Author Topic: A few questions about the Marcum LX-5  (Read 799 times)

Offline iceman_phil

• Team IceShanty Regular
A few questions about the Marcum LX-5
« on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:02 AM »
We currently own a very old Vexilar FL-8 and a somewhat newer Vex FL-18….We are in the market to upgrade the old FL-8 and the Marcum LX-5 is the one we are considering, but I have a few questions….These questions are somewhat basic, but I have to ask them because the Marcum Website and Brochure are pretty much useless with their severe lack of information and decent sized pictures.

1.  Brightness – How does the overall brightness of the LX-5 compare to the newer Vex’s?  My old FL-8 is very hard to see on all but the darkess days, but the newer FL-18 is very good in all light conditions.

2.  Depth Ranges – What are the depth ranges on the LX-5?

3.  Infinitely Adjustable Zoom – What exactly does that mean?  I know I read that you can move the zoom range anywhere in the water column to read the bottom or to fish up in the water column for suspending fish….I get that part….Is the actual Zoom Range/Window adjustable too or is it a set window of 6 feet or so?  I know the Vex FL-18 has a 6 foot Zoom Range/Window…..Can you be fishing in 10 feet of water with the LX-5 and “Zoom” into just the bottom 2 feet of water?

4.  How do you adjust the Zoom Location and Range/Window size?  Again, I can’t see anything in the picture of the LX-5, so I can’t see what the buttons say or what the knob says….On our FL-18, you simply turn the one knob to “AZ” and viola, you are in zoom mode.

I will probably have more questions when these are answered….Many Thanks in advance.

Phil

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: A few questions about the Marcum LX-5
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:34 AM »
We currently own a very old Vexilar FL-8 and a somewhat newer Vex FL-18….We are in the market to upgrade the old FL-8 and the Marcum LX-5 is the one we are considering, but I have a few questions….These questions are somewhat basic, but I have to ask them because the Marcum Website and Brochure are pretty much useless with their severe lack of information and decent sized pictures. Marcum no longer has the manuals online and the LX-5 manual physically is almost too small to read, Marcum, what are you doing here???

1.  Brightness – How does the overall brightness of the LX-5 compare to the newer Vex’s?  My old FL-8 is very hard to see on all but the darkess days, but the newer FL-18 is very good in all light conditions. Very very bright, no problem even in direct sun

2.  Depth Ranges – What are the depth ranges on the LX-5? 20,40,80,160'

3.  Infinitely Adjustable Zoom – What exactly does that mean?  I know I read that you can move the zoom range anywhere in the water column to read the bottom or to fish up in the water column for suspending fish….I get that part….Is the actual Zoom Range/Window adjustable too or is it a set window of 6 feet or so?  I know the Vex FL-18 has a 6 foot Zoom Range/Window…..Can you be fishing in 10 feet of water with the LX-5 and “Zoom” into just the bottom 2 feet of water?The zoom window is 5' while using the 20' or 40' scale, expanded to 10' by pressing zoom again. In 80' setting has a 10' window, 20' if you press zoom again. 160' has a 20' window, 40' if yur press zoom. You are correct about moving the window anywhere, but the smallest zoom window is 5'.  I find the difference is night and day, you can easily see a fish hit your bait on the zoom, a little harder on the full window.

4.  How do you adjust the Zoom Location and Range/Window size?  Again, I can’t see anything in the picture of the LX-5, so I can’t see what the buttons say or what the knob says….On our FL-18, you simply turn the one knob to “AZ” and viola, you are in zoom mode. As above, it's one button "Zoom" to press, press again to double the window size, up and down buttons to move the window up and down in the water column, pretty straight forward. In zoom the target separation is 3/4" which is the best out there AFAIK

I will probably have more questions when these are answered….Many Thanks in advance.
Hope that helps, I am very familiar with the LX-3 and LX-5 if you have more questions

Phil

Offline iceman_phil

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: A few questions about the Marcum LX-5
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2011, 11:28 AM »
Thank your for your help!!!  Just what I needed to know.....One will be on order shortly.

Phil

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.