Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Mississippi Backwater perch.  (Read 4600 times)

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Mississippi Backwater perch.
« on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:02 PM »
Anybody have any first hand experience with a guide service for the area?

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Mississippi Backwater perch.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:13 AM »
why do you need a guide? just go the normal perch producing spots

If you want to stay in iowa hit up desoto bay (southern end for perch), new albin area, etc. If you spring for a WI license just head straight to Lacrosse and Stoddard

Airport lights, first day, no guide

Catchin' Fish

Offline SchlitzBeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:41 AM »
Nice work Matzilla. You fish the Miss a lot? Grew up in Dubuque, never made it that far North.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:22 AM »
I fish it quite a bit down this way....I've ice fished Dubuque, Cassville, and Lacrosse to the north. Backwaters are by far my favorite areas to fish

Catchin' Fish

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:37 AM »
I fished Onalaska last year. We went to Lawrence Lake this year without success. I'm gonna hit Onalaska again at the late ice period this year. Excellent size and variety.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline tyke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2019, 11:18 AM »
Matzilla I see you mentioned New Albin. I was wondering if there are multiple places to get on the ice or just the boat ramp. I have fished Black Hawk area but never ventured up Minnesota Slough very far (in the summer).
jdj

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2019, 11:26 AM »
not really....with an iowa license anyway. get a wi or mn license and it is game on above new albin

Catchin' Fish

Offline tyke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2019, 09:46 AM »
Ok Matzilla thanks for the info.
jdj

Offline Yellowriver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2019, 11:05 AM »
Would like to hear more about north of new albin. Have not fished up there this winter due to the min slough not freezing over early and poor reports. I have fished from green lake to greymore this year with not a lot of luck. don't mind walking but don't want to mess with current areas and weak ice. Thanks

Offline SchlitzBeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2019, 08:10 AM »
The backwaters of the Mississippi are very fun. Lots of memories walking the railroad tracks to get places when I was young. Once I got old enough, dad let us take the quads out.

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2019, 08:27 AM »
Can you typically take snowmobiles and quads out on the backwaters or is it to dangerous?

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2019, 08:36 AM »
The backwaters of the Mississippi are very fun. Lots of memories walking the railroad tracks to get places when I was young. Once I got old enough, dad let us take the quads out.

Seems like for perch anyway, its always a long walk on the backwaters to get to a good spot. I'm in an area where I'm pretty close to a dam. Pool 14, very few perch, I'm sure there are some honey holes, I haven't found them. Pool 13 is loaded with perch.

Not sure on the rules with snowmobiles/quads, I think different states have different regulations. Where I'm at it's Iowa/Illinois, and usually there is enough ice for quads/snowmobiles, just got to know where any springs or current areas might be. As far as trucks go, it's pretty rare to see vehicles on the ice here but there are a few spots on Pool 13 people braver than I am will drive on.

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2019, 08:49 AM »
I'm assuming a bait shop could give you the DL on whether the ice is safe for machines and spots to watch out for in terms of current?

Offline SchlitzBeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2019, 10:14 AM »
Does anyone fish pool 11 much? I was on the Navionics app and noticed a deeper cut off the main channel all the way to the east shoreline (almost 30' deep at its deepest. Its straight east of the John Deere plant that is just north of the Dubuque lock and dam. I've never have fished over there but would be interesting to try. Probably wouldnt be able to get over there for ice fishing but just checking for open water. Check the attached photo.

Offline HANDLINE2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2019, 01:01 PM »
Know this a real late reply but as far as I know quads are allowed on Miss backwaters. I use mine all the time. Rules state motorized vehicles are not allowed to go on any land around the backwaters just the ice. it would be nice to cut a cross in places to shorten the trip but it's not allowed.
It's mind over matter, if you don't have a mind it don't matter.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2019, 01:37 PM »
down this way, no quads on refuge land/water, and almost all of the good backwaters are in refuge lol so we have to walk. One year we had a good 2' of snow on the ice and someone came down with a tractor and plowed a path way out to a community hole, it was a God send.

Schlitz, thats a big ol cut bank along that shear bluff/rail line - I'd hit that hard during low flow open water! Did you try it out?

La Crosse/Onalaska is back on the list of places to ice fish again this season and I honestly cannot wait to get back up that way

Catchin' Fish

Offline SchlitzBeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2019, 10:41 AM »
Matzilla - I haven't tried it yet....will definitely have to though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.