Author Topic: ice rods for gills?  (Read 3368 times)

Offline FishingNy03

• Team IceShanty Regular
ice rods for gills?
« on: Jan 03, 2014, 04:41 PM »
what kind.of.rod is decent for.gills? ultra lights??? not looking to spend a ton because I havnt fished for.gills before

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ice rods for gills?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2014, 06:33 PM »
Ice Blue ULs are fine and won't break the bank

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:05 PM »
I picked up two riversyder super ul rods at my local baitshop. Spent a 20 for both. Great for gills crappie and perch. No need for a spring bobber either
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2014, 03:42 PM »
Other than some custom rods I own I really like the Frabill Bro Series Quicktip rods. Jason Mitchell Meat Sticks are dandies  also.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline SKAMPO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2014, 04:12 PM »
Any "bargain" rod is going to be good enough for gills. I kinda like a medium action with a good spring bobber, but ultra lights without a bobber are nice also. A stiffer rod just makes it easier to set the hook, don't have to lift as high to get into the backbone of the rod.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2014, 04:19 PM »
Pinching the barbs makes hook sets so much easier and deeper. The fishes desire to escape will easily keep them on. Very rarely miss on a hook set and I'll open the gap a bit if practical on non 45* hangers. Might be surprised on the hookup percentage compared to the barbed users

Offline SKAMPO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:09 PM »
Pinching the barbs makes hook sets so much easier and deeper. The fishes desire to escape will easily keep them on. Very rarely miss on a hook set and I'll open the gap a bit if practical on non 45* hangers. Might be surprised on the hookup percentage compared to the barbed users

Awesome tip, never thought of doing that. Probably makes the unhooking much easier also, sometimes those barbs can really get lodged and you end up wasting valuable seconds when theirs more fish below. :thumbsup:

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:22 PM »
Amazed nobody has brought up the generic Schooley, been catching 'gills forever and fun to use

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2014, 12:44 PM »
I usethe St Croix Legend rods, have  UL and a ML. I like them because they have the build in spring bobber that can be changed

Offline wicane07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2014, 06:06 PM »
as long as the rod is very sensitive i dont think it matters too much. there have been times when the gills were biting so lightly that the only way to detect it was the line moved sideways a hair.

then i got a rod that bends with the slightest touch.

however we all know that gills can slam it when they want to so i only have one rod that is little more than a stalk of wheat, and others with a little more stiffness. change your rod based on the bite, and you can do that if you spend 20$ or less on them.

its an ice fishing rod, theres no casting to think about so its really not about the price tag.

don't be hung up on brands, hit your local outdoor store with a good selection and run your fingers over a few, you'll be able to pick a winner in any price range.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2014, 06:34 PM »
Thorne Bros Sweet Thing; top quality gill rod under $60.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.