Author Topic: try this!  (Read 3014 times)

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
try this!
« on: Feb 25, 2013, 11:14 AM »
we all chase the slobs...yesterday i stopped for beer and bait...waxies/wigs....the place selling them was out of wigs...but there was 1 container of trout worms(the red ones)so i bought them...fished all day with waxies and caught dinks all day...was even catching pike on jigs and waxies...ran out of waxies...ran back to the truck for the worms...and beleive it or not...the dinks would not touch them...however ...caught 6 in a row 8-9 inches...the bigger ones must eat worms.
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: try this!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2013, 03:36 PM »
Been an advocate of deadsticking a worm on the bottom for years, but I use plastic. Take a barbless, lead, horizontal jig with an Aberdeen hook, bend the shank "UP" 30*- 45*, pinch the barb and open the gap a bit. String on a Whip, Bloodworm or Tri-Tail so the tip is pointing nearly straight up and drop it down to inside 1/4" of the bottom then leave it there. Work the water column with another rod but will generally catch more/bigger fish on the worm. 'gills, Perch even Crappies are often skidding along the bottom right under the "seemingly" more active fish above them. A Super sensitive spring bobber and good line watching out of the corner of your eye for the super subtle slurping of the worm is very helpful but be careful often the rod starts going towards the hole in a hurry

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2013, 08:05 AM »
Your talking a red worm/ live bait not plastic rite? And you fished a whole worm?
I've never fished worms through ice. Bet a guy could get couple catfish like this.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2013, 08:45 AM »
Your talking a red worm/ live bait not plastic rite? And you fished a whole worm?
I've never fished worms through ice. Bet a guy could get couple catfish like this.
yes..live red worms(around here they call them trout worms)..a whole one seemed to be too much..depending on the size of your worm(lol),,a oiece about 1inch long seemed to work good.dont know about catfish...but the gills sure seem to like them.
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2013, 10:21 AM »
Definitely going to do some field testing. ;) To Swift's point a Schooley rig would work well; I drill about a 1/4'' hole through the end of the handle and put a ten or 12'' piece of old, broken fishing rod through; no more lost rod!

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2013, 01:37 PM »
never thought of that...good idea. Im going to give it a try on Sat. Cheers.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2013, 03:26 PM »
Good tip !

WS

Offline HuntHard

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If I'm Not Fishin I'm Wishin Vexilar Rocks
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2013, 07:53 AM »
Dont be afraid to use 1/8 th jigging spoon either as you will get more size