Author Topic: What bait-fish live up here in the northwest colorado mountains?  (Read 929 times)

Offline WesternSlopeFlyNIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
for as much time as i spend on rivers/lakes, the only baitfish ive seen was a sculpin that i actually caught once, and one time i saw some minnow looking things in the stomach of a trout last summer. ( i see minnow-type fish in the river somewhat frequently, but have yet to see a live minow in the lakes"

you cant fish with live bait this side of the devide, but i'd like to know so i can start studying the baitfish behavior to better match the hatch.

Can you use one of those green lights at night to attract a bait ball out here?

Offline troutbiscuits

• IceShanty Rookie
If you do attract a bait ball would be super cool to see what you find! I have wondered this myself. I know trout are very cannibalistic and eat alot of other trout. Sometimes it amazes me. Last year I was using a 5" Bomber Long A RBT trout pattern to "match the hatch" for fingerling trout in one lake and 13" browns were slamming it.

• Team IceShanty Regular
the trout are VERY cannibalistic. I've pulled in browns with rainbows half their size stuck in their throats.
(i'll post the pic if i find it)
Anyway, i'll let you know what i come across if there is any new info. no idea what species those river minows are. i'll net some in a month or two

• Team IceShanty Regular
UPDATE: Rifle Gap res. has 2 types of baitfish , at least
Golden Shiner:
Red Shiner:

I expect one of my Res. has these fish as well.

Will update as detail unfolds!

• Team IceShanty Regular
If you do attract a bait ball would be super cool to see what you find! I have wondered this myself. I know trout are very cannibalistic and eat alot of other trout. Sometimes it amazes me. Last year I was using a 5" Bomber Long A RBT trout pattern to "match the hatch" for fingerling trout in one lake and 13" browns were slamming it.

in my neck of the woods, brown trout are known "meat eaters"
and in my experience i have cought more than one brown with a fish in its mouth - half the size!

Offline troutbiscuits

• IceShanty Rookie
in my neck of the woods, brown trout are known "meat eaters"
and in my experience i have cought more than one brown with a fish in its mouth - half the size!

I kept a 17" brown that was shaped like a football for dinner once. He had 7 of the 5" rainbow fingerlings that were recently stocked in his stomach and tried to eat another (my jerkbait). Gluttony got the best of him....

On another note I notice you are from Yampa Valley? Whereabouts? My mom grew up in Yampa Colorado. I used to spend alot of time hunting and fishing up there before my grandfather passed away. Some of the best fishing to be had in Colorado in my opinion.

• Team IceShanty Regular
It's great fishing at certain times of the year, and can be dead at other times. i live in Craig.

once you get to know the area, you can find good fishing all year round. Lakes are better at some times, the river is better at some times.

i fish up near yampa for early ice and in summer! (bear river part)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.