Author Topic: How late is too late?  (Read 3454 times)

Mr.G

How late is too late?
« on: Dec 08, 2003, 01:27 PM »
What's everybody's opinion on how late to stay out for the walleyes?  The lakes where I fish the most are usually vacant - except for me - about 1 hour or so after sundown.  What is the usual time frame for when the bite picks up again after it tapers off around sundown?

grumpymoe

Re:How late is too late?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2003, 09:59 AM »
have kept time logs at the shanty and found most walleye bite well up to 10:00 am on bright days and are sporadic until just before sundown. have fished up to and after midnight with excellent catches.try different depths including shallows where they follow baitfish that cant see them at dark  lol :'( :'(

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2003, 06:02 AM »
How late I stay out depends upon moon phase and snow cover. If it's dark and lots of snow on the ice I find the walleye shut off around an hour after dark , then don't start up again until after midnite. If there's a bright moon and little to no snow cover, they may bight all night. Have fun and experiment.
Pete Lewis

blazen36

« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2004, 11:52 PM »
It is never to late. Some times if I am layed off from work I will stay out from dusk to dawn and the Walleyes bite all night long.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2004, 06:27 PM »
All night long the bite can be good just as blazen36 said. Never too late in my book.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2004, 08:18 PM »
blazen36 and asphaltkid hit it right on the nose, all I have to offer is one tip. Fish shallow flats because perch don't see well at night, and the walleyes will eat them. I have found if you are fishing rocky bottoms or drop offs, usually they stop about an hour after sundown.
Shallow flats are the key, especially if the lake has perch
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.