Author Topic: Tip-up Preferences  (Read 26647 times)

Offline pyle

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip-up Preferences
« Reply #60 on: Mar 08, 2007, 02:05 PM »
Anyone know were i can get some Heritage lakers??? Ive been looking all over and only one place(fishusa) had them and they were sold out. Believe it or not LL Bean also had them but they wanted $30 apiece.

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #61 on: Mar 08, 2007, 05:38 PM »
kittery had them last week 14.99!   d. b. d.      :tipup:
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline pyle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Mar 08, 2007, 05:39 PM »
and Kittery would be? is there a website for em?

Offline SLH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Mar 08, 2007, 05:42 PM »
and Kittery would be? is there a website for em?
  Kittery Trading Post in Maine.  I believe there is a web site for them.

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #64 on: Mar 08, 2007, 07:26 PM »
I've seen Lakers at a few different Walmart stores here in Central NY.  Not sure if every location will have them.  I think they were around 17.50.
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline FishinAddiction

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Is A Sport, That Makes Me An Athlete
« Reply #65 on: Mar 09, 2007, 06:03 AM »
I believe Onota Boat Livery in Pittsfield Mass. has them also.

Offline BigG3206

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Mar 09, 2007, 04:39 PM »
Kittery Trading Post has them

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!!

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Mar 30, 2007, 03:56 PM »
Peteamus...I'll take you up on that 5 to 1 bet.....you live anywhere near upstate NY??

How do you keep the reels from freezing after your first pike runs line out?? 
Windlass are a general P.I.T.A. Hate dealing with them, problem is they do seem to work, damn it! Still use a couple if the weathers right. For freezing reels I use mono line and a dab of smelly jelly. Other than that polars w/big spool work for me.

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 27, 2007, 02:08 PM »
absolutely positively beaver dams (arctic fisherman) i have used them since i began ice fishing, and everybody i know uses them i have never had to replace one yet and have tried others but the beaver dam can take abuse like no other.   
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Dec 27, 2007, 08:24 PM »
repeat of my earlier post in Tip up forum:

Beaver Dam by Arctic Fisherman. http://www.beaverdamtipup.com/benefits.cfm

I looked at the Jack Trap and Lakers, but I don't like the free spooling look of them. I like to see the spin trigger as I am approaching so I know if the fish is moving or not before I get there.

In my opinion Beaver Dam's are the sturdiest, most reliable on the market. They take a beating and need very little if any maintenance. Regardless of the weather they have never failed me.

Offline Elk5012

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hey PIKE ME!
« Reply #70 on: Dec 27, 2007, 10:04 PM »
I like the after ice fishing season cheapie frabill wooden ones for less than 8 bucks

<'(((((((((>{[move]

Offline MikeMunn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #71 on: Dec 27, 2007, 10:14 PM »
There's Jack Traps and then there's everything else.

Offline FishinAddiction

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Is A Sport, That Makes Me An Athlete
« Reply #72 on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:47 AM »
There's Jack Traps and then there's everything else.

I Agree!

Offline team95monte

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing more beautiful than a tip up at sunset.
« Reply #73 on: Dec 28, 2007, 07:12 PM »
Go with the Beaver Dam's.  They are the epitomy of heavy duty tip ups.
SCREW CATCH AND RELEASE, HOOK EM AND COOK EM!!!!

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Dec 28, 2007, 07:18 PM »
   :clap:  Arctic Fishermans / Beaver Dams   :clap:   

Offline Bear32

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Dec 29, 2007, 03:32 PM »
    Jack Traps hands down.... They are the best on the market. These are lifetime trap's , you don't have to modify them or do anything else to them. Just fish them hard. ;D

Offline fish time

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • i live to fish
« Reply #76 on: Dec 29, 2007, 08:18 PM »
    Jack Traps hands down.... They are the best on the market. These are lifetime trap's , you don't have to modify them or do anything else to them. Just fish them hard. ;D
listen to the man :tipup:
from big ice to small ice i will be out there me and my bumpa

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #77 on: Dec 29, 2007, 09:04 PM »
for the toothy critters i love using beaver dams

Offline fish time

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • i live to fish
« Reply #78 on: Dec 29, 2007, 09:49 PM »
are those beaver dams hard to see in deep snow
from big ice to small ice i will be out there me and my bumpa

Offline PhatboyC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:21 AM »
are those beaver dams hard to see in deep snow

Funny thing. When I was younger we always used simple 2 piece balanced tip-up. So when it was time for me to buy my own I was captivated by the Beaver Dam type made by South Bend. It was luring me with it's shinny metals and lacquered wood. I couldn't resist. When it was time to set it up I had now idea how since it didn't came with instructions. After a little while I though I had it figured it out...

Only to find out this week after browsing this forum that I had set it up wrong! Instead of laying the support post horizontally across the hole, I made mine stand upright using auger slush. Just like you do with 2 piece balanced tip-up!

Now that I see how it's supposed to be I'm glad I'm not setting it that way. The reel doesn't sit in water. The shaft will never need to be re-lubricated.  I can reel up the line without moving the whole tip-up. And it is more visible on the ice. What you think?

Offline pikefishmen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:29 AM »
ht polar therm

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 01, 2008, 01:49 PM »
Funny thing. When I was younger we always used simple 2 piece balanced tip-up. So when it was time for me to buy my own I was captivated by the Beaver Dam type made by South Bend. It was luring me with it's shinny metals and lacquered wood. I couldn't resist. When it was time to set it up I had now idea how since it didn't came with instructions. After a little while I though I had it figured it out...

Only to find out this week after browsing this forum that I had set it up wrong! Instead of laying the support post horizontally across the hole, I made mine stand upright using auger slush. Just like you do with 2 piece balanced tip-up!

Now that I see how it's supposed to be I'm glad I'm not setting it that way. The reel doesn't sit in water. The shaft will never need to be re-lubricated.  I can reel up the line without moving the whole tip-up. And it is more visible on the ice. What you think?

I think your using the tipup in a way that it was not designed to be used. That tipup was designed for the reel to be submerged under the water. If you want to fish your tipups that way I cant see the harm but I know what I would think if I was tooling across the lake and saw a bunch of Beaver Dams stuck into auger slush upright on their end :cookoo:. Hey, you asked.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #82 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:22 PM »
Before anyone starts in on me about this, it is legal in Montana to leave your tipups out for 24 hours before they have to be checked. I try to check mine about every 3 - 6 hours. Just my $0.02. ;D
Eastern Montana Whatpole....we have to have them in our "control" on the West Side.....which sucks I might add!!!

Offline lexman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:28 PM »
This is going to my first year really targeting pike through the ice and I'm curious if you guys prefer one style tip up over the others. I was thinking about picking up some of the round ones but I'm worried that they might be hard to get off the hole / ice. What are your guys' thoughts on this? What are some of the pros and cons of the different styles?

Jason
  I like the polars the best, then I would have to say the magnetic ones.

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:29 PM »
I like the HT polar therm because the spool is submerged which prevents the line from freezing when the temp is -20 and below like it often is this time of year.  The Windlass is also a nice tip up when it's warmer, it's very easy to set the bait at exactly the right height and you can add some jigging action if you want.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #85 on: Feb 02, 2008, 01:38 AM »
I like the HT polar therm because the spool is submerged which prevents the line from freezing when the temp is -20 and below like it often is this time of year.  The Windlass is also a nice tip up when it's warmer, it's very easy to set the bait at exactly the right height and you can add some jigging action if you want.

I agree with you on the therms and windlass tip-ups.  I like the therms for cold days and windlass on warm days.  Have had pike nail one windlass, then nail my other windlass.  Pulled the pike in and thought it had too many quick strike rigs in it's mouth, looked at my other tip ups and seen a popped flag on the other windlass.  Thought it was pretty funny.  I had other tip ups out that day, but the only action I had was on the windlass tip-ups.  Just my $.02.

Offline PhatboyC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:57 AM »
Here is something to think about. If your line is froze in the hole, and you think you have a nice fish on, it is a pain to try to chip around the line without cutting it. Where as, if the tipup is being used properly, you don't have to worry about nicking and/or cutting the line. Before anyone starts in on me about this, it is legal in Montana to leave your tipups out for 24 hours before they have to be checked. I try to check mine about every 3 - 6 hours. Just my $0.02. ;D

Your point is good if your lines stays in for a long period. I was using balanced tip-up before and clean the hole now and then. My setup is the same idea and we never had any problems.

I say give it a try. Perhaps you'll love all the advantages I mentioned and won't go back. Plus it's free.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #87 on: Feb 03, 2008, 01:10 PM »
ht polar therm

pikefishmen,

If you like the HT Polar Therms, try the HT Polr Therm Extreme tip ups.  I purchased a set and love them. 

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #88 on: Dec 26, 2008, 08:53 PM »
Yep. I have 6! ;D
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #89 on: Dec 27, 2008, 12:04 AM »
ht polar tipups only!
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.