Author Topic: Catching Lakers on Tipups  (Read 3367 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Catching Lakers on Tipups
« on: Jan 02, 2004, 12:23 PM »
Where I come from, Colorado, Lake Trout hit very, very, very light. Always, no matter what the method or bait that you use. I can school the Lake Trout on my jigging rod, but thats it, I rarely get one on a tipup, or rarely even get a flag. But a lot of times my bait is gone, and the tipup is even set to where a slight twitch will set it off. Any tips on getting them to set it off, or any locational tips would also help, as I get very few flags. Lakers are always near the bottom here if that helps, as we have no suspending minnows.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
Re:Catching Lakers on Tipups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2004, 04:17 PM »
I know someone will say otherwise but lake trout actually move to shallow water during ice.. I have caught them in 5 feet of water.. Where I fish smelt are the bait of choice dead or alive... As far as having no bait on the hook and no flag going off I can't tell you because it happens to me once and awhile and I can't figure it out because it happens with dead smelt also The only thing I can figure is they knaw on it and don't pull any line out to set the tip up off(who knows) But if you thread your bait that will never happen...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2004, 11:27 AM »
Mainer here,
 catch them on the bottom with a smelt or shiner is good....jigging is also an option thru the ice.they chase the smelts here
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2004, 09:06 PM »
this works in Maine I thread the bait and crush the big shinner and lay it on bottom. Use a very small sinker just to get the bait to sink to bottom.
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2004, 04:07 AM »
LoveIce - I tried that method of threading a large shiner/small sucker on,crushing it and laying it on the bottom(on Winni/NH)and I know in my heart it will work on lakers;if I can ony keep the cusk away,although I'm not complaining-atleast I get more flags LOL

Good Luck - Good Fishing
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2004, 08:19 AM »
WEll i have caught lakers in 3 feet of water when i was fishing for Brookies. SO i cant say much for RYme or reason on Lakers. I was using live minnows on a size 14 treble hook. Brook trout set up. Anyhow it hit agressivly. I also use the same set up when going for lakers as well. Split shotbout a foot up and and number 14 trble hook and watch the magic. Works great where im from. Anyhow good luck to ya. TIght lines
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

ice guide

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2004, 03:42 PM »
I use tip-ups all the time for big lakers.  I generally fish in water 35-100 feet. I fish with big ciscos usually 12-14 inches right on the bottom. Caught a 40 3/4 incher last year on this set up.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: Catching Lakers on Tipups
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2004, 08:57 PM »
I have found that putting the same tube jigs tipped with pieces of baitfish on your tip ups as you do on your jigging rods produces more flags than just plain deadbait. Here in Western Colorado you can't use live baitfish, so they would probably work very well on tip ups. The jig works best on a wind tip up which will move the bait a little bit, but also on a stationary tip up. The jig just seems to garner more hits than plain deadbait.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.