Author Topic: Hot dogs and other things  (Read 39601 times)

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Hot dogs and other things
« Reply #330 on: Feb 03, 2023, 01:25 PM »
Degrees are funny 'ol things. I've got 2 BAs and I've spent my entire post college career in factory work. I didn't wanna live in the city, so I went where the money was out in the sticks. I started doing grunt work and ended up working myself into a cushy desk job... partially because the degrees, but moreso I was willing to put in the time doing grunt work to prove I was more reliable than a flat tire and not completely incompetent.

Meanwhile, I have seen several college classmates spend pretty healthy chunks of time unemployed holding out for that cushy desk job out of the gate. People are silly 🤷‍♂️

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #331 on: Feb 03, 2023, 01:27 PM »
sounds like cousin Eddie holding out for a management job!!!!  Out of curiosity i would of asked what his degree was in they will give you a degree in virtually anything now a days if you want to pay for it.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #332 on: Feb 03, 2023, 01:30 PM »
Only one mitten, ..oh oh..

So. Funny story, guy comes in here for a job interview, hes here from Kenya on a work Visa,(I find this out AFTER the fact) so I show him around,explain what he would be doing, we get to the sand blasting area, I tell him he would be taking down filters and cleaning  them( dirty job) he says I ain't doing that I have a degree..I told him we have enough  dead weight in the office and his degree is useless here and showed him the door.. no chance he was going to even get a notice, just another  example of worthless education brought on.by funding colleges Instead of teaching  "our" children what they need to survive, there was a time when a degree meant something and it was something  that was earned.. I dont think it's like that for the most part anymore.. that's my sad tale for today.. My grandson just got his masters from Northeastern,  something to do with statistics,he learned more about life and how to take care of himself from his grandmother and I than he did the last 2 years in school.. now hes holding out for a big money job, luckily, he moved out, we told him the door only swings one way..
Done ranting for good now.

So true, so sad. I have zero education past high school. Hell, I only graduated because I went enough to be eligible to play sports. I’d say I’m doing better than anyone I grew up with. College is great if you have a reason to go. Banging out of work an extra 4 years or your love of baseball is not one of them. Guess what, I have no debt either besides like 100k left on my house. Brand new vehicles owned free and clear, great family, life is good. And I bang nails and chip stones in between guiding folks
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #333 on: Feb 03, 2023, 02:47 PM »
I am uneducated as well.  I found sales and thank god.  I have 11 employees and we are doing about 40m annually. My first real ex said I wouldnt be anything without a degree. She's a lawyer but Id never trade w2's and also have private equity from acquisition of our former company in what should be a 1.3b business by the end of this year.  She can my halloweenie for sure. (Frank I guess this is a flex)

I had an interviewee argue with me about working from the office, despite my telling her the president (at the time) came in every day.  Quick phone screen for sure.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #334 on: Feb 03, 2023, 02:51 PM »
Zero chance anyone does more work from home, sweet heist though. I am jealous.

:flex: :flex:

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #335 on: Feb 03, 2023, 02:52 PM »
I work In Everyone’s homes everyday while they “ work from home” well done folks, well done.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #336 on: Feb 03, 2023, 04:31 PM »
I work In Everyone’s homes everyday while they “ work from home” well done folks, well done.

The evidence doesnt lie..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #337 on: Feb 03, 2023, 06:11 PM »
Zero chance anyone does more work from home, sweet heist though. I am jealous.

:flex: :flex:

I havent worked in the office other than random days here and there for the past 3 years. Pros are no commute, can wake up at 8 and start working.  Cons are I do work harder.  There arent those natural pauses where you are bsing with coworkers. 

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #338 on: Feb 03, 2023, 06:45 PM »
I havent worked in the office other than random days here and there for the past 3 years. Pros are no commute, can wake up at 8 and start working.  Cons are I do work harder.  There arent those natural pauses where you are bsing with coworkers.
Yup. Another pro for me is that Massachusetts no longer takes over a nickel out of every dollar I make.

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #339 on: Feb 05, 2023, 08:02 PM »
The choice of going to college was never an option for me. Parents were teachers and it served the 2 of them well. I always loved wildlife and studied biology and then got a masters in fisheries. Realizing very quickly that jobs in the life science field (specifically wildlife) were few and far between. Long story short I ended up teaching high school and am an now an administrator (aka lacky). The money is ok but the job security and investment into the state pension system keep me here. Its definitely not what I saw myself doing but for this season in my life it is where I am. 
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #340 on: Feb 06, 2023, 03:43 AM »

And the “commute” to work is walking into your office. I find myself working far too many extra hours, because I’m still in work mode an hour after logging off. If my phone gets a message I always seem to log back in.

To be honest I think wfh has helped separate the producers from the slackers. Working in a business were metrics are a click away, you can tell who is out there mooching the wfh easily as you can’t blame the inter office BS for a productivity dip.

But, people still suck by in large.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #341 on: Feb 06, 2023, 01:40 PM »
I agree Z.  I have a good team, they hustle and subsequently gwt to work in their territories with some level of autonomy provided revenue targets are met.  I'm onboarding a new rep that said she loves that aspect of working for us.  5 of my reps are going to "club" with me and 74 other reps that hit goal last year.  Ill be fishing for yellow fin march 2-5 staying at an all inclusive (not my scene) for free.  Wifey couldnt make it so dragging a close friend with me, company pays for him too.  1100 bucks for 12 hours of sailfish.  Im in!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #342 on: Feb 06, 2023, 01:55 PM »
That’s what I’d say to guys! Congrats! Lmao jk

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #343 on: Feb 07, 2023, 09:36 AM »
I agree Z.  I have a good team, they hustle and subsequently gwt to work in their territories with some level of autonomy provided revenue targets are met.  I'm onboarding a new rep that said she loves that aspect of working for us.  5 of my reps are going to "club" with me and 74 other reps that hit goal last year.  Ill be fishing for yellow fin march 2-5 staying at an all inclusive (not my scene) for free.  Wifey couldnt make it so dragging a close friend with me, company pays for him too.  1100 bucks for 12 hours of sailfish.  Im in!

Hey Accord I’m in sales too.  Went to college but it’s just a piece of paper did me nothing but waste me and my folks money.  I think college is great for people who have a clear direction though, doctors, lawyers, etc…what kind of sales are you in? I sell paint jobs lol. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #344 on: Feb 07, 2023, 11:27 AM »
I run a sales team that sells enterprise software to mid-market and fortune 500.  Ask my ex if the 200k plus she is paying back forever for her JD was worth it.  She sure didnt enjot seeing a w2 of 300k from this uneducated idiot.  Team averages between 110k a year to 300k for my top rep.  Its a grind for sure but the money has always been there.  We sell automation software so we are reasonably recession proof.

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #345 on: Feb 07, 2023, 12:33 PM »
I run a sales team that sells enterprise software to mid-market and fortune 500.  Ask my ex if the 200k plus she is paying back forever for her JD was worth it.  She sure didnt enjot seeing a w2 of 300k from this uneducated idiot.  Team averages between 110k a year to 300k for my top rep.  Its a grind for sure but the money has always been there.  We sell automation software so we are reasonably recession proof.

That’s good man I’m glad the recession ain’t hurting you! I’ll let the thread get back to hot dogs and fishing topics lol. Negative points on me for bringing the “W” word into this haha.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #346 on: Feb 07, 2023, 01:04 PM »
I work to pay for hotdogs. 

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #347 on: Feb 07, 2023, 02:58 PM »

I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #348 on: Feb 07, 2023, 03:23 PM »
So true, so sad. I have zero education past high school. Hell, I only graduated because I went enough to be eligible to play sports. I’d say I’m doing better than anyone I grew up with. College is great if you have a reason to go. Banging out of work an extra 4 years or your love of baseball is not one of them. Guess what, I have no debt either besides like 100k left on my house. Brand new vehicles owned free and clear, great family, life is good. And I bang nails and chip stones in between guiding folks

I'm with you AA. No college degree ( 4 credit hours short...so what). Pretty much a factory rat all my life...and I'm good with that...made pretty good money. Never over 100K with wife combined. But...never owned a credit card and paid cash for everything...except home and vehicles ( which were always paid off early). And we retired early (62). How...some may ask? One word.. sorta. 401k/IRA. A total game changer. Nuff said on that. If you know...you know. What baffles me are those that say "I can't afford it" (to save). My response..."How can you not"? Just plain ignorance. And I have no sympathy for them. Ok. Rant over. Thanks for listening.  ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #349 on: Feb 07, 2023, 04:15 PM »
Thread's taken an interesting turn. For sure a degree guarantees only one thing: debt. I was "forced" into a junior college with the offer of if I did like it/use it I could leave. I learned only two things there: how to drink tequila and smoke pot. Never studied, barely went to class, sure had a good time though. Went back to my asphalt paving job of three summers and left it in the fall to work at a local manufacturing plant. Doubled my hourly, only punched 40 a week (compared to an 85 hr average on the road) and had every weekend off. Hardly knew what to do with myself.

Left that and moved a state away. Frittered the summer away with fishing, golf, fishing, partying and fishing. Fall came and I looked for work. No shortage of that, alla the summer help was going back to git ejekated. Applied at 8 places and took the first opportunity that called. 5 minute interview over the phone. The rest called later with offers but I was invested. Those other seven all had eventual issues that made close within the next few years, one did last about 15. I stayed at that original place for just over 40 years. Yep, there was good, bad, ugly and uglier still but it all turned out.

Almost 3 dozen of those years were a rank and file union guy. Did all the jobs, invented a couple, never a "that's not my job" guy. The tail end was very strange, I still wonder how that all happened. There was some lead up to that but I'll just shorten it up by saying I was offered a management job. Not an entry level one either. I'd already turned those offers down decades before. Basically jumped up about 4 -5 pay grades doubling what I was making on the floor to start. Regional travel supporting other locations. Short story is the "pre-work" I'd done saved our location a mega crap ton of $$ and they were hoping I'd could share the love. Still unimaginable to me. In the end, because of my age and service years (they counted all my union time) they offered to buy me out. Geez, I was 63. I'd be eligible for my union pension in October of the following year and they were paying full salary and insurance for the max of 78 weeks. Their money ran out and I applied for SS. Livin' the dream...

No degree. Go to work, do your best even if it means you gotta suck it up sometimes and don't miss an opportunity. I jumped ship I think I was 56. Certainly an uncommon opportunity.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #350 on: Feb 07, 2023, 04:20 PM »
I'm with you AA. No college degree ( 4 credit hours short...so what). Pretty much a factory rat all my life...and I'm good with that...made pretty good money. Never over 100K with wife combined. But...never owned a credit card and paid cash for everything...except home and vehicles ( which were always paid off early). And we retired early (62). How...some may ask? One word.. sorta. 401k/IRA. A total game changer. Nuff said on that. If you know...you know. What baffles me are those that say "I can't afford it" (to save). My response..."How can you not"? Just plain ignorance. And I have no sympathy for them. Ok. Rant over. Thanks for listening.  ;D

Same buddy, never owned a card once in my life and buy vehicles cash bc I’m not paying that interest.

I’m hoping to be done at 60 but life happens. I need to stay healthy. That’s a issue for me

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #351 on: Feb 07, 2023, 04:23 PM »
Thread's taken an interesting turn. For sure a degree guarantees only one thing: debt. I was "forced" into a junior college with the offer of if I did like it/use it I could leave. I learned only two things there: how to drink tequila and smoke pot. Never studied, barely went to class, sure had a good time though. Went back to my asphalt paving job of three summers and left it in the fall to work at a local manufacturing plant. Doubled my hourly, only punched 40 a week (compared to an 85 hr average on the road) and had every weekend off. Hardly knew what to do with myself.

Left that and moved a state away. Frittered the summer away with fishing, golf, fishing, partying and fishing. Fall came and I looked for work. No shortage of that, alla the summer help was going back to git ejekated. Applied at 8 places and took the first opportunity that called. 5 minute interview over the phone. The rest called later with offers but I was invested. Those other seven all had eventual issues that made close within the next few years, one did last about 15. I stayed at that original place for just over 40 years. Yep, there was good, bad, ugly and uglier still but it all turned out.

Almost 3 dozen of those years were a rank and file union guy. Did all the jobs, invented a couple, never a "that's not my job" guy. The tail end was very strange, I still wonder how that all happened. There was some lead up to that but I'll just shorten it up by saying I was offered a management job. Not an entry level one either. I'd already turned those offers down decades before. Basically jumped up about 4 -5 pay grades doubling what I was making on the floor to start. Regional travel supporting other locations. Short story is the "pre-work" I'd done saved our location a mega crap ton of $$ and they were hoping I'd could share the love. Still unimaginable to me. In the end, because of my age and service years (they counted all my union time) they offered to buy me out. Geez, I was 63. I'd be eligible for my union pension in October of the following year and they were paying full salary and insurance for the max of 78 weeks. Their money ran out and I applied for SS. Livin' the dream...

No degree. Go to work, do your best even if it means you gotta suck it up sometimes and don't miss an opportunity. I jumped ship I think I was 56. Certainly an uncommon opportunity.

I can start drawing my pension at 53 and I can take both 401k’s at 57

Nice work

You guys are alright, sucks you have a scum bag in the midst. But I know, you know, and he knows that ;D. I mean he’d only see this if he’s Stalking so….

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #352 on: Feb 07, 2023, 05:02 PM »

River in the backyard looks promising after that cold spell

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #353 on: Feb 07, 2023, 05:21 PM »
How does a report from Michigan help us  ;D
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #354 on: Feb 07, 2023, 05:24 PM »
Seven Years of College Down the Drain

Had a choice between getting drafted (my number came up #3 in the draft lottery), getting married or going to college opted for college. Went to a community college then headed for the University of Montana. Back then it wasn't expensive like now plus got a partial scholarship playing football. Majored in Wildlife Biology and Fishing. Not many jobs with that major so I headed back east and got a job in electrical and road the ladder up to a electrical designer/engineer. The only book I needed was the NEC (National Electrical Code). I didn't need the college for the work I eventually did but it was a great time especially when I was in Montana. Retired full time in 2018. Enjoy your youth guys it gets tougher physically when you hit the so-called "Golden Years".

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #355 on: Feb 07, 2023, 05:33 PM »
How does a report from Michigan help us  ;D

It drains to the Atlantic and NH owns coastline

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #356 on: Feb 07, 2023, 05:34 PM »
Seven Years of College Down the Drain

Had a choice between getting drafted (my number came up #3 in the draft lottery), getting married or going to college opted for college. Went to a community college then headed for the University of Montana. Back then it wasn't expensive like now plus got a partial scholarship playing football. Majored in Wildlife Biology and Fishing. Not many jobs with that major so I headed back east and got a job in electrical and road the ladder up to a electrical designer/engineer. The only book I needed was the NEC (National Electrical Code). I didn't need the college for the work I eventually did but it was a great time especially when I was in Montana. Retired full time in 2018. Enjoy your youth guys it gets tougher physically when you hit the so-called "Golden Years".

Just hoping to make it to my golden years, nothings promised.

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #357 on: Feb 07, 2023, 06:48 PM »

River in the backyard looks promising after that cold spell

Pull some fish outa there would you Frank?!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #358 on: Feb 07, 2023, 06:53 PM »
I def do from May til September. Brown trout, Brook Trout, bass both large and small, both white and yellow perch, gills and pumpkinseeds, Pickeral, massive fall fish. You never know.

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #359 on: Feb 07, 2023, 07:00 PM »
I def do from May til September. Brown trout, Brook Trout, bass both large and small, both white and yellow perch, gills and pumpkinseeds, Pickeral, massive fall fish. You never know.

I remember you telling me about the river you live on.  That’s pretty awesome. I’d be tempted to drill holes haha if she was safe

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.