Author Topic: Liquid Coleman Fuel?  (Read 5459 times)

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Liquid Coleman Fuel?
« on: Nov 29, 2006, 05:13 PM »
Does anyone know of a heater that will run on Coleman Liquid Fuel?

I have a stove and lantern that use it now, would be nice to have a heater on the same fuel!

Offline Zee

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Liquid Coleman Fuel?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2006, 05:33 PM »
Look for a coleman 518 series catalytic on Ebay. There are a few 518E on there right now. These are not made anymore because they use platinum and were too expensive to produce. I have 2 518's and one 510, and I think they are great heaters. Run 8 hours on a tank.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2006, 07:57 AM »
awsome checking them out now...
thanks for the tip!

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2006, 08:34 AM »
I think they were called Iosol heaters too.... I have a couple somewhere out at the lake.  On cold mornings I used to dig a little hole, light one and put it in and then push my car over it to warm up the oil pan when I lived at the beach.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2006, 01:28 PM »
Any of the old fashioned ones that used lighter fluid. Some went by the name of "Jon-e" warmers. Coleman fuel and lighter fluid are both naptha.

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline fishingmedic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2007, 10:30 PM »
Zee, I bought a 513 off Ebay. It is new to me, how is the heater supposed to work. I Lit it for the first time and there were flames 3 feet high. You can begin to laugh any time, I did after the fact. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Allan

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2007, 02:04 AM »
Zee, I bought a 513 off Ebay. It is new to me, how is the heater supposed to work. I Lit it for the first time and there were flames 3 feet high. You can begin to laugh any time, I did after the fact. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Allan

That's normal.  The flames will eventually heat up the catalytic screen and everything will be normal in about 2 minutes.  Light your catalytic heater outdoors if you are in a tent.  When you start to get used to it, you can light it indoors if the sealing is high enough.

Usually a catalytic heater has a button that you must hold.  This sends extra fuel to the screen.  If you let go of the button too soon, the heater will just turn off.

Offline fishingmedic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:52 AM »
Thank you very much for the info. It is old and used, but you can't kill any of the original Coleman stuff. I want to keep my new shanty so I will light it outside and wait for a while before putting it in. Again, thanks for the info.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:42 AM »
Catalytic heaters are popular in Europe....or were the last time I heard.  They are great for setting up just in front of you while you watch t.v. without having to turn up the temperature for the whole house.  You can buy them that work on propane or unscented kerosene.  I have yet to see one that uses naphtha which is very volatile.  Maybe naphtha in a tank under pressure like the old Coleman stoves would do fine.

A trick for those who have a Coleman stove or lanterne that uses naphtha...you can use gasoline.  It won't be quite as effective and over a length of time the carburetor gets gummed up...but will do in an emergency.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.