The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: New Spear  (Read 3579 times)

Offline riverrat22

• IceShanty Rookie
New Spear
« on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:00 PM »
Looking for a new spear and there was two kinds i was looking at. A harded steel and stainless steel spear. Whats the difference and what would be the better choice?

Heres the lind for one of them.  https://littlejimssports.com/products/Ice-Fishing-Spear-7-tines-Stainless-Steel-.html

What do you think and is there a better one out there for the price?

Thanks

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
Re: New Spear
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2013, 09:17 AM »
A lot of guys are using this spear.  They are made by the same guy in Minnesota.  Little Jim's doesn't have the black one in stock, and they haven't for a while.  Good luck getting it there.  You can get it online in Ebay.  The stainless is more money.  I am hoping that is because they used a better alloy stainless and it won't break as easy.  Not sure though.  The seller is friends with the maker.  The price is quite a bit higher now too.  I called the guy two weeks ago to see if they could do a custom spear, but he said no.  I want a 9-tine that is around 9 inches wide.  Overall, I think it is a pretty good spear, but I haven't seen one in person. 
  BE THERE!

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2013, 09:18 AM »
To add to this, does anyone know how to find the maker of the spear on Laska's Decoys site?  He listed his name as Chuck Gerad, but I can't find any info on him.  He is supposed to be taking over the Kraemer and Fabeck style spears.
  BE THERE!

Offline JCrean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:04 PM »
To add to this, does anyone know how to find the maker of the spear on Laska's Decoys site?  He listed his name as Chuck Gerad, but I can't find any info on him.  He is supposed to be taking over the Kraemer and Fabeck style spears.

Chuck is building me one right now.

Currently Kraemer, Fabeck, and Gerad are all using the same jigs.  Fabeck is 2 years backed up, as is Chuck.  Kraemer only makes 2 spears per year, and they start at 500 and go up to 1500  :o.

Offline JCrean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2013, 05:56 PM »
Just got off the phone with member Blackhawk.  It seems he has perfected the art of welding high-carbon tool steel tips onto his already amazing stainless spears.

His spear far and away out preforms my others.  It flies like a bullet and the fish STICK.  There is literally zero maintenance on the stainless as well.

Needless to say, after a short conversation, I've ordered yet another spear from him!

Can't wait to get it bloody!!!

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:21 PM »
Nice Brant, can't wait!!!!!!!!

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2013, 12:24 AM »
;)

Thanks again Jason.

I will try and capture some of the process this week while crafting this new "state of the art"  spear.  Look for a new thread in a few days.
see I told you to just do it, lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.