Author Topic: removing rib cage from filets  (Read 11807 times)

Offline ripndalips

• IceShanty Rookie
removing rib cage from filets
« on: Jan 29, 2008, 01:24 PM »
Hi I have a bowl of fresh perch filets but I dont know how to remove the bones w/o ruining the filet.  any help and or pics would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
Re: removing rib cage from filets
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2008, 01:26 PM »

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:07 AM »
wish i had pics, but i have a better way
from the inside, cut through just above the ribs.
flip it over, and starting from the rear, just below your first cut, run your knife between the ribs and the meat, fileting out the ribs.
when you're done, it looks kind of like a pair of pants.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2008, 10:57 AM »
wish i had pics, but i have a better way
from the inside, cut through just above the ribs.
flip it over, and starting from the rear, just below your first cut, run your knife between the ribs and the meat, fileting out the ribs.
when you're done, it looks kind of like a pair of pants.
Exactly the way I just taught myself to do it. I always fillet the rib cage on walleyes and figured I should be able to do it with perch. With a little trial and error I figured it out. It's like adding half again to your catch.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline ripndalips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2008, 12:26 PM »
Thanks I will have to try that next time.  I cooked these ones with the bones in.  Not to hard to pick the bone out. 

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2008, 07:53 PM »
have your wife clean em....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2008, 10:15 PM »
i just cut 'em out after the fillet is off the skin  :-\ around here they don't get much meat by the ribs anyway. plus it makes them into fish stick shapes!

Offline troutaddict33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2008, 10:06 AM »
I do the "pants method" too... if you catch enough it's worth doin u get a decent amount of extra meat

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2008, 08:54 AM »
have your wife clean em....

Yeah, let's do that! And then when she's done just tell her to shut up and lay down! (Just make sure you've made out your last will and testament. And that you've said your final goodbye's to all your friends because you probably won't be around much longer!)   :pinch:

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2008, 06:03 PM »
I always remove the ribs when i clean then up but if you find your losing too much meat just leave them in until there cooked then pull them out.

Offline hamlin big daddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perch Herder
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2008, 03:33 PM »
Not enough to worry about on the ribs. Just angle in when cutting the rib cage out. Practice makes perfect. Found cheap electric bread knife works the best for filleting as the blade is flexible. 9" blade is best in my opinion. Key is not to cut through the backbone when removing the fillet as you got your work cut out for you if you do. 

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2008, 03:47 PM »
Hamlin is correct,
I have used up a few of the "Electric Fillet Knives". The $16.00 Hamilton Beach from Target has outlasted them all.

I remove the fillet, ribcage and all, from the skin. I then use a fork and the electric knife to remove the ribcage. I hold the fillet in place by inserting the fork next to the ribcage pressing through the fillet to the cutting board. I then run the knife blade along the fork and "scoop" out the ribcage. It's very quick.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline biggeorge50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2008, 07:20 PM »
If you cut through the backbone, and who doesn't, stop immediately and filet it from the tail up.  Works good for me.

Offline hamlin big daddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perch Herder
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2008, 03:55 AM »
You got it. ;D

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:54 AM »
Thanks for posting on this guys.  I just filleted my first few perch this past weekend (actually, first fish I've ever filleted) and it seeemed straightforward enough but this helps.  I used to always "shuck" 'em like this

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline troutaddict33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2010, 12:13 PM »
wow that would be a pain in the balls to eat them like that... glad you figured out the filleting

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2010, 01:16 PM »
wow that would be a pain in the balls to eat them like that... glad you figured out the filleting
they "peel" pretty easily, but you have to make sure they're cooked enough to fall off the bone. It's not a big deal if it's the way you grew up eating 'em and don't know any other way.  I think the amount of meat I got from filleting was about the same, but definitely better not worrying about bones

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2010, 07:51 PM »
8-9 inch perch are pretty good around here, so I scale, then fillet them leaving the skin on.  The wife and I do our other pan fish the same way.

What ever works the best for you.

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:41 PM »
and i hope you guys dont throw them zipper bones away(the part where the fish is connected to the backbone aka pinbones) do ya??? there is alot of meat on there that can be cooked,ground up and made into fish cakes very good and dont even know the bones were ever in there... try it sometime guys let me know what ya think         EYEFISHERMAN    D.T.
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2010, 06:13 PM »
and i hope you guys dont throw them zipper bones away(the part where the fish is connected to the backbone aka pinbones) do ya??? there is alot of meat on there that can be cooked,ground up and made into fish cakes very good and dont even know the bones were ever in there... try it sometime guys let me know what ya think         EYEFISHERMAN    D.T.

If nothing else a great fish stock for chowder or ?

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2010, 06:34 PM »
very good idea also, but thats what i use all my shrimp,lobster and crab shells for,much better stock than a bunch of bones  ;) ;D ;D ;D   EYEFISHERMAN    D.T.
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2010, 06:49 PM »
Hard to catch those in Wisconsin though ;D

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2010, 07:12 PM »
yup i dont catch them here in pa either!!! but the market still has them all year!! ;D ;D ;) ;) lol    EYEFISHERMAN   D.T.

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:29 AM »
yup i dont catch them here in pa either!!! but the market still has them all year!! ;D ;D ;) ;) lol    EYEFISHERMAN   D.T.

That's true, but they make you pay BEFORE they let you leave. ::) :o ;)

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:31 PM »
just rip them off.

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2011, 05:56 PM »
perch, bluegill, bass, walleye etc all are filleted the same way.
cut down to the backbone starting at the head.
flip the knife over and go back to the tail. leave the skin attached to the backbone.
flip the fillet over and remove the skin. the skin stays attached to the backbone.
repeat other side.
lay the fillet on the cutting board, tail to you.  cut straight down at the top of the ribs.  when you get to the bottom of the ribs (vent) make a slight twist  of the knife and you'll have a J shaped fillet on one side and the ribs on the other.
if the fish is big enough, flip over the rib section, bone down. tail toward you again.
feel the pin bones at the top of the ribs.  run your knife straight down the edge of them to the ribs.
roll your knife and remove the ''little fillet'' toward the belly.
if you are doing walleye, don't forget to cut out the cheeks.   save them up in a container in the freezer.   when you have a bunch, make yourself some poormans scallops.

Offline BadFishMI

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing all day n night in Charlevoix The Beautifu
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2011, 10:24 PM »

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 16, 2011, 10:31 AM »
i always leave the belly wont eat that that has the highest amount of contaminents thats the fatty part

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.