Author Topic: Kinda see what the fuss is all about!  (Read 1728 times)

Offline FishnWishn

• IceShanty Rookie
Kinda see what the fuss is all about!
« on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:31 AM »
Being from Hawaii there was no way you could get me to go out on that ice. The only ice I was comfortable with was the one cube in my scotch when I didn't drink it neat! Took our spin cast rods and tried ice fishing about 5 years ago at 11 mile with my son-n-law and we froze our a$$e$ off. Saw some guy lying face down on the ice with his jacket over his head. thought he slipped and fell but figured out he was just lying on that cold to look down a hole in the ice. Madness!! Got so cold I rented a clam from the store only to have the wind blow us over the holes that my s-n-l had arduously dug with his grandpas old hand auger. Not that it mattered though, we were probably in 3FOW, so yea we got skunked. I thought that was the end of it but my daughter bought my s-n-l one of those eskimo packages from Cabelas this past Christmas, and a vexilar, and a fancy Striker Ice float suit for his b-day last month. Not wanting to have him going out on the ice alone, and my daughter being pregnant with my 2nd grandchild, I tackled it again. Took coordinates from where I trolled the familiar lakes and actually out fished my boat 2-1, Twin Lakes it was like 10-1. Who knew! Anyway sorry for the long post but just wanted to say Hi instead of just trolling for tips on this site. Now I have something to fill in the gap of my boating, fly fishing, and hunting seasons. I am COMPLETE!  Aloha and Mahalo!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Kinda see what the fuss is all about!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:35 AM »
Ola-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:40 AM »
Very cool you kept with it after freezing and not catching fish. Welcome

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:04 AM »
Sweet!  Aloha and welcome, and glad you caught the ice bug!  Which island are you from?
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline FishnWishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2019, 11:08 AM »
Family from Lanai and the Big Island but work is on Oahu so that's where I was born. Been running around the Colorado mountains since 83 so I have adopted Colorado as home. Bucket list is when I retire(soon) is to ride my motorcycle and dip a line in every state. Right now I am working on just every lake in Colorado. No easy task but I manage  ;).

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2019, 11:59 AM »
A 'o ia haole. A hui hou. Very few things in this world more fun than bluewater kayak fishing. I've done some off Baja but on the bucket list is the south coast of the Big Island for

tuna and wahoo. Giant Trevally? May fate give you the life to fish all fifty states, an appealing dream. I've only got about a dozen in the books. Please post your location in your

avatar. We may be able to help to get you to the next level on the ice.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline FishnWishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03:43 PM »
ahhh the buffalos of the sea. Ulua aukea, the giant trevally! Those can grow north of 150 lbs. Bring the biggest surface bass plug that you can find and you'll have a ball! Unless you want a challenge. My bro-n-law on the island of Yap near Fiji fishes for those all day using 100lb test hand lines. "Caution they do leave scars!"

Offline mountana

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03:59 PM »
Sweet!  Aloha and welcome, and glad you caught the ice bug!  Which island are you from?
I freeze and don't catch fish all the time. Sure beats watching football.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:29 PM »
Welcome FishinWishin plenty of information on this website and lots of helpful people. Best to your daughter with her pregnancy enjoy the new grandchild.
Steve

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:54 AM »

[/quote]
ahhh the buffalos of the sea. Ulua aukea, the giant trevally! Those can grow north of 150 lbs. Bring the biggest surface bass plug that you can find and you'll have a ball! Unless you want a challenge. My bro-n-law on the island of Yap near Fiji fishes for those all day using 100lb test hand lines. "Caution they do leave scars!"
I know that we're on the Colorado ice fishing board but I can't quite drop this topic and you're too junior for Personal Messages (10). I'm trying to mix in handlining with Cuban yo-yo's at every opportunity having caught Jack Crevalle that way years ago. I ain't man enough to take on Giant Trevally on a handline and I've never met anyone strong enough to attempt it. Still, it makes an agreeable fantasy for a dreary day in early February in the middle of Colorado.

Do you feel like you're tackled up to where you want to be?
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:41 AM »
I may have some run-ins with papio, (maybe ulua) and omilu coming up soon...bringing an arsenal of bass lures, kastmasters, even a few blade baits.  I figure the stranger lures they haven’t seen out there might get a strike!  Stay tuned...
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline FishnWishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:37 PM »
I know that we're on the Colorado ice fishing board but I can't quite drop this topic and you're too junior for Personal Messages (10). I'm trying to mix in handlining with Cuban yo-yo's at every opportunity having caught Jack Crevalle that way years ago. I ain't man enough to take on Giant Trevally on a handline and I've never met anyone strong enough to attempt it. Still, it makes an agreeable fantasy for a dreary day in early February in the middle of Colorado.

Do you feel like you're tackled up to where you want to be?
I'm getting there. Found a few jigs that seem to work on bows and Lakers. finding one to entice a big laker is a challenge. Bought out a neighbors rig so we ended up with the eskimo 3 hut and a fish trap voyager, an 8" and 10" power augers, about 15 rods and reels but still prefer to use the same 2 rods. s-n-l has his vexilar 8se, I'm still trying to decide what I need/want. almost pulled the trigger on a Vexilar fl-20 pro reconditioned for $350 but hesitated too long.

So far only fished Tarryall and Twin Lakes this season. Don't have anything to compare our success with but we beat out that chilly 11 mile skunk trip by far. Tarryall because it's 5 miles down the road from our cabin and I fish it at least once a month on my boat. Twin lakes because that's the closest lake I knew for lakers and can also use the RZR to pull all the gear. Those short poles are heavy! S-n-l won't go back to 11 mile.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2019, 08:24 AM »
I'm getting there. Found a few jigs that seem to work on bows and Lakers. finding one to entice a big laker is a challenge. Bought out a neighbors rig so we ended up with the eskimo 3 hut and a fish trap voyager, an 8" and 10" power augers, about 15 rods and reels but still prefer to use the same 2 rods. s-n-l has his vexilar 8se, I'm still trying to decide what I need/want. almost pulled the trigger on a Vexilar fl-20 pro reconditioned for $350 but hesitated too long.

So far only fished Tarryall and Twin Lakes this season. Don't have anything to compare our success with but we beat out that chilly 11 mile skunk trip by far. Tarryall because it's 5 miles down the road from our cabin and I fish it at least once a month on my boat. Twin lakes because that's the closest lake I knew for lakers and can also use the RZR to pull all the gear. Those short poles are heavy! S-n-l won't go back to 11 mile.
Heck, you're loaded for bear already. That's handy having a cabin so near to Tarryall where the fishing is steady if unspectacular. You may want to stop in at Antero now and then since you have to drive past it on your way to Twin Lakes from the cabin anyway and it can provide some quality trout. Can't really blame your s-n-l for disliking the Mile. It can be tough. Good luck out there.
                                                               Stinky

Offline FishnWishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2019, 09:29 AM »
Heck, you're loaded for bear already. That's handy having a cabin so near to Tarryall where the fishing is steady if unspectacular. You may want to stop in at Antero now and then since you have to drive past it on your way to Twin Lakes from the cabin anyway and it can provide some quality trout. Can't really blame your s-n-l for disliking the Mile. It can be tough. Good luck out there.
Ha yea maybe some overkill gear, and that's only skimming it, but I always work with the Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared"I can always leave it in the truck! Plan on stopping at Antero Have lots of waypoints on my Lowrance and Garmin to try out but s-n-l is hooked on lakers since I took him to Twin. He has a 30" goal set for the year.

The cabin is a great base to start out from. Retiring from the Post Office in 3 years and that's where I starting my bucket list from. Another advantage is all the residences in the development are Members of the Tarryall Fishing club as part of the HOA dues. We have 3 private lakes(ponds) and about 7 miles of the Tarryall river leased from the state for private fishing. From the Stagestop Saloon to Tarryall. A CPW officer told me that over half the fish in Tarryall is due to the club stocking the river 2-3 times a year. Have invited many families to introduce the kids to fishing as well as Vets to fly fishing.

But back to ice fishing. got lots of questions. should I start new posts so they don't get lost in this thread?

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2019, 09:14 AM »
Ha yea maybe some overkill gear, and that's only skimming it, but I always work with the Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared"I can always leave it in the truck! Plan on stopping at Antero Have lots of waypoints on my Lowrance and Garmin to try out but s-n-l is hooked on lakers since I took him to Twin. He has a 30" goal set for the year.

The cabin is a great base to start out from. Retiring from the Post Office in 3 years and that's where I starting my bucket list from. Another advantage is all the residences in the development are Members of the Tarryall Fishing club as part of the HOA dues. We have 3 private lakes(ponds) and about 7 miles of the Tarryall river leased from the state for private fishing. From the Stagestop Saloon to Tarryall. A CPW officer told me that over half the fish in Tarryall is due to the club stocking the river 2-3 times a year. Have invited many families to introduce the kids to fishing as well as Vets to fly fishing.

But back to ice fishing. got lots of questions. should I start new posts so they don't get lost in this thread?

You sure sound like the kind of guy that the Colorado board needs, fresh blood to offset the crusty old blisters like me. I value the idea of you using your access to private waters

as a gift to be shared for kids and veterans. I'd probably just post new threads as they occur to you.
                                                               Stinky

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.