Author Topic: Walleye Dilemna  (Read 4952 times)

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
Walleye Dilemna
« on: Feb 05, 2003, 08:38 AM »
Alright I am plannin on fishing Glen Lake in New York by Lake george friday night for walleyes. It was stocked with them a long time ago and they are still on there but there isn't a huge population but the ones left are huge. The deepest part is 55 feet or so I believe the ice almost 18 inches thick now also. I plan on settin tip ups for walleye and jiggin for perch then once the perch shut off switching over to jiggin for eyes after dark. What depth do u recomend me setting my tip ups in? Any help would be appreciated.
~AdkIceman~
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.   ~Waylon~

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
Re: Walleye Dilemna
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2003, 12:22 PM »
go for a steep drop off, sunken island or under water point set from shallow to deep walleye like to go deep by day and move to the shallows at night.

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2003, 06:52 AM »
no matter what depth, i keep mine about a foot to a foot and a half off the bottom

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2003, 07:12 PM »
LAST YEAR A FRIEND OF MINE WAS CATCHING EYES IN 25FT. HE PUT SOME TIPUPS AT 15FT DOWN AND  HE  PULLED 3 EYES OVER 17" AND 2 AT 20".HE WAS USING HIS VEXILAR AND SAW THE FISH UP OFF THE BOTTOM. DON"T GO FISHING WITHOUT YOUR VEXILAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Mr.Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2003, 09:50 AM »
Your right holeinlake, the more structure the better thats why sometimes I go to Canada for those big guys.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re:Walleye Dilemna
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2003, 09:00 PM »
I agree with the rest. Find structure that goes from deep to shallow. And yes, you must have a good quality flasher, because they are not always just off the bottom.

Presentation - I would go with a jigging rapala hands down. I would use the 5 or 7 size. When it gets really dark, switch to a larger jigging spoon like the Bay De Noc Do Jigger or Ivan's Slammer tipped with a minnow head.
Run a tip up with a live minnow as your second line. And be patient if walleyes aren't all that common in the lake. If the ones left are big, your persistance will pay off. Spend most of your time once the sun begins setting in 20 feet or less water.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2003, 01:56 PM »
look for sharp dropoffs in the vicinity of shallow water-8-12 feet and dont forget fishing close to weed beds as well. it really depends on what time of the day you're fishing but always keep on the move if you dont get any action.if you find a spot that produces, they will eventually and suddenly move, so be prepared and make sure extra holes have been pre-drilled so you dont spook the school that just left. lol :'( :'( :'(

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2003, 04:25 PM »
Any prior knowledge of preferred travel routes between structures can pay in big ways. Running the gauntlet with tip-ups and never ignore the deeper water at night! I usually stay 2 ft off the deck at night and only experiment with depth when I 'm convinced they are running higher or I'm in a shallower area with alot of wood or snags. :'( :'( :'(
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.