Author Topic: Aqua veiw tripod  (Read 5267 times)

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
Aqua veiw tripod
« on: Jan 03, 2006, 04:32 AM »
I have heard that the tripod from aqua view(non mtorized)is a p.o.s.Has anyone built there own or made some sort of arm to hold the cable with some thing on the arm to turn the cable?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Aqua veiw tripod
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:29 AM »
I have the tripod by Aquavu and I really like it. If someone says it a p.o.s. maybe they need to use it differently. I can either use mine as a tripod or lay it flat on the ice. It holds the camera in position like it should. What else is it supposed to do?
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2006, 10:03 AM »
agreed ice dawg...I have the non motorized tripod and have no issues with it...It was a whopping 14$..what do you want it to do?...It holds the camea in place and fit perfect over the hole.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2006, 10:53 AM »
I agree with Ice Dawg and Junky:   ~$14.00........it adjusts to accommodate essentially any size auger hole...lightweight... durable and virtually unbreakable.  Plus the camera can be adjusted 360 degree for complete viewing.

Check with your source again. They may have been referring to the motorized Mo-Pod, which I have heard some mixed reviews on.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2006, 10:53 AM »
I used a piece of 1" x 12" wood and cut a notch in the middle that was just slightly smaller than the cable diameter. The cable stays snug and works great. It only cost me my time to saw the notch.
Ken                                          

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2006, 04:50 PM »
I have the tripod by Aquavu and I really like it. If someone says it a p.o.s. maybe they need to use it differently. I can either use mine as a tripod or lay it flat on the ice. It holds the camera in position like it should. What else is it supposed to do?

Agreed - mine works just fine - no probs and beats holding the cable w/ your hand!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2006, 05:36 PM »
The ice pod works really good. It is made of plastic so it needs to be handled like it is made of plastic. You can make something quite easily that will work as good but you can't make anything that works better. It holds the line still and is easily adjustable, that's all it needs to do.
 :tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2006, 08:59 PM »
I agree with all the guys. I have the non-motorizes icepod and really like it is 10 time better than my old homemade stand, and for $14.00. you can't go wrong. ;D

WW

Offline fishincrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The meaning of life is fishing with your friends.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2006, 10:28 PM »
dam it i want one of these ice pods for my camera but noboday has the dam thing in stock.
All I need is ice and the fish will come.

Offline jerrygeb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Get outside!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2006, 04:00 AM »
I waiting for an ice pod myself. I ordered one direct from Aqua VU on Dec 19, but they're out of stock as well.
Too many hobbies, and too little time!

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2006, 05:22 AM »
I thought about this too when I needed one for mine. After buying one I must say it is well worth the money and agree with everyone in here that it is actually not bad and worth it.

I think that what you get with this that would be harder to replicate is the rubber grommet that goes to the cable. It fits into a pocket at the top of the tripod and allows for easy adjustment to spin the camera around and slide up and down to change depths.

That being said it is also portable but I could see where someone may have issues with it if you are not careful.

If you do make one out of a 1x2 then I would suggest picking up a rubber stop from a hardware store and milling out the center to fit over the cable. This will hold it in place in the notch in the 1x2.

I'm having thoughts of picking up the motorized one.  :)

Brian

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2006, 02:14 PM »
BrianF, you may want to get some opinions on the motorized pod. There were problems with them last year and a lot of them were returned to the dealer. I don't know what the problems were and if they have been corrected. I guess if you have problems you can always take it back.

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2006, 02:41 PM »
Thanks for the update on that. I had not researhed it much other than what the market.

If and when I get serious about it and the reports are bad I will at least bring it up with the manufacturer and inform them of the reason I did not buy. I like to keep the information flowing to help make better products (if the listen - and some do). I think that they originally did not have any real competition but now it seems they do and may be willing to listen.

Appreciate it.

Happy fishing!
Brian

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2006, 02:50 PM »
Brian:  According to Aqua Vu,the problem with the Motorized (M) Mo-Pod was when fisherman opted to operate it with the 6 AA batteries instead of the 12 volt system.  They told me it tended to be top heavy and would tip over.  (I can't imagine 6 AA batteries having enough weight to make a difference, especially when the legs are spread over say an 8 inch hole.......but , that is what they told me ::))

In order to prevent this from happening on this year's M Mo-Pod2, they only offer the 12 volt hook up.

Offline FingerLakesFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2006, 03:06 PM »
I just purchased a mo pod today and was wondering how to connect both the camera and the pod up to the same 12 v battery?  Can someone explain.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2006, 03:16 PM »
I just purchased a mo pod today and was wondering how to connect both the camera and the pod up to the same 12 v battery?  Can someone explain.

FLF:  I don't have the Motorized one, but would suggest picking up an extra battery for it.  This way you can minimize the length of the wires going from the Mo-Pod to your 12V source. 

If I were hooking it up to an existing battery (say from my vex), I would make mini-jumper cables with alligator clips on the end, so i could easily attach it to the Vex battery or any other.

Offline settlepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2006, 04:10 PM »
I bought the pod and think its cool, its a must just be careful its not made of steel.  I feel the camera is a waste without it.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2006, 08:51 PM »
I bought the pod and think its cool, its a must just be careful its not made of steel.  I feel the camera is a waste without it.

I hope you like it. Give us a report after you use it for a while. Maybe an old coot like me would buy one too. ;)

Offline duketter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:48 AM »
I have the cheap plastic pod and it works great.  $14.99 where I bought it and wouldn't leave home without it.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2006, 06:00 PM »
I have the non-motorized one too and now that I have given it some thought I think I can keep turning the camera by hand and spend the hundred bucks elsewhere. ::)

Offline iceman0364

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2006, 06:59 PM »
I used a piece of 1" x 12" wood and cut a notch in the middle that was just slightly smaller than the cable diameter. The cable stays snug and works great. It only cost me my time to saw the notch.

i agree with bean my works really well

Offline jerrygeb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Get outside!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2006, 04:41 AM »
Just received my ice-pod (non motorized) which I ordered from Aqua-Vu on Dec 19th. They were out of stock at the time, as was every store around here. So at least the manufacturer is back in stock. Looking forward to trying it out on the ice, when we get ice!
It's plastic, so I'll treat it that way. Should be sturdy enough. For 15 bucks, I'm happy with it.
Too many hobbies, and too little time!

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:02 AM »
I had the non motorized one and it worked well until I lent it to a friend and he dropped the stopper down the hole. I haven't been to the store to get another (a ruuber stopper drilled) But wouldn't a top of a 5 gal can with a slit cut into it with a larger hole for the cable and using a rubber stopper or a clip attached to the cable work as well? (also insulate the hole a bit) I have a "Rotozip" that could do this in a moment but they have a raster type drillbit  that should work with a reg electric drill. 

Offline frozenstiff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2006, 04:14 PM »
I just used my non motorized pod yesterday. it is Worth its weight in gold. yesterday was also the first time I had a pike try and eat my camera. was rather funny. after he tryed to eat it he swan 5-6 feet away and just watched it I tryed to jig for him but I think he was in shock. 

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2006, 06:51 PM »
I had the non motorized one and it worked well until I lent it to a friend and he dropped the stopper down the hole. I haven't been to the store to get another (a ruuber stopper drilled) But wouldn't a top of a 5 gal can with a slit cut into it with a larger hole for the cable and using a rubber stopper or a clip attached to the cable work as well? (also insulate the hole a bit) I have a "Rotozip" that could do this in a moment but they have a raster type drillbit  that should work with a reg electric drill. 

I am very fortunate to have a good friend in the Tool & Die trade that took my standard issue grommet and made a mold to make duplicates for next door to nothing.
Food for thought ...

;)

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline newoodhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2006, 09:33 PM »
I lost one down the hole also and my new one now has a small bobber tied to it. Newoodhntr

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.