The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: carry bay  (Read 3538 times)

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
carry bay
« on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:47 PM »
 fished carry bay today, didnt have bites till later morning. Finally started getting into some perch near pelots bay, but no size. Talked to some guys out there they said they they would get 3-4 out of a hole then would shut down. Went to the other side to the alburgh passage better luck over there, would have hot spells then shut down. Talked to a guy out there, said all last week he was filling 1-2 buckets a day, but since sunday has shut down. Fish story?  probably not those guys are pretty religious about there panfish. hopefully it ll come back around.

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: carry bay
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2011, 08:49 PM »
perching, the one guy  i talked to who had luck last week was doing both

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:37 AM »
We spent the day their last weekend and caught maybe a dozenperch all day, did however ctch seven northerns on tip-ups, biggest was only 28 inches though

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:33 AM »
yeah seems perching in carry bay has gone downhill the last couple years, 3 years ago you could send a line down a hole with 2 hooks, by the time it hit the bottom and you set the bail you already had 2 fishon

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2011, 02:52 PM »
hey gotta sell em and make 30 bucks for a full bucket right? 
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2011, 04:41 PM »
Lot of folks are unemployed and fish to supplement their income,last I knew the unemployment rate was 10%.Crap on F&G for letting fish to be sold not the man selling them !

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2011, 05:30 PM »
I guess I'm just "old school" when it comes to panfish.  When I catch 100 perch worth filleting I stop because I know that I don't want to clean any more than that.  I get a good meal and the rest go in the freezer.  I have never sold a fish and don't plan to.  I wish they would put a limit back on the perch now that I hear about guys on atv's and sleds coming back from their "hot spots" with Jet Sleds full of fish.

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2011, 05:34 PM »
I feel the same way, but I do love when guys get mad when the bite "slows" after they have taken bucket after bucket of fish out of there in the same week
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline webster2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2011, 05:35 PM »
I agree.

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2011, 05:37 PM »
I too agree that a limit on perch would be best for all the fisheries. Maybe 50 is a little too low, however catching hundreds doesn't seem right.

Offline razzledazzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish H8 me
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2011, 06:33 AM »
I used to have an issue with selling hundreds of perch from Champlain but have since changed my attitude.
I feel Champlain is over-run with yellow and white perch.  Almost anywhere you go, you can drop a line and catch yellow perch on Champlain.  The perch on Champlain for the most part seem somewhat "stunted", generally smaller than what is often caught on other water bodies.  Is that due to over-population?  I think "probably so".
Folks that are catching them by the "jet sled full" aren't going to hurt the fishery in the least, I'm more worried about the thousands of pounds that the cormorants eat all summer long.
It's probably doing our (perch) fishery a favor by "thinning" it out.  Champlain is a huge body of water jammed packed full of yellow perch with acre upon acre of good spawning grounds for pan-fish.
If something changes, I feel confident that our fishery managers will step in and make adjustments.
I've never sold a fish in my life but that "might" change...I've got a grandson that wants to fish and sell some of his catch.  I'm going to let him.  I'll keep what I want to clean as usual, but let him sell some...sort of "money making lessons" for a youngster.  
It's a tough monetary society we live in...if legally selling fish helps a family out...more power to them.
JMHO
Fish H8 me ™
www.fishH8me.com

Gerry

Offline diamondsteel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2011, 06:58 AM »
seems pretty well put razzledazzle.  in my opinion.  I know its tough to go somewhere that was great last year to find finiky fish, no fish, etc, but isn't that the nature of fishing and fish, they move and we have to find them.  certainly the forage for them moves too and they aren't going to stay in one spot forever!  Also, Ive been really watching the way things work through the hole in my shanty this year, and seems like the places loaded with pike will have lots of panfish, but the panfish don't bite if the pike are nearby.  Ive been watching this over and over-- the bite stops, oh, look over there, its a big pike lookin at my jig, I catch it and release it, or manage to scare it off, then a few minutes later the perch bite again..... until the next pike shows up :-\

Offline razzledazzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish H8 me
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2011, 08:37 AM »
your probably right about that for perch... not so sure about crappie and gills

And therefore we have a limit on crappie.
I'm surprised there isn't a limit on gills and sunnies.
Fish H8 me ™
www.fishH8me.com

Gerry

Offline webster2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2011, 11:47 AM »
I would like to see a tighter limit on perch.  Again, JMHO...we haven't been over run with fish this year. 

Offline razzledazzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish H8 me
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2011, 02:37 PM »
...we haven't been over run with fish this year. 

Maybe due to the alewife die-off?
It seems that when we have a die-off, fishing success goes way down.
Fish H8 me ™
www.fishH8me.com

Gerry

Offline gatornation

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2011, 03:26 PM »
Lot of folks are unemployed and fish to supplement their income,last I knew the unemployment rate was 10%.Crap on F&G for letting fish to be sold not the man selling them !

Actually, the unemployment rate in Vermont is about 5.7%.

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2011, 03:31 PM »
I'm still not covinced a limit on perch wouldn't help the fisheries.

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2011, 04:30 PM »
might not help the fisheries but instead of catching a bunch of dink perch maybe the slabbers would be more prominent

Offline bradleyroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2011, 04:57 PM »
Maybe due to the alewife die-off?
It seems that when we have a die-off, fishing success goes way down.

I dont know much about alewife, but it seems last year on keeler bay those alewifes turned that place red hot!

Offline Land of 10,000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2011, 06:51 PM »
I used to have an issue with selling hundreds of perch from Champlain but have since changed my attitude.
I feel Champlain is over-run with yellow and white perch.  Almost anywhere you go, you can drop a line and catch yellow perch on Champlain.  The perch on Champlain for the most part seem somewhat "stunted", generally smaller than what is often caught on other water bodies.  Is that due to over-population?  I think "probably so".
Folks that are catching them by the "jet sled full" aren't going to hurt the fishery in the least, I'm more worried about the thousands of pounds that the cormorants eat all summer long.
It's probably doing our (perch) fishery a favor by "thinning" it out.  Champlain is a huge body of water jammed packed full of yellow perch with acre upon acre of good spawning grounds for pan-fish.
If something changes, I feel confident that our fishery managers will step in and make adjustments.
I've never sold a fish in my life but that "might" change...I've got a grandson that wants to fish and sell some of his catch.  I'm going to let him.  I'll keep what I want to clean as usual, but let him sell some...sort of "money making lessons" for a youngster.

It's a tough monetary society we live in...if legally selling fish helps a family out...more power to them.
JMHO

I believe we have a top fishery for yellow perch on Champ.  I caught more bigger/pounds/quantity of perch in the first year I moved here then my hole life combined in MN!!  Some/A lot of dinks but some real nice mediums and jumbos!!  Most southern MN lakes are dink perch, lucky to catch a 8" perch.  I've also fished the biggins in MN:  Mille Lac's, The Woods, Leech, Upper Red, Winny..  I can't complain at all about the quantity or size!!  I believe the fisherman are hurting the fishery a "little bit" but also would agree w/cormorant problem.  I've read dozens of articles and know the destruction they did to Leech Lake, MN.  Luckily that walleye fishery is coming back!!  We had sharpshooters and oiled the eggs I believe.  Can't do that here unfortunately because of the major greeny treehuggers who are vegetarians..

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2011, 06:58 PM »
Sure we can. Just hunt them in the produce isle:)

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2011, 08:15 PM »
 Can't do that here unfortunately because of the major greeny treehuggers who are vegetarians..

We could serve them Cormorant sandwiches on a Kale bun with tofu mayo ;D
Open up the season on the fish eating Ba$7@rds,  That would be my vote

Offline northernfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2011, 08:28 PM »
We could serve them Cormorant sandwiches on a Kale bun with tofu mayo ;D
Open up the season on the fish eating Ba$7@rds,  That would be my vote

x2 ;D

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2011, 09:08 PM »
Sure we can. Just hunt them in the produce isle:)

I work in produce, maybe I can get rid of the tofu section and force them to migrate to fid a new area...  ;D  ;D
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline shirefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2011, 10:31 PM »
Hey I like kale!  Commorant is kind of fishy flavored for my taste though!

Offline webster2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2011, 04:32 AM »
Kale is excellent prepared with bacon, garlic, onions, and a little Lawry's seasoning salt....a nice tip from chef Fred of the 4th Street cafe in San Antonio!  You wouldn't believe his deep fried catfish, yumm..and caramel pie.

Offline razzledazzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish H8 me
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2011, 04:53 AM »
Check out this pic of a disected Cormorant that had feased on 19 yellow perch!

photo curtosy of Capt. Mick Maynard of Lake Champlain Angler dot com http://www.angelfire.com/home/lake/fishing/lake.html
Fish H8 me ™
www.fishH8me.com

Gerry

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2011, 06:01 AM »
Hey I like kale!  Commorant is kind of fishy flavored for my taste though!
Nothing wrong with kale, Provided you have a slab of animal to go with it  ;D

Offline Big Ben

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • http://docksideoutdoors.com/
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2011, 07:44 AM »
Wow that photo is worth a million words!  >:( >:(

They dropped the hammer on a bunch this summer, but fishing last fall it seemed like there were just as many. I think the Duck hunters should be able to put a dent in them!

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:23 AM »
For those of you with boats. What would happen if a stowaway racoon was to jump out on one of there nesting islands?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.