for 89 when they first stocked their ice gear out.  That's a lotta loot for a ducer
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Suck it up and drive on troop
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2011, 06:07 PM »
Has anyone checked craigslist I see a 19 deg. for $60 on the grand rapids listing
Prov.27:17 As iron sharpens iron ,so one man sharpens another.

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2011, 06:12 PM »

I agree, with ya, and surely doubt that i would pay that much, either. I read on another thread that a vexilar rep. claimed 2000 tri beam transducers we're arriving in Jan., however they we're to be used for complete units.Apparently won't have anymore this season for for individual purchase. Not sure what happens on a warranty claim....?? They're were a few sent to Gander Mountain in Nov., and apparenty are sold out now, unless you luckily run one down. I guess it's like gasoline prices now....! SUPPLY  and  DEMAND..! If you're not lucky enough too find one, i guess your out of luck, wait till next season, or buy a single degree transducer.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2011, 06:46 PM »
I sold my ducer on Craigslist.  I see them frequently here but can't speak for your area.  You may want to post a "wanted" ad.  I sold mine to a guy that had posted a wanted ad.  It can be a good option.  Personally, if I were buying a used ducer, I'd want to see it before I bought it (vs. ebay, etc).  Just to make sure there were no cuts in the cable housing, cracks in the ducer, etc, etc.  Stuff that even the seller might not have noticed. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2011, 06:53 PM »
8-12-20 degree I have the 22 HD and it works great! If you are using the 20 setting the gain needs to be up slightly around a 2 setting.. if you are around other vexilars you can drop to a tighter cone angle and get rid of some interference sometimes without touching the IR button. I like it!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:39 PM »
Just hooked up the brand new 12 degree Ducer. She's clicking and marked the floor. Calibration is off but I assume that is due to being out of water. It feels good to be back in the game. Look out Perch, here I come!

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:58 PM »
calibration is off by like x 2.5. water is 2.5 times as dense as air....
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:07 PM »
Hold the ducer 2 feet off the floor and turn it on...you should see a bottom mark at 9 ft.  That is what it says on the vex site to test your ducer. 

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:21 PM »
Do u need a flasher for the wkend - I got 1 u can use till your good to go?

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:26 AM »
I appreciate that Walleyepac but mine is up and running. Whew!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.