Author Topic: My 2 cents  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
My 2 cents
« on: Feb 02, 2016, 06:48 PM »
Wanted to give a quick review on my former Marcum lx5i.  Background.....I own a Bird 55 that causes great anxiety.  I have had nothing but issues with it and I am always concerned it is going to crap out on the ice.  We take 4 day trips to Lake of the Woods and I was always worried about it shutting down.  So I wanted to buy a new flasher to ease my anxiety.  I had owned a vexilar years ago but all my buddies have them and we would have IR wars in our hardside (this is why I bought the Bird).  Four Vexs together would reek havoc in 30' of water.  I decided to go with a Marcum.  I have read all the rave reviews about Marcum on here and thought I would give one a shot.  I purchased the lx5i.  I was very unimpressed.  I was getting interference on the Marcum around vexilar flashers.  My narrow beam would not pick up the jig as well as my wide beam.  I had to have my gain around 2.5 all the time to pick up my jig on either beam.  The ducer doesn't fit well under the power head.  No battery gauge and no digital depth. 

I was out this Saturday with my buddy who just picked up an FL28.  The 28 caused major problems with my Marcum.  The Marcum was throwing interference all over the place.  He turned off the 28 and the issues were gone (and before someone asks yes we tried the IR buttons).  I absolutely could not clear my screen and we were only in 20 feet of water.  I was frustrated to the max with this thing so we called our local bait shop on the way home and they had one 28 on hand.  I traded my new Marcum off and picked up the 28!!  I fished with the 28 the next day and that baby is a gem.  Perfectly clear screen and tons of power.  I will never look back!!!  I just don't understand all the hype with the Marcum units?  The have a small screen and the other issues I mentioned.  Maybe I just had a lemon. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: My 2 cents
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2016, 06:51 PM »
the vexilar flx28 is a sweet machine.enjoy the vexilar and never look back to Marcum.haha

Offline kyle1982

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2016, 06:53 PM »
I wonder what the difference between the new one you have and the old lx 5 that i have. I fished close to the lx 9 with no problems.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:52 AM »
i'm working on switching from an lx5 to the lx5i.  i've never heard of such issues with anyone else that has used them.  one buddy said his worked flawlessly ironically up at lotw a few weeks ago.  surrounded by fl18's and 20's.  the reason i decided its time to try one.   

typically at the brainerd jaycee's when there are 10,000 flashers in a square mile radius, the only ones that will clear up are the Marcums.  everyone else puts their away. 

you need your gain up higher on a marcum because they truly gain out to 0 and clear the screen. where as the vexilars don't. 

i really like the flx28 outside the 4 colors (don't like the white for some reason) though.  its a top of the line unit. 

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2016, 11:06 AM »
I think it boils down to getting one that works for you and then stick with it and learn how to adapt when there are several others close by. But most of all don't let yourself get totally dependant on electronics. If you get surrounded by interference, shut down the sonar and fish without. All sonar does is get you on fish anyway. You still need to learn how to catch them once you're on them.
I still see guys out there limiting on fish with no electronics at all. It's how I fished for over 35 years on the ice and I did good fishing "old school".

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2016, 11:45 AM »
i also am done with my ice55 after spending over 750$ on it and its still a POS!

i also needed some thing "better" and had to shop and there are not many brand choices for us. when we find one we both like, and have not out grown, then we are happy with our choices. out growing a sonar is not fun either and expensive to move up the chain to have the best a brand offers and be there until that brand or another brand has more to offer than your current model/brand has now. out growing sonars isn't talked about much here, only saying it's time for a new flasher or i'll have to try that one next is mentioned.

having to replace  the unit because it is not upgradeable was not appealing to me when i need to make that move up the chain. so analog flashers became an instant no go for me. i already had the best of the best in one brand. that left 3 other brands to choose from. only one brand has a dedicated ice sonar designed for ice and offers open water as an option. many newer (if not all) digitals are open water dedicated and offer ice as an option, so none of those were an option to move up to either. that cancels all the other brands except for one and then in their brand it really is only one model but three sub versions of that unit/design. the lx7 was and still is the only dedicated ice sonar that is upgradable. they are offer it as the smaller version in the lx6 and the camera version the lx9.

one key factor besides what i mentioned for my preferences is who marcum is the only brand that out thought the swim noodle syndrome and uses an d arm that makes fishing much more enjoyable! their arm system is great. if i had to pick another brand for some odd reason i would buy the after market arm and use it instead of the swim noodle.

i do hope the other brands start offering digital and upgradeable choices for those of us who out grew their sonars. marcum digital couldn't be better, but more and smarter people can bring more to the digital table than one company alone.
because there is only one choice of brand (for now), some would label me as a fan person. it's not my fault my choices are so limited. i am glad one company stepped up from the crowd tho and decided to it their way. in part, i think that move was based from another companies design they bought into and that was called showdown. being black and while (gray scale) and a limited screen meant limited options like flashers are, but not as bad. that gave them their answer on how to move forward and be ahead of the game and by far.
their customer support is the best i ever used and the people that represent are also top notch. they are similar to striker in that regard. it is a great feeling using a product you know people are there and care if you need them, unlike other brands i won't go into.

i fish next to birds., marcums and vex and never had issues like yours. marcum ir is actually changing channel's to try to find the frequency of the offending transducer. i could see a problem, maybe, if you have more than one frequency interrupting your return signals.
when you have a situation that you can't figure out with just the ir, you need to use other tactics like use narrow beam (all of you), keep you transducer up as high in the ice hole as possible (should always do that any way and get rid of the swim noodles) and use the least amount of gain possible. interference is just your sonar reading part of another sonars signal. it's an overlap. harder bottoms can repeat the signal for longer distances.

you could have the marcum lx6 digital for not much more than the lx5i (analog).
looks like you are comparing a 700$ unit to a 500$ unit also.

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:12 PM »
When it comes to a flasher I have 4 key needs....1.  clarity or no interference.  I cant stand watching blips on my screen.  2.  reliability.  the unit should last for many years without issue.  3.  power.  I don't want to struggle to pick up my jig.  4.  big screen. 

The HB was good for 3 the listed 4.  It was crystal clear around all other brands, had a nice big screen and plenty of power.  We agree the reliability sucks. 

I fished with an lx6 and frankly wasn't all that impressed.  I did not like the size of the flasher on the screen (too small).  It had a bunch of gadgets but I just want to see my jig and fish with a clear screen.   

What I know about vexilar is they are bullet proof.  I have buddies running the same unit for 10 years without issue.  They offer a nice screen size and plenty of power.  Now that Vex has resolved the IR issue with 20 IR settings to me it is a no brainer.  If you haven't fished with a 28 I would highly recommend it. 

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:02 AM »
one key factor besides what i mentioned for my preferences is who marcum is the only brand that out thought the swim noodle syndrome and uses an d arm that makes fishing much more enjoyable! their arm system is great. if i had to pick another brand for some odd reason i would buy the after market arm and use it instead of the swim noodle.
 This is not true. Vexilar has offered and used a screw eye for many years if the owner chooses to use it. The xducer stopper that they use hangs in the eye. And the stopper it is far better that the other companies.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:29 AM »
bee- you can always get a longer eye bolt also for a couple of dime's at any hardware store. That's what I did.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2016, 07:38 AM »
I pretty sure I saw an arm that vexilar sells on their website.so you could use the float,eyebolt or arm.i wouldn't get  another Marcum because of a cheap plastic arm.jmo

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2016, 07:48 AM »
Bought my FL18 the first or second year they were on the market. It has a plastic transducer bracket that snaps into the case so you don't need to use the float if you don't want to. So much for Marcum being the first to overcome the pool noodle.  :o
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2016, 10:37 AM »
bee- you can always get a longer eye bolt also for a couple of dime's at any hardware store. That's what I did.
  Same here. I also adapted it to my Humminbirds. And a Lowrance.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2016, 10:40 AM »
Never had any issues as described with my Marcum or my Ice 45. Lemon
Just add water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.