Author Topic: Monticello Dam  (Read 4074 times)

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Monticello Dam
« on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:37 AM »
Going to fish the south Dam - hopefully sat if waters good, there starting to get the eyes in there, going to have a fish fry and some good times.

Tom
Tom

Offline Enich

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Monticello Dam
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:52 AM »
What do you have the most luck on when fishing below the dams this time of year for walleye?  Water is real cold..

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2009, 11:22 AM »
I use the grey ghost hair jig 1/8-1/16 oz. Sometimes tip with a minnow. The tricky part is to be in the hot spot. I have seen guys catching them right and left and the person next to them never get a bite. There are large rocks at Monticello, that make natural ambush spots for the drifting prey. Good luck. Also, may want to check out Oakdale dam.

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2009, 12:43 PM »
Fished Norway dam yesterday for a couple hours. Two gates open, waters edge does not offer much standing room but enough to fish. NO hits, tried some gulp minnows/leeches w/jigs, and profile baits (shadraps etc). For those interested, the discharge rate was 4.343 kcfs at 7am while I was there. Down dramaticall from last friday 13th which was action stage. (not flood stage) Altho you couldnt tell me that friday. Its steadily coming down by the hour, and surprisingly the water was NOT that dirty.

After no hits, we made the trek to indy to pick up my reman transmission, and hit oakdale dam on the return trip. No hits there either, but we were not using live bait. Ten or so other anglers there, and noone caught any fish. The discharge was 4300 cfs (cubic feet sec) and one gate was open. Last friday the discharge was well over 5500cfs with all gates open. Today its less at 3700 cfs, down from yesterdays 3900 cfs. The water was very dirty, unlike at norway. (weird) We drug up alot of dead shad while jiggin, (nasty, days old). The JT cons club is reporting it slow fishing with some fish there. I spoke to an angler that seen the fish that were reported on JTCC, a 13, 14, and 21 incher. He also seen the 4lb 8oz walleye caught in the slack water beneath the rushing water. A good sign, but still a little early. We need over night temps to hover at 30+ and it will surely improve. Good to get on the dams anyway....Slayer out

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2009, 01:18 PM »
Madkins was the one that got the 21incher, yea water needs to warm a little, but there there. Probably going to fish it sat-and have a fish fry-I got eyes and crappie in the freezer. ;D
Tom

Offline Enich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2009, 01:49 PM »
Thats good info guys - thanks.. may have to get out and try one of dams some time..maybe just go and watch to see whats happening.  Beats sitting around the house these days..

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2009, 02:01 PM »
Tom.....his name eric?

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2009, 02:07 PM »
Mike is his name from Zionsville-his picture is on the Jefferson County website.
Tom

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2009, 04:16 PM »
Pm,d ya Tom....

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2009, 06:11 PM »
heres the 10 lber caught and released there today.
Nice fish-pigs are coming in. dont know the guy but know the spot

Tom
Tom

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2009, 08:34 PM »
I read there was a 10lber caught tonight, helluva pic, thanks Tom. Even better....that  big femaile was released 8)

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2009, 08:36 PM »
One question T...isnt that the groundskeeper?

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:23 PM »
 I also fish both of the dams. Man that pic sure makes me want to head on down there to fish. This weeks forecast is still pretty cold temps. I may wait another week or so.    Love that DAM fishin   HighFlags
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:32 PM »
Dan is his name-I think your right.

them Dams is controlled remotely. only usely some one there during the week.
just big armetuers in there-simple doings.
Tom

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2009, 05:21 AM »
He asked me when we were leaving if I had mt membership card on me. I know its private property there and I wouldnt intrude during the camping season, but I have never been bothered when hittin the dam area for an hour or so. Guess I will have to fish the nipsco side or launch, dont want to cause any trouble. If anyone does go, wear yer waders. The water is still up and out of the bank somewhat, but getting better.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2009, 05:54 PM »
thats one nice eye there!  looks like he has it on a stringer to go home,release in grease.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline B.K.G.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2009, 07:55 PM »
That was one nice walleye. It sure does get the fishing fever going. I might have to go there myself :thumbsup: :clap: :bow:

Offline purduebass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2009, 08:33 PM »
What a PIG!!!! :clap:
BOILER UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On Ice sure is Nice!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2009, 06:43 PM »
Tom & Andy,
Great info and thanks for sharing... Also appreciate ya posting the picture.  That is a pig!  I've been wondering what was going on at the Dam's and now we know.  May have to take a day or two off during the week to avoid the weekend crowds in the near future if it warms up just a bit.  Actually ended my open water season on a good note with my last outting at Oakdale with a 22 incher... Anxious to get back there and get some of those marble eyes.  Thanks again fellas and keep us posted.
Carp

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2009, 06:57 PM »
Not yet ready down there, but soon very soon.lol
Tom
Tom

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2009, 08:42 PM »
   Hey where can I get some DAM bait?    ;D
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2009, 05:12 AM »

Ya, and I have some Dam questions!   ;D

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2009, 06:35 AM »

AT THE DAM BAIT STORE HIGH FLAGS IS WHERE I'DE START AT.................... . :D :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.