Author Topic: Fish Trap bunk bed project  (Read 1982 times)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fish Trap bunk bed project
« on: Oct 11, 2019, 07:59 AM »
Finished a project last night on my Fish Trap and thought y'all might be interested in seeing it.

I bought this Clam X200 Pro Thermal to make into a one man, portable sleeper shanty. I don't really care how heavy it is, I tow with a machine. Here is the setup (make special note of the Militia flag!):

I got it last year and to stay in it overnight I used a cot which was comfortable but not ideal. It takes up a lot of room and I have to put one side of the cot in the sled and one out and adds time to my setup and takedown. You can see how much room it takes up:

So I had originally planned on decking the entire thing over like I have seen other do, but I was hesitant to alter the shanty from stock. I really like how the seats work a lot, and I didn't like the idea of having to make hatches in a deck like a boat because I think it limits options. So I came up with an idea to build a "bunk" that would be removable and modular and would not alter the shanty from stock. It works with the stock seat mounts and can stay in place even when I collapse the tent.

The "bunk" is 70" long, which is exactly the size of my REI Camp Bed self inflating air mattress:

This air mattress is stupid comfortable. More comfortable than my sleep number bed:

The bunk is made in three sections and sits on top of the support bar:

The three sections are identical and have cut outs to allow the seat mounts to fit underneath. Most of the time I will only have one seat with me.

I am going to be spending a lot of nights in this thing this season!! Already napped in it once. Very comfortable.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fish Trap bunk bed project
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2019, 12:41 PM »
Nice build, well thought out.  :thumbsup:

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2019, 01:39 PM »
I thought of doing something like that. (for a nap)  Very nice job!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2019, 04:52 PM »
Kudos to the creative! Nice job!!
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fish Trap bunk bed projec
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2019, 05:47 PM »
I didn't even really plan it like this, but what luck. Check this out- part of why I made the bunk out of 3 panels is for packing in the sled, but if I turn one panel foreward it's a great table/platform and works sweet with the console which I really love:

I have a new chair on the way from Millenium Blind Chairs, it should be a big improvement. I don't particularly like the Clam chair pads, but the rest of this fish trap is designed terrific, and I'm pumped about how this bunk came out. Its fairly light for what it is and modular and doesn't infringe on the original Clam design. I like how the console sits flush and I can put one panel forward for an occasional guest to sit. Can also turn the chair and use the panel as a footrest, kickback style- laid back, with my mind on my fishin' and my fishin' on my mind- And if I wanted I could carry all the panels and both seats for a day with a guest!

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.