Author Topic: BEST OR WORST ICE AUGER REVIEWS  (Read 29344 times)

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
BEST OR WORST ICE AUGER REVIEWS
« on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:05 PM »
 I've only ever owned a jiffy model 30,every year I keep saying that when it dies i will get a new gas auger or possibly an ION unit. The problem is that this jiffy just won't die. Yes it stinks and its heavy/loud but it will start every time guaranteed.Even when a bunch of us go and everyone has new augers I bring mine because I know it will start.

So I'm just wondering if others would like to share their good and bad auger experiences,no one wants to buy a junky one.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
Re: BEST OR WORST ICE AUGER REVIEWS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:24 PM »
I have a 1999 Jiffy Model 30 also and it is a sure start every time.  Last night I was told I should be getting rid of my "old junk auger" by a guy who has 4 newer augers, 1 gas, 1 propane and 2 electric.  He carriers all 4 because "just don't know which will work when I get there". 
wish you many hook-ups

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:37 PM »
nice,I am in the same boat,I just can't believe that a new one will be more reliable.mine is probably 16-17yrs old.They are not the fastest or lightest but I know it will start.I would like to upgrade to a lighter unit and am waiting to read some reviews before I go and buy another.It sure seems there is a lot of yellow jiffies for sale.is it because they sell way more or are they junk?I have heard the propane units are junk when its real cold and if I get a new ION to get the newer one with reverse and because the gear box is better.

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2019, 08:26 PM »
take a look at the strikemaster 40V, I think you will be impressed cuts well

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2019, 11:32 PM »
I know a few people who bought the electric augers when they first came out.  It was all the rage.  They have gone thru them and even more since then.  Some people went back to the gas augers, new and improved.  Then they got rid of those and got other brands or what ever famous comes out next.  At $300 to $500 a pop each time, or the ION X8 for $640.  I'll stick with mine that cost $145 new in 1999.

I am more into the durability and reliability than flash and fast.  I'm not racing anyone.  I still use the original blades, I had bought new ones but they only lasted to the first rock.  The original blades just need tuning each season to polish the oxidation off.  Razor sharp.

A young guy went out with me a couple of years ago and I tried his new Eskimo or something.  Sure had some drilling power but he paid close to $550 for it and now he is looking for a new one since this one is obsolete.... and is getting old?  Wonder what he thinks about me....being old guy.  To each his own.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:09 AM »
Probably always be gas auger around but almost every manufacturer if not all sell an electric auger now And now with all the drill augers the electrics will be everywhere soon. No issues like all small gas engines have, and starting problems and stink 100% gone. Many say electrics are no good for remote lakes with no power but small generators which a lot of people already take care of that problem. I guess you could argue that if you are going to take a gas generator you might as well take a gas auger, but the starting, carrying gas can still be a bit of PIA.

I bought an ION electric a few years ago, still have the old Jiffy (son uses it a bit) but I can't be bothered with it especially in the ice shack. The electric so far has been completely trouble free and NO starting problems  :clap:

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2019, 09:59 AM »
I'm a Strikemaster fan, all I've ever owned and nothings even come close to making me want to change.  Have tried drilling with other styles of augers between chippers and shavers and favour the strikemaster by a large margin. Fast, light, easy cutting.
     I don't have tonne of experience with electric but from what I've seen the lithium 40v would be the one to look at.  I've seen the ions in action when the ice gets thick and wasn't impressed at all to be honest.

Offline TylerThomson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:20 AM »
I have been running a strike master lithium for 4 years now.   Never let me down.   Punched over 40 holes on one charge a couple weeks ago.   If you are going to remote lakes I doubt you are walking there so grab an inverter and you can charge on the go.   I'll never go back to a gas auger.   I got 5 holes drilled before most guys have there auger warmed up.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:37 AM »
I have had four power augers from 1979 until now. The first was a 2 hp Eskimo which blew the engine while drilling somewhere around the twentieth hole. Next was a 3 hp Jiffy which lasted many years until I traded it on a 2 hp Jiffy Stealth which I gave to my son about six years ago  when I bought my Strikemaster/Honda which has been a great auger.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:55 AM »
I have a gas powered jiffy model 30 I got for Christmas in 1969 it still starts with no more than 2 pulls, I have since gone to battery power 4 yrs. ago but still carry my old jiffy just in case, I know that's crazy but it's like taking along an old friend I guess I know I can rely on it ....

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:59 AM »
Bought my Jiffy 30 in 1968 still going strong.Guys go to a gym for exercise I go ice fishing.

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2019, 11:09 AM »
Eskimo Propane has been great, starts 1-2 pulls whether it sits for an hour or 6 months.  Blades last a few years usually, with a lot of drilling.  Only maintenance is changing the oil occasionally. 
Alternately, my ION has been a great machine that I love to use whenever you plan to be on the move often.  Folks have complained about batteries in the cold, well my Striker suit has a nice pocket inside the coat where the battery sits nicely and haven't had any problems.

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2019, 11:58 AM »
 I sent out a group text to my friends and  they are all opver the map.

ION: no good when the battery is cold,get the newer model because it has a better gear case,40v and reverse but slower drilling.

JIFFY: too much plastic

Strikemaster: "one guy" very fast and light

DRILL OPTION/AUGER: you must get a high torque high ah rated drill.The drill battery will wear out after 2-3 yrs if you use it for other things.

PROPANE: propane gelling issue in the cold ,runs clean good power

I wish one of the big box stores would have somewhere to try these out prior to purchasing them.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2019, 12:31 PM »
DRILL OPTION/AUGER: you must get a high torque high ah rated drill.The drill battery will wear out after 2-3 yrs if you use it for other things.

I guess maybe if you use it a ton, but my batteries seem like day 1 after 3 years and I use them occasionally throughout the summer.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2019, 12:53 PM »
Strike master with the Honda motor.

Shackless has the new  K auger that you run with a cordless drill.  Weighs nothing and drills like crazy, I am just not quite sure how the drill will hold up with all the torque required to turn the auger.  But a wicked drilling machine for sure.

Only downside I see is the price 400 plus another 4 if you buy the decent recommended Milwauki (sp) drill.  For that money I will stick with my Strike Master but the older I get the more tempting that K drill is .  I mean 5 lbs. vs.25  wow

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2019, 01:22 PM »

Shackless has the new  K auger that you run with a cordless drill.  Weighs nothing and drills like crazy, I am just not quite sure how the drill will hold up with all the torque required to turn the auger.  But a wicked drilling machine for sure.

Only downside I see is the price 400 plus another 4 if you buy the decent recommended Milwauki (sp) drill.  For that money I will stick with my Strike Master but the older I get the more tempting that K drill is .  I mean 5 lbs. vs.25  wow

K drill is 2-250, and a drill can be had for right around the same.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2019, 01:47 PM »

Which is why the 9aH Ridgid with the lifetime service agreement is such a good buy. You can get a 1300in/# hammer drill, 9aH battery, and charger all with lifetime service agreements for $200+ tax.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:16 AM »
K drill is 2-250, and a drill can be had for right around the same.

Quite a deal last I looked they were 449 at Cabella

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2019, 12:06 PM »
Quite a deal last I looked they were 449 at Cabella

A k-drill? They have never been that high, maybe you saw the combo that includes a milwaukee drill.

Offline dcmod25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2019, 12:17 PM »

i run a k-drill with dewalt drill for early ice then run the k-drill on my stikemaster solo 142 power head when the ice gets over 12". i run my k-drill\strikemaster set up against a friends k-drill\dewalt the other day through 15" of ice and mine was faster by over 1 second. my k-drill\ strikemaster set up weighs around 19lbs.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2019, 12:27 PM »
i run a k-drill with dewalt drill for early ice then run the k-drill on my stikemaster solo 142 power head when the ice gets over 12". i run my k-drill\strikemaster set up against a friends k-drill\dewalt the other day through 15" of ice and mine was faster by over 1 second. my k-drill\ strikemaster set up weighs around 19lbs.

I better get a gas auger head to save me that second then. This past weekend I cut 30 or so holes through 15-17 inches of ice in a day with 2 5ah batteries, and the second battery wasn't dead yet.

Offline dcmod25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2019, 12:34 PM »
I better get a gas auger head to save me that second then. This past weekend I cut 30 or so holes through 15-17 inches of ice in a day with 2 5ah batteries, and the second battery wasn't dead yet.

only 30 holes? what are you going to do when your 2 batteries are dead? was not saying anything bad about the drill set up, was just giving another option for the k-drill. As you can see  in my original post i run a drill set up also just like my gas with the k-drill better during thicker ice as i dont have to worry about keeping batteries warm or carrying extras. just another option since he has a strikemaster already and the k-drill on it makes it alot lighter option

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2019, 12:58 PM »
only 30 holes? what are you going to do when your 2 batteries are dead? was not saying anything bad about the drill set up, was just giving another option for the k-drill. As you can see  in my original post i run a drill set up also just like my gas with the k-drill better during thicker ice as i dont have to worry about keeping batteries warm or carrying extras. just another option since he has a strikemaster already and the k-drill on it makes it alot lighter option

That was throughout the entire day, and that was all I needed, I've never had both batteries die yet, but I see what you mean now. You implied the gas was better in thick ice because it was an entire 1 second faster, If you like the gas better to not have to worry about batteries that makes sense.

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2019, 01:10 PM »
Had the jiffy propane auger for maybe 3 seasons maybe 4. I didn't like the ripper blades at all, hard to sharpen compared to the shavers and I found the metal really soft. My carb failed on me so I spend 100 bucks to get if fixed, unfortunately it didn't help much. My propane regulator went next and that was the last straw for me.

Ended up buying a second hand ion for cheap to get me through a couple more seasons before I bite the bullet and buy a new auger. I fish mainly pike so a 10 inch hole is sure nice to have. seen electrics die out real quick with a 10 inch flight and 3 feet of ice.

Not sure what the next auger is but it will be gas for me.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2019, 01:14 PM »
My Milwaukee Fuel starts on the first pull every time......   ;D
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2019, 01:22 PM »
Had the jiffy propane auger for maybe 3 seasons maybe 4. I didn't like the ripper blades at all, hard to sharpen compared to the shavers and I found the metal really soft. My carb failed on me so I spend 100 bucks to get if fixed, unfortunately it didn't help much. My propane regulator went next and that was the last straw for me.

Ended up buying a second hand ion for cheap to get me through a couple more seasons before I bite the bullet and buy a new auger. I fish mainly pike so a 10 inch hole is sure nice to have. seen electrics die out real quick with a 10 inch flight and 3 feet of ice.

Not sure what the next auger is but it will be gas for me.

Bummer. :(   Merle Haggard song comes to mind but only "make a Jiffy and Shanty still last 20 years like they should"
wish you many hook-ups

Offline dcmod25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2019, 01:25 PM »
That was throughout the entire day, and that was all I needed, I've never had both batteries die yet, but I see what you mean now. You implied the gas was better in thick ice because it was an entire 1 second faster, If you like the gas better to not have to worry about batteries that makes sense.

i run and gun alot and fish outside 99% of the time so it is nothing for me to drill 100 holes a day thats why i run the gas power head. i can usually get around 120 holes through 18" of ice pwer tank. it would take my 2 5 amp and one of my 6 amp batteries to get that many holes with my drill set up. its just another option for people with a strikemaster power head. the k-drill bolts right up to it with no adapter needed. good luck and tight lines

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2019, 01:32 PM »
100 holes a day is a lot.  In an 8 hour day, that's about 12.5 holes per hour.  So on average, how many minutes do you spend in a hole?  Just curious.

My high run and gun day is 4 holes every 3 hours or so.  Maybe I'm too relaxed.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2019, 01:59 PM »
i run and gun alot and fish outside 99% of the time so it is nothing for me to drill 100 holes a day thats why i run the gas power head. i can usually get around 120 holes through 18" of ice pwer tank. it would take my 2 5 amp and one of my 6 amp batteries to get that many holes with my drill set up. its just another option for people with a strikemaster power head. the k-drill bolts right up to it with no adapter needed. good luck and tight lines

Me too except I'm outside 100% of the time, but I like work an area and fish my holes. Just different styles, I don't think I'll ever need 100 holes in a day.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2019, 02:27 PM »
If i had to drill 100 holes to catch a fishy, I'm on the wrong lake.  It's not like I'm under pressure to provide food or anything.  I just go out to find a place to fish and fall down a few times is all.
wish you many hook-ups

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.