Author Topic: Planning a trip to Rifle Gap, Any sagely advice would be appriciated!  (Read 1022 times)

Offline WesternSlopeFlyNIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
I live in NW co. walleye, perch and crappie are tough to find out here. a buddy of mine and i are planning a nice day trip out to rifle gap to chase perch, crappie and walleye.

I did some research and found that Red and Golden shiners live there.
i also have a map of the lake bottom.

What do you guys recommend? i was thinking of using Pimples with waxies and mealies
i was planning on trying some of the drop-off basins i can see on my map

any tips on rifle gap, spots, bait, times?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! (its at least a 2 hour drive for me lol)

Really looking forward to trying perch for the first time, and if i'm lucky a nice 18inch> walleye (cant keep unless 18>)

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Be prepared for deep snow and slush.   ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
I live in NW co. walleye, perch and crappie are tough to find out here. a buddy of mine and i are planning a nice day trip out to rifle gap to chase perch, crappie and walleye.

I did some research and found that Red and Golden shiners live there.
i also have a map of the lake bottom.

What do you guys recommend? i was thinking of using Pimples with waxies and mealies
i was planning on trying some of the drop-off basins i can see on my map

any tips on rifle gap, spots, bait, times?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! (its at least a 2 hour drive for me lol)

Really looking forward to trying perch for the first time, and if i'm lucky a nice 18inch> walleye (cant keep unless 18>)

All I have to say is Good luck out there...Attempted to fish there several times this year with no luck. I've been on the dam wall and on the transition point by the island, facing the dam wall. Last time I was there I saw two people moving around that area a lot as well that were struggling..So just don't try there I guess...I have marked one fish in about 9 hours of fishing there. I can't wait to see your pics of some big walleye, trout, or perch! :)

Offline Pheasanttail

• IceShanty Rookie
The navionics map of Rifle Gap is largely useless. The lake bottom gradually slopes towards the dam from both the east and west and there is a large island that is not on the map. Pimples and waxies are probably fine. The hard part of fishing Rifle  is finding fish. Keep moving.

• Team IceShanty Regular
yah thats what i told my buddy "bro we need the vexilars for this"
he doesnt like sonar too much, he's an old-school trout fisherman.

but i have 3 sonars, trying to get a 3rd guy to go with us so we can cover more water

i plan on bringing 3 vexilars and 3 augers so we can swiss cheese the crap out of that lake!

Thank you for the info, i hope i will have some awesome pics for you all!

• Team IceShanty Regular
Be prepared for deep snow and slush.   ;D

i ice fish every weekend. this year i might have had 2-3 days where the slush was frozen.

slush is just a fact of life for ice fishing up here in NW co

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Iced R-Gap 3 times in December. Got 20perch. Then 9 perch. Then 1 perch.A ll at 44-60 ft deep on west end. B4 the slush! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Fish are tough to find there...  ;)

PM sent.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

• Team IceShanty Regular
My warm water Res. is also hit or miss, and difficult to find the fish.

even when i do find them, its even harder to get them to stick around long enough to bite!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.