Author Topic: My Last laker trip, funny story  (Read 1052 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
My Last laker trip, funny story
« on: Dec 30, 2003, 11:20 PM »
On my last trip, I went to a lake in colorado called Taylor Park Reservoir in search of lake trout. I had caught about 10 lakers, no big ones, and then I decided to pack up the shack and the sled and get all of my unnecessary junk back to the truck in the slow period of the day. Before I did this, I put a fresh piece of meat on the jig, and let it down to about 1 foot off of the bottom. All of the lakers I had caught that day had been while jigging a lot, and I hadn't gotten any on tip ups or anything like that. About a half hour later, when I got back, I noticed that my rod was sitting about 4 feet away from where I had put it down. I scooped the whole, and picked it up. There was a ton of added weight. I set the hook, and boom!!! A long fight with a huge laker occured. I finally landed the beast, and he was 18 pounds. The rest of the people that had been fishing around in that area hadn't gotten anything in the time that I was gone, now that is a fishing method ;D
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re:My Last laker trip, funny story
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2003, 08:15 AM »
Around here we call that the "Not Pay Attention" method.  You can work your tail off constantly jigging and switching baits for hours at a time but it always seems that the biggest fish hits when you're doing something else...like getting a sandwich or an adult beverage or lighting up that cigar.

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
Re:My Last laker trip, funny story
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2003, 08:22 AM »
It seems it always figures nothing is hiting so you walk away and come back and either the rod is gone or has a fish hitting it like crazy!

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.