Author Topic: Spoon jigging technique  (Read 3545 times)

Offline MCGILLA G

• IceShanty Rookie
Spoon jigging technique
« on: Jan 25, 2020, 08:38 AM »
When fishing a spoon do you typically let it hit the bottom when fishing for perch, bang it a few times and then start the jigging process? Or do most people raised the spoon up higher, so you get more flutter action? I’m still a pretty new ice fishermen and have done well with the Tungstens & jigging raps. But have not had much luck with a spoon, also are you guys playing it any differently with different size spoons?

Thanks !

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Spoon jigging technique
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:50 AM »
I'll bang it on bottom, I usually let it hit bottom then pull it up a foot off bottom and jig a little then let it sit for a few seconds. Just have to let the fish tell you what they want.

Offline MCGILLA G

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2020, 12:08 PM »
I'll bang it on bottom, I usually let it hit bottom then pull it up a foot off bottom and jig a little then let it sit for a few seconds. Just have to let the fish tell you what they want.

Thanks that’s what I was looking for !

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2020, 12:14 PM »
I vary speed, how much I bring it up, depending on what they want.  Sometimes they'll hit the spoon on the fall so no real bite, just weight on the rod when you start bringing it off of bottom.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2020, 01:42 PM »
I fish them exactly the same as a jigging rap. Hold it above fish or just off bottom and shake/jig the heck out of it until a fish comes in and then slowly twitch and rock it until they bite. Pounding bottom can be effective to call in fish, if you have a silty bottom. It stirs up a cloud of silt and mimics a fish that just got a meal, so the rest come in to investigate. Remember to lift you spoon above the silt cloud though, so usually a foot or so off bottom. Pound 3-5 times then lift it a foot and jig it for 3-5 seconds then repeat. 
EYECONICFISHING

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2020, 07:06 AM »
What most people don't think about is how much of a tip stroke one needs to flip the spoon to do a little dance.  Something to practice in a bucket of water at times.

With the correct rod, one can also tip tap/drop to jig a spoon.  As some spoon will plane out right away in a little as maybe half an inch.  It's just enough to cause a flicker on such a spoon. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.