Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2017  (Read 93030 times)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Newfound Circus Season 2017
« on: Jan 01, 2017, 09:16 PM »
Happy New Years Everyone!

If you don't know or aren't familiar with the Newfound Circus, we are a bunch of ice fishing folks that believe in a certain way of life on the ice. We believe in having a good time while helping each other out as Mother Nature can be a real....well, you know. Solo it can be a very bad experience however banded together, we can have fun and accomplish just about anything. We communicate via Motorola radio's on Channel 5.5 across the lake. This keeps us in touch, entertained and should there be any problems, you always have help or guidance. It's nice knowing your not alone but can be alone too.
For those of you that bring a radio, Don't be afraid to holler out on the radio and ask for updates etc...we'll let you know whats working for lures, bait, depth etc...however come the AVFD Derby (that's our Super Bowl) we tend to be a bit more secret. Reminder, Channel 5.5 is NOT child friendly so please be aware of that.

So during the season there are several events we look forward to such as 1st ice at Cummings Beach, 1st bounce outta Cummings Beach, Hitting our own spots around the lake, Controlling the board (having the most lakers), Who ever is in control of the board gets to Welcome those to the board, AVFD Derby, End of the season gathering and as of the last few years the Ice Shanty Gathering to name a few. Others and I keep this thread updated as to the shenanigans on the lake and with videos. We appreciate all comments, pictures and stories especially from those that fish the lake. It's nice to know whats happening around the lake. Post up how you did, what you caught and what was fun about fishing Newfound. Im sure there are some good stories to share.

I've been asked "how do i join the Newfound Circus?". It's easy, all you need is a handle, a radio and fish Newfound. That's it. Your in. Everyone that fishes Newfound is a part of the Circus. We all bring something to the table. Its about getting out and enjoying the New England winter, its about having fun, its about camaraderie and its about now....living in the moment.
There are some things we stride and take pride in. For example, lending a helping hand when you can, never taking anything personally, always come with a sense of humor, always be ready to react to whatever the day may bring and always pay it forward.

So let's kick this season off.

01/01/2017

Well, this season so far is starting out to be much better than last. In terms of ice conditions and catching lakers. 1st day of the season Baby!! Brisk dark morning, no wind and i was like a kid early X-Mas morning.

At Cummings Beach we have about 7" of ice and it is wet and slushy. Seemed like the shore line popped or the water is moving down the lake from West Shore Marina's bubblers. At the foot of the beach area at Cummings it is very wet and slushy. I got to the lake early this morning and was asked if i could help move a bob house that was stuck at the foot of the beach with the Argo. To my surprise it's a good sized house and brand new. We tied on and move it a bit however their runner was split and their rope broke. I told them after they repaired the runner i'll move it out to where they wanted to go (i wanted to get a line wet!). I managed to get my holes drilled and got one Motivator (spring line) down with a smelt. Again to my surprise, these guys got their runner repaired in timely fashion, they were excited and determined to get out. We got it moved to their spot and it was nice of them to ask what they owed me or what they can do to repay. I told them to just pay it forward. When you see someone else needing help, lend a hand and then tag that person to pay it forward. I think they got it as later in the day i saw them offer some help to another house that came onto the lake.

Afterwards got my second line down, a jig stick with a perch colored Bucktail and a smelt until i could get my sucker cut up. Got the heat going and started in on the filleting the sucker when I got one on the Motivator around 19". 1st laker of the season! Im in control of the board baby!!
I finished filleting the sucker and set up the rest of the gear (fish finder, camera etc etc) then CH came out. Her first ride in the Argo and on the ice. She came in the house, put her stuff away, picked out a jig (CH special), added some cut sucker meat, dropped it down and within 15 minutes jigged up her first laker. I welcomed her to the board. A short time after that, she jigged up her second laker. She now controlled the board. Dang that was short lived for me.

She then made me breakfast. Eggs and Bacon. I think she felt bad.

Beerhog got one and then Troutfreak which CH welcomed them to the board. I could sense Laker Taker was probably thinking of bumping his house but then he picked one up. CH welcomed him to the board. Then he got another which CH welcomed him to the board again then later in the day another. It is expected, Laker Taker was in control of the board. Tippin and Bucktail were skunked. Sorry guys.

We had a group of folks come on the ice and visited. They were amazed at the technology and comfort of ice fishing. I think they were thinking of taking up the "sport".
Tin man stopped by with his son haven't seen him in a few years so it was a good catch up.

We fished till dark then packed it up to go home and watch the game on DVR. Thanks guys for not ruining it for us. I asked them not to announce anything on the radio which i have to admit they didn't but i was asked many many times if i wanted to know the score.

Videos and pictures forth coming.

Welcome to the Newfound Circus Season 2017.

Enjoy and be safe.

Offline lawnguyjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Masshole
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2017
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2017, 09:31 PM »
Yay!!! Back in Circus mode. Glad to get out there today. Looking forward to all the shenanigans 2017 has in store.
Newfound (Circus)

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2017, 09:33 PM »
Well put Jiggin.  I love how you and the Circus put forth that idea of paying it forward and always lending a hand on the ice. Thats New Hampshire ice fishing right there. Thats what we do....
Its a New Year. Good luck this season. I hope to make a trip up soon.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2017, 05:20 AM »
I'm looking forward to my  am coffee and the "circus report" before work on Monday mornings. :)

Offline bassfun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2017, 05:51 AM »
great group of people

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2017, 08:38 AM »

Great to hear these stories! Wish I lived closer!

Thanks Jiggin

Jason
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2017, 04:30 PM »
Going out tomorrow to try our luck...if I may ask, what is the proper "ethical" distance to stay away from bob houses already in place?  I'm talking "unoccupied" or vacant shacks.
Don't want to violate anyone's "sphere" lol.
I know enough to stay away from occupied shacks with fishermen actively, fishing but was wondering what the regulars on the lake think an acceptable distance is from their houses?
As most guys, I'm looking for 40' of water.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2017, 04:35 PM »
Glad to see you guys out the first of the year. Just wondering any Guinea sightings?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2017, 07:15 PM »
Going out tomorrow to try our luck...if I may ask, what is the proper "ethical" distance to stay away from bob houses already in place?  I'm talking "unoccupied" or vacant shacks.
Don't want to violate anyone's "sphere" lol.
I know enough to stay away from occupied shacks with fishermen actively, fishing but was wondering what the regulars on the lake think an acceptable distance is from their houses?
As most guys, I'm looking for 40' of water.

There's plenty of space to fish in 40' of water where you don't need to fish around anyones houses vacant or not. Plenty of space, shouldn't be an issue. Farther the better.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2017, 08:33 PM »
1/02/2017

Another early morning. First on the lake and cold. All water from yesterday is now frozen.

Got set up and saw a couple of lakers on the fish finder but couldn't get them interested. CH joined me and we started in on breakfast. Fishog came out today for a bit.

Later in the morning had a chance to fly the new drone as the weather was really nice. I think i got some good footage, need to check later.

Went the rest of the day without seeing a laker.

Back at it tomorrow but gonna bounce the house to another spot.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2017, 08:34 PM »
Glad to see you guys out the first of the year. Just wondering any Guinea sightings?

Nope, unfortunately no sightings of Guinea. Soon I'm sure.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:01 AM »
Good to hear the circus is in town, looking forward to reports and a couple adventures there myself.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:09 AM »
Can't wait until the north freezes so I can get the house out !
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day"

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2017, 01:57 PM »
Spent some hours on Newfound today...we got out before sunrise...said hi to jiggin after he bounced his house.
No action whatsoever...had 4 traps out (wifey was holed up in the pop up) then had one trap that was malfunctioning (wouldn't trip the flag ) so I jigged for a couple hours.
Weather was fairly miserable throughout and by one o'clock we'd had it...everything was soaking wet and is now all hanging in the basement drying out.
Better days ahead I hope!
Thinking more about a hard side but they come with their own set of issues except having to pack it up each time...maybe next year...
ol' Jiggin has the hot setup now with the Argo and house! Nice to see the inside for the first time.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2017, 04:54 PM »
1/3/3017

Just got in from the lake. Got there later than i wanted as i needed to go to the bait box this morning and get another sucker.

Yesterday before we left, i set the house up so i could grab it this morning and pull it to another spot. Moved it to 50 fow. Saw lakers all day however could not get them to commit. They would swim aggressively to my jigs and then stop and turn away. Tried Perch Colored bucktail with sucker meat and then smelt. Tried kastmaster with both smelt and cut bait. Tried a piece of chum on a spring line still nothing. Even resorted to using CH's jig and jig stick....don't tell her. They would act interested and then change their mind. All day......

Only had time to eat some Jimmy Dean Sausage today cause of those damn lakers kept messing with me. Ribeye will have to wait till tomorrow.

Mowbizz stopped over today, good to see you again sorry we didn't get a good chance to chat, i was in the middle of setting up but you and the wife are more than welcome over anytime. I should of showed you around the place. Again my apologizes.

Some chatting on the radio between Laker Taker, Tippin and I today.

Pulled my house back to shore tonight and will take it out again tomorrow, house is all set up inside to bounce in the am. Most likely will beach it at the end of tomorrow too and let the lake harden up some till the weekend. No pics or videos today, a dreary day and raw out. Didn't expect to use the heater today but ended up turning it on.

See what tomorrow will bring.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2017, 06:42 PM »
Congrats to you all on the start of your season

Offline BuKhUnT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:37 PM »
1/3/3017

Just got in from the lake. Got there later than i wanted as i needed to go to the bait box this morning and get another sucker.

Yesterday before we left, i set the house up so i could grab it this morning and pull it to another spot. Moved it to 50 fow. Saw lakers all day however could not get them to commit. They would swim aggressively to my jigs and then stop and turn away. Tried Perch Colored bucktail with sucker meat and then smelt. Tried kastmaster with both smelt and cut bait. Tried a piece of chum on a spring line still nothing. Even resorted to using CH's jig and jig stick....don't tell her. They would act interested and then change their mind. All day......

Only had time to eat some Jimmy Dean Sausage today cause of those damn lakers kept messing with me. Ribeye will have to wait till tomorrow.

Mowbizz stopped over today, good to see you again sorry we didn't get a good chance to chat, i was in the middle of setting up but you and the wife are more than welcome over anytime. I should of showed you around the place. Again my apologizes.

Some chatting on the radio between Laker Taker, Tippin and I today.

Pulled my house back to shore tonight and will take it out again tomorrow, house is all set up inside to bounce in the am. Most likely will beach it at the end of tomorrow too and let the lake harden up some till the weekend. No pics or videos today, a dreary day and raw out. Didn't expect to use the heater today but ended up turning it on.

See what tomorrow will bring.

Jiggin good story! I have a Quick question, what is your method of securing your house to the ice? Reason I ask I have a house for the first time this season and I notice you are moving around a lot... My thought was to use a 2x4 with rope under the ice and ratchet to the rope.... Wondering if others have creative useful tips... Thanks!
Scott P.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:02 PM »

Jiggin good story! I have a Quick question, what is your method of securing your house to the ice? Reason I ask I have a house for the first time this season and I notice you are moving around a lot... My thought was to use a 2x4 with rope under the ice and ratchet to the rope.... Wondering if others have creative useful tips... Thanks!

Hi BuKhUnT

I cut 2x4's in half x 12" - 16" long

I use a Nil's 4.5" auger to cut my tie down holes and cut my tie down sticks at least 12" or longer.

I use 1/2" - 5/8" thick rope (the winds can be fierce on Newfound) from Homedepot or JR's discount and a ratchet. Tie the rope around your tie down stick and send it down. Then tie a loop and cut the rope. Rachel from the house down to the loop.

Another idea is if you want to bounce around for the day with your hard side, undo your tie down ratchet straps, leave your tie downs / rope there and take off for the day. At the end of the day, come back to your original spot and re-connect your ratchets to your tie downs / rope.

Offline BuKhUnT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:08 PM »
Hi BuKhUnT

I cut 2x4's in half x 12" - 16" long

I use a Nil's 4.5" auger to cut my tie down holes and cut my tie down sticks at least 12" or longer.

I use 1/2" - 5/8" thick rope (the winds can be fierce on Newfound) from Homedepot or JR's discount and a ratchet. Tie the rope around your tie down stick and send it down. Then tie a loop and cut the rope. Rachel from the house down to the loop.

Another idea is if you want to bounce around for the day with your hard side, undo your tie down ratchet straps, leave your tie downs / rope there and take off for the day. At the end of the day, come back to your original spot and re-connect your ratchets to your tie downs / rope.

Great, good to know I am on the right path LOL first year with a hard side pretty excited! Good luck and be safe! See you on the ice!   :tipup:

[/quote
Scott P.

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:22 PM »
Hey Jiggin is there any ice at all north of Mayhew Island? I have a few spots in mind that are north of Mayhew but I'm willing to bet that they are wide open.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2017, 04:32 AM »
Hey Jiggin is there any ice at all north of Mayhew Island? I have a few spots in mind that are north of Mayhew but I'm willing to bet that they are wide open.

I flew the drone over that area last weekend and there was tissue ice there.  Very thin at best as far as I could tell. Maybe in a week or so it might be safe if we get some serious cold. After yesterday and today's weather it might have disappear.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:09 PM »
1/04/2017

Back out again today. Hooked onto the bob house and followed Navionics to 45 fow. Fished there for half the day then bumped over to the 60 foot hole. Unfortunately the underwater camera i brought wouldn't reach that deep but according to the fish finder there were constant arches in deeper water than shallow so it seemed.

Nice day, temps reached 40f but cloudy with slight breeze. Saved propane today.

Was going to beach the house at the end of the day but with the cold weather coming tonight i bumped it over to high ice, jacked it up and tied it down.

Sausage for breakfast and Ribeye on the grill for dinner. Only caught 1 laker today but that ties me up with CH for the season ;D

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:23 PM »
Sausage for breakfast and Ribeye on the grill for dinner. Only caught 1 laker today but that ties me up with CH for the season ;D
Well, that's what really counts, isn't Jiggin?  ;)

I'd say you're a little spoiled with that Argo but you deserve it!
Enjoy.  :)

Offline Lunker City

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:30 AM »
You guys are awesome and I love the comradery and the "pay it forward" morals that you guys follow. That is huge. I always fish with a group of people up behind Mayhew and have met a couple of you. I am hoping to do more fishing this year than usual so I will start to carry a radio and give you a shout when I do. Good luck this year and rip those lips!

Offline Hornpout123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:26 PM »
Far away but what kind of luck do you have with cusk? Going in February, staying with friends in a house next to the bakery (basic ingredients I think) if you know where that is and we just have a pop up shanty and our feet to shelter and move from that area when we go to target lakers, cusk, trout and maybe smallies? Heard the rainbow fishing is good in that rock/sandy bottom cove just off the bakery. Anywhere within easy walkin distance of around there good for lakers or cusk? Thanks for your tips/predictions as it is far away!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2017, 04:48 AM »
First video of the 2017 season.

Enjoy...best played in HD.

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2017, 05:20 AM »
Happen to know of ice conditions on Hebron side of lake by any chance?

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2017, 05:21 AM »
Great video Jiggin keep them coming.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2017, 05:48 AM »
The Argo is awesome..must make it so much easier to pull your bob house around as it packs down a nice trail..
Congrats !!   

I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2017, 05:53 AM »
Well done on the vid. Episode 1 of many more hopefully!
Keep em comin
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.