Author Topic: Trout Tips...  (Read 2296 times)

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
Trout Tips...
« on: Jan 12, 2004, 08:22 PM »
Hey guys,

I've been thinking lately what I plan to do between key walleye times (dawn and dusk) And I was thinking in between those times I would go for the elusive  So to my point: Any tips on catching trout on tip-ups or jigging rod would be appreciated... I.E. Line size hook size, where to go. anything else on the line besides weights and hooks? Ex. spinners? What type of jigs do you guys use? Bait size? I also needa know how far down i should have my tip-ups. Thanks for listening to my long and boring post but any hints or tips would be greatly apprectiated. The lake is filled with rainbows and browns. Thanks...  I basically wanna know your basic set up for tip-ups and jigging rods...

-Evan

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
Re:Trout Tips...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2004, 08:36 PM »
Small light tackel. 5-20 FOW under ice for bows and near bottom for browns. Small bait and crawlers work well. Be shure to have as little resistanse aspossable on your tipups, paricularly true for browns.
Anthony

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2004, 09:29 PM »
black phoenix is right for bows and browns and brooks
for lakers, it all depends on where you live and what type of baitfish in the lake.  They will probably be between 25-50 ft deep. Use 3 inch tube jigs, in colors white, chartreuse, purple and black. Tip with sucker. If you use tip ups, use 2-4 inch live smelt, or whitefish, or if you live in middle states like colorado, utah, kansas, nebraska, wyoming, etc. use live sucker about 2-4 in. check local regs. (use the live minnows under tipups.) This will put you on the lakers.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2004, 09:08 AM »
Ice fishing bear,

I was mainly talking about big bows and browns but thanks anyway for the laker info...

-Evan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.