Author Topic: Frabill trekker deluxe questions.....  (Read 5485 times)

Offline Link406

• IceShanty Rookie
Frabill trekker deluxe questions.....
« on: Oct 09, 2014, 10:40 AM »
I'm in the market to buy my first flip over shanty. I'm really stuck on the frabill trekker deluxe but am open to opinions. I keep seeing ads that say frabill trekker deluxe thermal and then just frabill trekker deluxe but the tents are the same?! Is the deluxe a thermal tent? Or is it just 600 denier without thermal skin? Does it really matter if the tent is thermal or not? Thanks !!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: Frabill trekker deluxe questions.....
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2014, 10:45 AM »
Welcome to the addiction that is IS!!! Please update your profile with your location so we know where you'll be fishing! Many on here recommend thermal because it reduces condensation, and of course keeps you warmer! Good luck whatever you decide to get!!! Tight lines!!!!  :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2014, 10:54 AM »
On the Trekker ...look for the denier of the fabric ...300 or 600....the seating Deluxe boat style or stadium ..then thermal ...don't go buy the picture in ad/flyer ...go by the model number ..then cross reference at the Frabill web site  http://frabill.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=trekker
they may have discontinued a non thermal deluxe ...so you may be seeing a discontinued model at times..Update your location ...where I live I have a 300 denier Frabill Adventurer...suits me just fine ..used my Buddy heater more last season ..but most season its just fine . But I jump on a good deal on a thermal .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Link406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2014, 11:11 AM »
Thanks!! I've also been looking at the clam yukon with a thermal cap but I've heard some bad things about clam and its $580! I can't look at the frabill because we don't have a retailer other than the cabelas in my town and it's just an outpost so I'm not sure if they will have any in stock. I would have to order it online and do in store pickup.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2014, 11:22 AM »
Looks like there's 3 models in the Trekker line.

Thermal Trekker DLX
Trekker Max 2 - 600d
Trekker flip over - 300d

I remember when the DLX first came out. It was an entire package that included the travel cover. Not sure if any of them do anymore.

Offline dubnation25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2014, 12:24 PM »
I have had the Frabill Trekker DLX for 3-4 years now and love it. The 600d fabric is tough and with a heater I stay plenty warm. Do yourself a favor and build a smitty sled, if pulling by hand.

Offline Link406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2014, 12:44 PM »
Planning on building the smitty this weekend! Thanks for the opinion, I think I'm set on the trekker now! How much clearance did you do on your smitty?

Offline dubnation25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2014, 12:59 PM »
It all depends on the width of the skies, the how much weight on your sled, and how powdery the snow is. I did 8-10in... I can't remember at the moment, but it is plenty with the snow I've been in. I used 1/2 inch plywood and screwed/glued it to the skies to reduce weight instead of 2 by whatevers.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2014, 01:24 PM »
One of the only things that sorta keeps me away from this shack is that the sled is so shallow.

Offline Tipupguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2014, 02:37 PM »
I have had the Frabill Trekker DLX for 3-4 years now and love it. The 600d fabric is tough and with a heater I stay plenty warm. Do yourself a favor and build a smitty sled, if pulling by hand.

I also the thermal trekker dlx & love it ita a full thermal flip over not just the cap...it pulls like a tank tho
FISH ON!🎣

Offline Link406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2014, 04:03 PM »
On the frabill website it says that there is a thermal trekker deluxe and in the description it says that it is not insulated but if you look under the other tab it says that it is insulated with 3-ply quilted fabric? So is it thermal or not? My next question is that is the thermal trekker deluxe the same trekker deluxe offered on cabelas.com?

Offline Link406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2014, 12:24 PM »
Ended up getting a good deal on the thermal trekker deluxe! $440! The non-thermal trekker deluxe is selling for $530 on cabelas! Thanks everyone for the info

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.