Author Topic: New Members to Team Alaska, introduce yourselves here!  (Read 116655 times)

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
This area is for new members on the Alaska forum and to Team Alaska to introduce yourself and to be welcomed by our other members. If you have any questions please just ask.

Thanks

Brad; Forum Moderator for Alaska section and member of "Team Alaska"  >:D

Offline FrankAk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Members to Team Alaska, introduce yourselves here!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:33 PM »
I guess I will have to kick this one off.

Well I am 17 years old and I live in Anchorage. I may be young but I like to go fish long and hard. Right now ive been targeting burbot and lake trout. I do a lot of fishing on the kenai peninsula but am now starting to explore up north a little more. Apart from hunting and fishing my life revolves around wrestling  ( all three styles ). I am currently ranked 2nd in the state at 130lb weight class. Anyways I hope to beat my personal best of a 24lb9oz lake trout this year during the tournement.

If you guys have any questions to ask me i will be mre than happy to awnser them.

Oh yeah if you have any tips on fishing im all ears.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:48 PM »
Welcome FrankAK, glad to see your not shy. Great job on the Laker, where did you catch him/her? I caught a 28lb laker last year and hope to do that good again this year. Although we will not probably take that category thanks to those hardwater nuts in BC. They have the length  down there and that's what wins the tourney, while we have the girth which is what matters for most of us.

Welcome aboard and have fun, you will find a wealth of knowlege here in our area as well as IS itself.

Brad

Offline FrankAk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2006, 12:48 AM »
I cought it down on the kenai peninsula. Im pretty sure it was a male. Anyways Im going to be heading up north for byers or long lake. Going to see if I can pull a few bots up and maybee a char or laker.

I cant decide on which lake to go so ill let the ice shantiers chime in.

Offline rgfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2006, 08:53 PM »
I guess I will go next, My name is Rick and I live to fish, Im 26 years old and just moved up to anchorage in june from ketchikan. not a whole lot of ice fishing down there. so im just starting out. i have only fished the lakes on fotr rich but i seem to be doing okay ive iced a total of 20 bows and have only gone out 4 times 5 of them were over 20" but I do look forward to getting advice on where to go and what to do. I might have only been ice fishing 4 times but i am hooked on it and plan to go any chance I get.

Offline FrozenMarc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2006, 10:25 PM »
My name is Marc,  I've lived in Alaska for 8 years now.  Just returned from a tour of duty in Korea for a year.  Now that I'm back, and retired from the Air Force, I try to get out and fish as much as I can before I find a job next year.  I'm usually found out on Sand lake during the weekdays, so if you see me say Hi.

Marc

Offline gokorn1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Air Traffic Controller In Training
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2006, 10:52 PM »
My Name is Tim. I moved up here from Albuquerque, New Mexico a little over a year ago. I go to school at UAA. Getting a degree in Air Traffic Control. I did tons of fishing back home for Bass. Once i moved up here I had a hard time switching over to trout and salmon.  I did a little ice fishing last winter but really hit it hard this winter.  I spent my whole summer fishing on the keni and around south central for kings and slivers. My first king was a 55lb monster. So as a bass fisherman it was the biggest fish I have ever caught. Once again switching from bass to trout and salmon is hard and I'm glad theres sites like this for me to ask all my dumb questions.   :)
Cash Crate
Treasure Trooper

Offline zack64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2006, 10:54 PM »
My name is Zack, Im 18 and have lived and fished Alaska all my life.  I just really got into ice fishing this past year, but have fished extensivly in the summer, mostly for salmon and trout with my newest focus being on fly fishing.  The only lake I've icefished hard is big lake for char(when i was 4 i caught a 7Lb 27incher).  Otherwise i'm just getting started on trying to catch some pike, burbot, and big rainbows through the ice.  I'm usually out fishing a least 3 days a week and have a truck, snowmachine, auger, and all the other necessary ice fishing gear.

Zack

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2006, 10:56 PM »
Welcome rgfish, FrozenMarc, gokorn1 and zack64 glad to see our numbers growing on the Alaska Forum. I don't think any one ice fishing in this state will be disappointed for long if they are not catching fish. It happens to everyone and after awhile things will turn around.

You will find tons of info and encouragement when you have  ??? or  :unsure: about anything on here.

Glad to have you and most of all have fun on here and in the outdoors.

Brad

Offline nptrash

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2006, 11:03 PM »
Im matt. I live in fairbanks and have lived here for 2 years this time around. tried the south for a year but gave up bikini girls and heat for the bunny boots and cold weather. i moved up here to eielson in 93 and stayed till 2004. got the bucket,jiffy 30,and the eskimo quickfish 3..now all i really need is more time off.I love this site! :bow:

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2006, 11:11 PM »
Welcome nptrash, I'm glad your enthusiastic about the site. Scott AKA Iceshanty has worked very hard to make this site what it is today but it wouldn't quite be the same if it wasn't for all the great folks on here including you who usually leave it all hanging out there, in a clean way that is.

Brad

Offline sladeheeb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2006, 04:11 PM »
New to the sport of ice fishing and this forum, I haven't ice fished for about 30 years, Doc Stubs has gotten me started and hooked on ice fishing, awesome way to spend the winter months.

Offline AKanders

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'im!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2006, 04:33 PM »
TEAM AK!

My name is Jake, and I have been in AK for a couple of years now.  I am working as an archaeologist in Eagle River, doing alot of work for the AK National Guard, and flying around going on crazy adventures to various villages.  I grew up in MN, and did limited Ice fishing then, but I am down like a clown for it now!  I love being out on the lakes in the darkness with the wind and the cold!  Too bad my wife doesn't share the same feeling (unless she is catching fish)! ::) I fish mainly around Anchor-town, but have a couple of big trips planned out soon, Lake Louise over Christmas being the first one!  I can't wait! ;D 

Anyways, this site rocks, as many have already said, and I will use my Nostradamus-like powers to predict that Team AK will take the IS tourney this year!   :tipup:

Cheers!

Jake

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2006, 05:36 PM »
long time Alaskan - just getting some free time to catch up on past fishing - never really got into ice fishing growing up (parents didn't do it so you just don't know what you're missing), but the lakes around fairbanks and their nice tasty fish are placating my fishing urges till summer. As with any other kind of fishing once you get into it - you're hooked, so it looks like I'll be a regular winter fisherman once I manage to get outfitted! Found a cheap deal on a hand auger last spring, but it's hard to drill a half dozen holes for the family that way! Any cheap gas augers out there? Maybe one that needs work - let me know!

I've found a few decent rainbows in Birch and Quartz - but would like to figure out the char situation - mmmmm....char! Those big lake trout and pike that are around here look like a blast as well, but again...got to learn how to fish them!

Ice fishing is a great way to get my young kids out fishing too, when it's not too cold. They really like fishing in the summer too, but salmon are too big for them and most of the lakes are tough to fish without a boat - docks and campgrounds get pretty crowded too. I would really like to build a shanty for next year...that way the weather doesn't make them retreat to the truck.

cool site, like the info...doing lots of searches to try and dig up char, lake trout, and pike secrets - of course good places to go and info on techniques (best depths - how to read the lake, etc) are golden to find too!

Guess that's enough!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2006, 12:39 PM »
. Apart from hunting and fishing my life revolves around wrestling  ( all three styles ). I am currently ranked 2nd in the state at 130lb weight class.
Oh yeah if you have any tips on fishing im all ears.

I wrestle as well but only with the wife, in a nice way ;)2 And that involves more than 3 styles ;D

Right on. Welcome aboard all you new and old Alaska members. Hope to see some postings of your beautiful artic char in the "Anything category" in tourney. Us in BC are looking forward to some competition from you guys in burbot and rainbow category. We have seen some old pics of Fishyman Jakes burbot and they are decent. Hope you guys can take up the slack in his abscence or marraige or whatever it is.  Where is that Barleydog, he fished with him in the past. Good luck to you all and have fun. Cheers
Terry

Offline zcostilla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2007, 11:30 AM »
Hello!

I just joined.  I moved to the Anchorage area about two years ago.  Before that I lived in South Dakota.  I did a lot of fishing for Rainbows there, but not much else.  I've been fishing Sand Lake since I got here and found this site while trying to get some more information on pike techniques. 

Zac

Offline Sharted

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2007, 11:11 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
I'm the one on the right (the human, not the dog)  ;)

TEAM ALASKA!!  I'm a true Alaska newby.  I moved up from Iowa this last June!  Working as a park ranger for the Corps of Engineers at the Flood Control Project in North Pole.  Before coming here, I'd lived in Iowa all my life and developed two passions: waterfowl hunting, and ice fishing.  Loved fishing the Iowa lakes for crappie, walleye, bluegill, pike, perch and others.  Tried to make a trip to South Dakota each year also. 
Completely new to most Alaska fish species other than pike.  Still a nonresident until next June, so have been trying to hold back until the '07 licenses come out.  Can't wait to take to the ice and learn some methods for taking Alaska fish!

Offline MooseLine

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Me with the fish - best friend w/ the fish whacker
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2007, 11:50 AM »
Well team alaska...
I'm from Minnesota and vacation on the Penninsula about every year for the last 20 years...friends - six brother and sisters of a long-time family with whom my family have been friends for over 50 years have all lived in AK for quite some time.

Wasilla, Talkeetna, Soldnota, Kenai and of course Anchroid.  I have been looking around Talkeetna and North Kenai for land and am kind of torn between the two.  Talkeetna is a charming village and thewifey likes it.  My best friend is in Soldotna with his family.  But the war department did not care so much for Pennisula..she thinks its too touristy...which I guess is true...but its hard to not like them kings on the Kenai!!!

I've fished Deep Creek with much success.  Clammed on the Glutch.  For the first time, I brought the whole fam damily up with me...my son caught a dandy of a king on his VERY FIRST CAST up on the Sulsitna River....lucky little bassturd!  just shy of being a 40 lb'er.

So can you folks be ok with a part-timer on your TEAM???

Also - any feedback for preferences on land acquisition much appreciated...

I love fishing and came home with over 200 lbs of salmon...in addition to fishing up at Talkeetna, (btw - the ICE AX brew was kick-ass!!!...or was it kicked my a$$...LOL), we chartered the Natuk out of Seward for an overnighter/ 2-day outing.  Capt. Wayne may be a  crabass of an ol sealegged sailor, but the son-of-a b***h sure can fish!!!

would  love to hear from some of you 'Kans!!!

Offline Outdoorsman79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2007, 05:59 PM »
Hello I just moved up here from New Mexico in May. I live on Eielson AFB and of course in the Military. Have done allot of fishing back home ( Originally from California ) but never done any Ice fishing. Well that was until this weekend I went to Chena Lake and Birch lake and now I am hooked!!! I am here to find useful information, new techniques and places to go. Well I think that about covers what I wanted to say. Good luck eveyone and catch that lunker out of the lake.
I am new to the area and new to Ice Fishing so just looking for some useful information.

Offline FisherKing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When I am fishing everything is OK.............
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:48 PM »
Guess I'm next!

Moved up in 04; been fishing ever since. AKDan and a guy named John Lake dragged me a couple places up here and down Kenai way.  Haven't got a King yet, and still looking for that first Bubot, but other than that I have done OK in a few years.

Plan on retiring up here in about 3 years, and just fish all the time!

I happen to think the flag is a good idea! Brad is the man!

Jim Thaxter

Offline Pedey_13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2007, 10:03 PM »
grew up in duluth mn been up here in ak for 2 yrs thanks to uncle sam. love it up here hoping to stay as long as possible. really trying to get back into ice fishing but need to get fully equipped before i can start to fully enjoy going out all the time the boy loves to go with he just can't stay to long before he wants to go home and warm up. anyway good luck to all and enjoy the days on the lake. you can't beat them.

Offline Smokin99

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Active AF
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2007, 01:31 AM »
Well I guess Ill join in,
Grew up in Nebraska in a town of 600 people, not much to do but hunt and fish.  Been in AF 12yrs now, live in Salcha been here for 3yrs.  I enjoy Bow\rifle hunting, fishing, reloading and long range shooting.  I drive the 1999 F250 silver with STACKS!  Mostly ice fish Harding, Birch, and Quarts.  Stop by sometime and tell me where the fish are....LOL

Offline GBP04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:24 PM »
I signed up for  this last year and loved it. Howerver, this year I had a problem logging on. So in a sence i am back. I grew up ice fishing in Wis. Spend a few weekends up here fishing, however been a little distracted with Hockey (something new I started this winter.) I fish mostly Birch and Quartz. Would love to get to Lake george before the end of the year for Pike. I look forward to getting to know everyone again.
John

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:53 PM »
Are you a true rookie John? Good for you! :clap: I took it up 6 or 7 years ago and have been loving it ever since...ok maybe I loved it more after I learned how to stop! How is your team doing? Mine is dead last...but it's still a blast.

Offline GBP04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2007, 10:26 AM »
I am a true rookie in that I have never played any sort of organized or pick up game of hockey. I still get called for penalties and have to ask what I did. ??? I did take some skating lessons 7 years ago with my son when he tried playing. We are in first place with the end of the season next week. We finished last year in last. With the end of the season I hope this warm weather sticks around a while and I get out for some serius Ice Fishing. Not that the cold snaps have kept me indoors. Have a great day all
John

Offline frydaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2007, 12:49 AM »
Hello to all.   My name is Shane and i moved to alaska from minnesota in 1992.  I live in Eagle River, and I love it here.   Although i grew up ice fishing for walleyes and big pike........(often enough to flunk out of college my first go around). ;).........I never got into icefishing up here in alaska until this year, and i can't believe that i waited this long.   It's been a blast this winter, and i'm very excited to be part of this forum.   I ran into a nice guy out on big lake that was fishing for burbot, and he told me about this website.   I didn't get a name, but am very thankful.   There seems to be some very knowledgeable fisherman in this group, and you can bet that i'll be sucking up any useful piece of information that i come across, as well as, contributing the occasional fishing report.

Tight Lines..........Shane
<br />

Offline FrankAk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2007, 12:58 AM »
If it was out on biglake I would bet money it was komakazie. I always read his posts when he fishes biglake.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2007, 01:08 PM »
Actually it was me... we need as many alaskans on this site as we can get... by the way, we missed a couple of burbot that night, but my wife and I went back last night and caught 3 (biggest was 28 inches)

Offline Rdrash

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2007, 07:55 PM »
Well my name is James I've been browsing the site for some time now as has my fishing buddy Aaron his screen name is Tinman ( he's an airframe mech/machinist ) mine is Road Rash ( I crash alot ) anyway finally decided to register and post up. We fish as much as possible in the winter and keep a shanty on big lake the one with the high peaked roof and the grace ice shield on top If you see a blue dodge ram a white GMC or a blue super duty stop on by and say hello although this weekend we are getting in on the nancy lake derby so look for us there.

here are our bonafides

It's alright I'm ok.......Is that my bike on fire?

Offline komocazie74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:02 PM »
now them are some good looking char - wow :o :o :o

you only live once- take time to enjoy it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.