The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Fished Great Pond today  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fished Great Pond today
« on: Feb 07, 2023, 06:43 PM »
The one in Great Pond.  18 solid inches of ice, it was hard and seemed consistent everywhere we drilled.   Not much snow cover and kind of slick.  Something over 20 flags before I lost count and mostly Pickeral and Perch.  All but one fish released and that one ended up with an eagle who had been watching us scarfing up mangled minnows.  The fish was pretty torn up, so we gave it to him since it wouldn't have lived anyway.   Today there were only 3 of us out and conditions were excellent except for the absence of the browns.   We had 15 holes from shallow to pretty deep, but the trout seemed to be on vacation somewhere else.

They are hosting another derby there on the 18th and 19th for the Aroura Volunteer fire department. I'm not a fan of derby's but they don't seem to kill the fishing there.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fished Great Pond today
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2023, 07:45 AM »
Most of our ponds have small fish because of over population lack of food,

Offline slimeypete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2023, 12:56 PM »
Good to hear that the ice is holding up. Ill be up there in a few weeks on Pinkhams Cove. We have fished other parts of Great but never Pinkhams, any info on how the cove is in terms of species and depths? We primarily target bass and pike most years. Thanks
Eat, sleep, and Fish = A Happy Life

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2023, 05:10 PM »
Good to hear that the ice is holding up. Ill be up there in a few weeks on Pinkhams Cove. We have fished other parts of Great but never Pinkhams, any info on how the cove is in terms of species and depths? We primarily target bass and pike most years. Thanks

Don't believe we are talking about the same Great Pond.  Sounds like you mean the one in the Belgrades.  The one I went to is in Hancock County.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.