Author Topic: This weekend 2-22-20 in Northwestern CO ice fishing - The bite is back!  (Read 842 times)

Offline WesternSlopeFlyNIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
after last months dulldrum, the bite is back with the Chironomid hatch!

They are cruisin 1-2 ft from the bottom in grassy beds snacking on chironomids!

If you can drop some flies they work great! they still hit on the standard fare, but are super duper picky about it!

Fished Friday & Sunday, pulled some nice piggies! brought some boys who have never iced fished before and the fishing gods blessed us with a sun-filled slush-less day! pics below (i used damn near all my gear this weekend!)

--Probably the last weekend i will harvest trout, the females have dropped their eggs! they will taste bad and also i want a crapload of fingerlings for the seasons ahead!

Offline troutbiscuits

• IceShanty Rookie
Awesome pictures! Looks like you had an amazing time out there.

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
That's awesome! Glad you found some success after your last month. Thanks for the info and nice pics!

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yah man, the slush froze up, the sun come out, and the temps are in the negative.

best time of year for ice fishing, Mid feb to late march!

The chironimid hatch is going very strong, now i know what they are on i can pop em until ice off!

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Much more enjoyable when the slush is to a minimal. I love chasing trout but some of the lakes are just too much. I have noticed soutwest fishing has been a bit easier when it comes to slush.
Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

• Team IceShanty Regular
oh man its such a pleasure to not have to drag a heavy sled through 1+foot of slush.

seems like up here, the ice gets nice and solid late feb - march!

taking my mom out next weekend, she is from FL and doesnt do well with the cold. she wants to join me though so ... i'm going to have a heavy sled this weekend lol.

Offline troutbiscuits

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking at your pictures pretty sure I know where you are (don't worry I won't hotspot it)! I love that lake. I caught my PB Bow there as a 15 year old kid fishing with my dad, 27 inches and fat.  Been chasing that fish ever since.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Damn 27 inches would be hard to beat, my PB is 23 inches in the last 2 seasons lol.

the spawn is coming though... i know where the salmon sized trout like to spawn ;P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.