The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Homemade Hook set  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
Homemade Hook set
« on: Feb 16, 2015, 04:36 PM »
So i looked around a bit and played with ideas in my head on what design i wanted to use to make my own auto fisherman/jaw jacker, and settled on this idea. Which seemed to be one of the easier designs i found. Using this design i could build two for about $37 dollars probably less if i had purchased the fittings and the pipe at home depot instead of the local ace. 3 something for 10' section of 1' pvc 10' will make two at the length i made them most of the cost is in the fittings. If i wanted to save some more money i could cut out 6 of the fittings i used and still have the same functionality that it has now and save about 8 dollars and basically cut the cost almost in half. if designed using less fittings it would be about $20 to build 2. I tested the design before i glued everything together and of the one fish that bit on it i caught. A nice 10-11" perch with a perfect hook set. With it now glued together its nice and solid and i am excited to build the second one and put them to use!

Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
Re: Homemade Hook set
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2015, 05:26 PM »
Nice job! Looks like it will catch fish!

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2015, 05:30 PM »
Nice job! Looks like it will catch fish!

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2015, 05:42 PM »
Looks awesome. How secure is the rod butt? I would be a little afraid of the rod flying out on the hook set.

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2015, 06:24 PM »
For that particular rod it fits in there pretty snugg and after multiple dry runs it never fell out so as long as the rod will fit in to the fitting there shouldn't be an issue. Adjust the holder as needed for the given rod used.
Looks awesome. How secure is the rod butt? I would be a little afraid of the rod flying out on the hook set.

Offline BassInVt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ain't nothing better than fishing!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2015, 06:38 AM »
whats the bobber for anyways?
What?? fish are biting, I'm gone

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2015, 07:07 AM »
the bobber is made of Styrofoam so its really light but has enough wait to pull the line down so as the fish takes the bait it takes up the line that the bobber has pulled out once the line goes tight it then will set the hook. Gives the fish time to get the bait all the way in his mouth before the hook set goes off.

Offline BassInVt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ain't nothing better than fishing!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2015, 07:10 AM »
makes sense, especially if your using them for lakes or browns
What?? fish are biting, I'm gone

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2015, 10:46 AM »
Looks good, Smelty!  That must be a pretty stiff rod.  I have to have my light rods pointed up a lot more than that at the butt in order to get enough "oomph" behind them when they go off.  I'm in the process of building a 2nd one now that will be set up for a longer / heavier rod.

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2015, 11:26 AM »
Smelty, GREAT JOB on your build!!!
It looks great and looks very functional. Nice work buddy.
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Chasing Ice

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2015, 02:14 PM »
that rod is a zebco dock demon, not even a ice rod but they were selling them in the ice fishing stuff and it fit the bill for what i had in mind for using for it. its 30" rod and would say its heavy- heavy medium.

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:19 PM »
Smelt , I was told you can only use 2 at a time because they are considered rod and reels. You can have 6 tip ups out also but would not be able to jig!  Check with fish and game to avoid fines! Good luck.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:01 AM »
Smelt , I was told you can only use 2 at a time because they are considered rod and reels. You can have 6 tip ups out also but would not be able to jig!  Check with fish and game to avoid fines! Good luck.

"Ice fishing is fishing by means of hook and line in hand or attached to a rod, tip-up, jack or bob, where the angler is fishing through a hole in the ice, from the ice or on an object supported by the ice. Fishing by casting or trolling baited hooks, artificial flies or lures shall not be considered ice fishing. A person may take fish only by using not more than eight lines, except on Lake Champlain where no more than fifteen lines may be used. He or she must have immediate control over all lines. Each line may not have more than two baited hooks, or three artificial flies or two lures with or without bait. Six lines are allowed on the Connecticut River."

As long as smelty is not exceeding the allowed limit of LINES set for the particular body of water he is fishing, he can use as many as he wants.

Offline WildFisherWomanVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:56 AM »
That is pretty slick.....  You taking orders? ;D
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:50 PM »
The design flaw that was missed in this build was that plastic floats, it was mighty hard to keep this boat over the hole even with minor wind this weekend on Nelson pond with 4 inches of water on the ice.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:49 PM »
Well one problem solved... new problem of it weighing 15lb created lol

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2015, 12:33 AM »
you could anchor it with screws.  I know that the others have metal spikes on the bottom.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.