Author Topic: Red Hooks  (Read 12359 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Red Hooks
« on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:52 AM »

The end of last season, fishing for gills one day, the bite was real slow. Looking through my arsenal I found a VERY small red Aberdeen hook. So I took off my gill fly and tied on the red hook with one spike. I have always used red hooks for spring stream trout fishing.  I don't know what the difference was but it sure worked.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline edmonds

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Red Hooks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2008, 08:20 AM »
I bought a pack of red trebles a few years back to use for pike.  It was the only pack that they had in stock at the time.  After using them, I have never bought anything but red hooks.  It seems to make a difference to me............yet it all could be just in my head!

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is not only a sport, but a Dedication
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2008, 08:32 AM »
I bought a pack of red trebles a few years back to use for pike.  It was the only pack that they had in stock at the time.  After using them, I have never bought anything but red hooks.  It seems to make a difference to me............yet it all could be just in my head!

Good to hear I just picked up some gamakatsu red trebles to try on those pigs this year as well..

Offline pyle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2008, 08:36 AM »
I use red hooks also. Not sure if they make a differance or not but I like to think they do.

Offline saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:08 AM »
I have always used red trebles, but couple of years ago i found some that glow and they seem to out fish the red ones for the eyes. Have never really seen any difference at all.

Offline fathead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:28 AM »
red true turns and gamagot are all i use for perch with minnows
in lake Erie
SEMPER FI

Offline Ice Shark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:47 AM »
Must use red hooks....(zombie voice) Some famous guy, I never met, on some lake I've never been to, wrote an article in some magazine I read on occasion and told me to use red hooks. :)

Red Trebles on the Tips and jigging spoons.
I found hook size made more of a difference than color did on hookup rate but the red flash dosen't hurt either.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:51 AM »
Always Go With the RED :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:56 AM »
Red is pretty much all I buy anymore. I have thought about chartreuse though for night fishing.

Offline 200013964

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Heritage Laker
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:58 AM »
Just picked up some of these:

I also have some quick-strike rigs with red trebles and "red attractor beads".

This will be the first year with them, we will see how they perform...

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:13 AM »

My fishing buddy JEEM swears by them and had numerous stories of where they seemed to make a difference to others. I always thought that a little "blood" on any presentation was a good thing. But I leave you with a couple of my words to live by. "If you think it's important, than it is important!!" and "Is it the hook or the hookee that is most important!!"   Cya.....

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:17 AM »
I did a little experimenting this year during open water fishing using multiple hooks on one line.  Each hook was tipped with a fat head, and the hooks were in different order on each rod.  I used red, gold, and bronze hooks.  I found no difference in the number of fish I caught on any one color.  They all produced for multiple species.  But that was just one lake.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:27 AM »
I saw an article that went into color visibility at different depths.
And red is one of the least visible colors in deeper water and stained water.
So JMHO is don't believe all the hype all the time. I do use colored hooks on occasion from glow to black but only when jigging never on tippers or dead stick.

Offline WOODY PIKEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2008, 12:05 PM »
I use red treble hooks with bloody leader.  I found the bloody leader on cabelas website a couple years ago in the salt water section.  It is made for shallow water only.  It is supposed to look like the bait you have on the hook has a blood stream coming out of it.  IT WORKS AMAZINGLY!!!!

Offline gettinjiggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2008, 02:21 PM »
     I hear about this all the time and i wonder isn't the big deal about cajun red fishing line that it is invisable to fish? Wouldn't red hooks have the same outcome, or maybe that's the trick that the hook "disappears" under water. Curious

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2008, 03:59 PM »
i agree -- red hooks is just a good example of marketing -- red line supposly disappears at 6 feet --

its all myth though, intill one of us fall threw to the bottom next to our friend that is jigging red hooks

i us them also -- they look better to me -- do they catch more?????
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline Tom Leitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2008, 05:03 PM »
Tried red hooks for a season some time ago.  Kept track of my results.  No difference whatsoever.

Offline lcrep2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:20 PM »
I use some red, some sttandard silver and gold, I am such a good fisher person i dont find a difference

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2008, 07:13 PM »
Don't know if anyone is interested in a true but odd (I think) story about red hooks, but here goes anyway. Last year on 'Toga (actually Fish Creek), baited with a large shiner (dorsal fin base hooked, really lively fish), on a red #10 treble, with a short wire leader, I got a flag. Nothing on, so I pulled it up to check the bait. By now, the shiner was re-hooked through the head, beat up badly & dead. It was hooked so solidly that I couldn't just pull it out, without ripping the head off, hooked solidly through the skull bones. Got another flag on another tip-up (black hook), so I sent the dead bait back to the bottom (18-20 fow). Went to check the other flag. Nothing on, bait really beat up. Sent him back down the hole. Went back to the first one to re-bait with live bait. The dead one was now GONE, off the hook, NO FLAG! Checked the triggering mechanism to make sure it was working... VERY SENSITIVE! Yet, no flag. Re-baited with another large lively bait. About 10 minutes later, another flag on the first tip-up (red hook one). Had a 24 in., 6.24 lb pike. Then, suddenly everything went quiet & got nothing else the entire weekend. How he got the dead bait, so solidly hooked, off the red treble, without triggering the sensitive flag, is still a mystery to me!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2008, 07:57 PM »

???

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2008, 07:54 PM »

Here it is. Thanks for the feed back. ;D

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2008, 03:16 PM »
So JMHO is don't believe all the hype all the time. I do use colored hooks on occasion from glow to black but only when jigging never on tippers or dead stick.
Then its a win win situation! If it doesn't fool them into thinking the bait is bleeding, then they can't see it at all :)

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2008, 05:24 PM »

You're right on the. That can be a good thing however. In shallow clear water, the hook give the impression of a little blood. In deeper and / or stained water, the hook dissapears. That's one less thing to distract the fishies!!!

Offline Xanfly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2008, 05:44 PM »
I catch way more fish on red, it is a fact. That is because I almost always use red Gamakatu's. ;)

We do have one salt water sockeye fishery that is actually recomended to troll a single bare red hook with no bait. Just to be on the safe side I always bait up though, so I can't say if it is true.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2008, 06:29 PM »
I catch way more fish on red, it is a fact. That is because I almost always use red Gamakatu's. ;)

We do have one salt water sockeye fishery that is actually recomended to troll a single bare red hook with no bait. Just to be on the safe side I always bait up though, so I can't say if it is true.

I would say that the sheer small size of the hook and hook alone would limit your success. If they fish are right on top of it, they would see it, but it won't be anything that will draw the fish in.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2008, 08:11 PM »
The size of the hook is what I have found to be key. As far as red 12 treble hook red cagen red line 3# to 20# on every thing ice only .

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2008, 09:25 PM »
The size of the hook is what I have found to be key. As far as red 12 treble hook red cagen red line 3# to 20# on every thing ice only .

I was referring to Xanfly when he was saying that there was a fishery that recommended using nothing but a red hood. No bait, no lure, no nothing. Just a red hook tied onto line.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2008, 09:35 PM »
I've been using red hooks for the past few years - and like most of you I'm not sure the color make all that much difference but it is all I own now. I concentrate on hook size generally with a little flash on the leader.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2008, 09:35 PM »
I got some red sickle hook jig hooks from BPS and poured em.  when fishing for pickerel and walleye they seemed to make all the difference between "fishing" and "catching" while using same Gulp bait on both color hooks..just my personal experience..now i won't fish without them, even switched out all the trebles on my most used crankbaits with red trebles.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2008, 11:33 PM »
I used red hooks last winter on lakers and rainbows...didn't see any difference, if anything, I went back to the #2 eagle claws in bronze.  Red looked good in the store, didn't make the stack of trout grow though.
Thread killer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.