Author Topic: Largemouth Bass grind finally paid off!  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Largemouth Bass grind finally paid off!
« on: Feb 18, 2020, 02:27 PM »
This winter has been great for me and my team as far as catching various Trout species goes...Besides Yellow Perch, our warmwater species success has been abysmal ??? ??? We have went after warmwater several other times and failed to make a video. Today's episode, at least the grind paid off!

We landed a few largemouth, nothing huge but fun catches! I'm glad my GF was there or we probably wouldn't have been able to make an episode lol...Sam outfished me and let me hear about it most of the evening/night :P It was good to see a smile from ear to ear ;D all day though on her face!

Hope you guys enjoy the video, It was just at a pond not too far from where I live.

Offline WesternSlopeFlyNIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Largemouth Bass grind finally paid off!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2020, 04:09 PM »
I look forward to the day when my partner outfishes me!

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2020, 08:13 PM »
I look forward to the day when my partner outfishes me!

It's always fun when it happens, because she's in an ultra good mood! It hasn't happened where she outfishes me and I get skunked so we'll see how I feel then :P lol.
 2nd time in the last year now she has beaten me...She never did the first 3 years of us fishing together...Soon she'll beat me every time!! :o

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2020, 08:14 PM »
Nice green carps! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2020, 10:19 AM »
Nice green carps! ;D

Thanks Slayer!!!  ;D  ;D

Offline earlyrise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2020, 10:46 AM »
Nice job good video

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2020, 08:26 PM »
Nice job good video

Really appreciate that! Thought we were going to go there and catch them all day, that place has ALOT of bass in it. Next time though! Glad you enjoyed it!!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2020, 09:43 AM »
Good job as usual. You may need to reach out to Bigassbassman, Slayer, or King Kong to get wise on optimal bass terminal tackle. Sam's UglyStik is probably a better choice in those

waters than your Eagle Claw pool cue.  Good to see the power auger in play.

Sam, I hope you take this the right way, but tradition dictates that in bass photos one must actually kiss the bass on the lips before release. YouTube videos will confirm this tradition.

The kiss should conform with local community standards of decency and hygiene but actual lip to lip contact is required. Celebrity style air kisses are not acceptable.

I look forward to your next bass adventure.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline gottafish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2020, 08:44 AM »
I miss bucket mouths through the ice. A nickel PK always worked well

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2020, 03:40 PM »
Nice video, and nice bass guys!  I haven't been spending too much time on IceShanty recently...such a weird winter.  Ice fishing has sort of taken a back seat for me.  Shaun and I have tried a few times to get on the bass lakes and ponds we like to target, but it just hasn't happened on the front range this season.  The "bass grind" for me didn't even get started this year.   :P ???

Bass sure are fun to catch through the ice.  Nothing like hooking into a 5 lber on an ultralight jigging rod and fighting them through a 6" hole. I don't eat em, purely for sport. But they get the blood pumping, for sure!  I've caught them through the ice on anything from small nuclear ants to bigger jigs and spoons.  When I'm starting in the morning targeting bass, I always begin with something that rattles as a search bait. Rattlemasters, rattlin flyers, etc. Just to call them in. Once they show up, they'll either eat it without question, or they'll show you how they're feeling. You can always downsize to something smaller (or quieter) if they won't commit to the rattle pattern. Tungsten jigs with plastics are a good second option to have ready. I've also had great luck with chubby darters targeting bass through the ice.  Just depends on how aggressive they are on a given day.

I wish we had a few ponds out here iced up like that one you filmed at!  I've been wanting to try that one for a while, too, maybe next year. 
Here's a pig from two years ago:
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2020, 09:23 PM »
Good job as usual. You may need to reach out to Bigassbassman, Slayer, or King Kong to get wise on optimal bass terminal tackle. Sam's UglyStik is probably a better choice in those

waters than your Eagle Claw pool cue.  Good to see the power auger in play.

Sam, I hope you take this the right way, but tradition dictates that in bass photos one must actually kiss the bass on the lips before release. YouTube videos will confirm this tradition.

The kiss should conform with local community standards of decency and hygiene but actual lip to lip contact is required. Celebrity style air kisses are not acceptable.

I look forward to your next bass adventure.

Thanks Stinky! I had a lipless style jig on there, was trying to get some attention. Hard part was finding the fish, not landing them.
Sam laughed at that...She won't be kissing them anytime soon she says lol.  ;D

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2020, 09:29 PM »
Nice video, and nice bass guys!  I haven't been spending too much time on IceShanty recently...such a weird winter.  Ice fishing has sort of taken a back seat for me.  Shaun and I have tried a few times to get on the bass lakes and ponds we like to target, but it just hasn't happened on the front range this season.  The "bass grind" for me didn't even get started this year.   :P ???

Bass sure are fun to catch through the ice.  Nothing like hooking into a 5 lber on an ultralight jigging rod and fighting them through a 6" hole. I don't eat em, purely for sport. But they get the blood pumping, for sure!  I've caught them through the ice on anything from small nuclear ants to bigger jigs and spoons.  When I'm starting in the morning targeting bass, I always begin with something that rattles as a search bait. Rattlemasters, rattlin flyers, etc. Just to call them in. Once they show up, they'll either eat it without question, or they'll show you how they're feeling. You can always downsize to something smaller (or quieter) if they won't commit to the rattle pattern. Tungsten jigs with plastics are a good second option to have ready. I've also had great luck with chubby darters targeting bass through the ice.  Just depends on how aggressive they are on a given day.

I wish we had a few ponds out here iced up like that one you filmed at!  I've been wanting to try that one for a while, too, maybe next year. 
Here's a pig from two years ago:
(Image removed from quote.)

I've heard/seen stuff about how warm and how rough the ice conditions have been for you front range guys this year. Heard about the multitude of people falling through too :( That's really tough and sorry to hear that.

I can't wait for that day to happen where one of us lands a tank like that through the ice. Hoping maybe this year but if not, next season. THANK YOU for that information, that's very helpful. I was trying similar tactics that day with lipless style lures. Wound up using the rattlin ned for the same purpose. Hardest part was finding them! That pond in the video is full of bass though, I've fished it open water several times and done exceptionally well. So that's why I was surprised in the video. Sorry to hear that you haven't been able to get on that ice bass grind. Hoping you get to at least once, otherwise hopefully next season. It's been a weird winter for sure, up here in the mountains though it still gets pretty cold so we got good ice...And the Mesa Lakes are all above 9.5k so they're always good every year it seems. That fish is a TANK!!! thanks for sharing, hoping to get one like that soon!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.