Author Topic: Eskimo Fatfish 949i  (Read 38602 times)

Offline AA

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Eskimo Fatfish 949i
« Reply #90 on: Jan 12, 2014, 12:53 PM »
I just bundle mine up when done fishing and sort of roll the skirt and stuff it on the sled. No bagging it until spring. Just make sure none of your strings are flopping out of your sled. I do put a bungee around the 949i sometimes since it's bulkier due to insulation.

This is Chinese manufacturing at it's finest; affordable stuff, but it's got it's glitches. It's not easy to talk to the boys on the factory floor and get their feedback. Change orders in manufacturing are slow to implement. Plus none of them use these weird shelters they're making so they don't care about a sloppy sew job. Who knows, Clams and Frabills and Eskimos are probably all made at the same place in China. At least Eskimo makes real ice screws for the houses. I wish the US maker (forgot the name) made insulated; I would have bought one this yr.

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Jan 15, 2014, 05:21 PM »
I have been looking at getting a 949i as well. can't find a decent priced one. Did anyone else go with another model tent, 3-4 man, and liking it so far?

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #92 on: Jan 15, 2014, 09:19 PM »
I got mine through Glenn's for about $260 but when I just checked they don't have them listed on their webpage anymore.  The only place I found that has them is the icefishingmaniac.com and they want $284.99 plus shipping.  Most places are sold out and who knows if they're going to get anymore in or not.  Here's the link if you want it.

http://www.icefishingmaniac.com/store/p/946-Eskimo-Fatfish-949i-Insulated-Shelter.aspx

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Jan 15, 2014, 10:03 PM »
Thanks, yes everywhere I've looked too is either super high or out of stock. I've found the non insulated for as low as $199.99 & that had free shipping! But insulated is way I want to go.

Offline scooby105

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Jan 18, 2014, 08:11 PM »
If the 949i ever gets down to $50 in price, it might be worth it, but probably not.  This shelter is awful.   

I've had a two poles break, the bag tear/break, the chest strap for the bag break, two pull straps on the outside break, and the stitching at the bottom of the tent that the pole inserts into break.  I can't even use mine in the current state that it's in because of the broken stitching.

The idea is good, but the shelter is not.

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Jan 18, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Dam, I'd say u got a lemon out of the bunch.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #96 on: Jan 18, 2014, 11:50 PM »
That's a lot of things to go wrong with one shelter, seems like it was a lemon or someone beat the hell out of it.  I'd give Eskimo a call and talk with them about it, they have great customer service.

Offline Carl.j.o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:38 PM »
The Chinese guy at the factory must have had to much baijiu the night before and yes bags are cheaply made and a bit small. Broke one of the back pack straps and broke zipper handle in half . I called they sent me a new one no questions asked . At my door within 4 days
FLAG!!!

Offline Calestus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:15 AM »
Ive got this years 949i, and besides the poles internally being a tad bowed, it has been great the couple times I've had it out. I hear the bowed pole issue will work itself out.

The bag is fine and fits the tent well, especially if you use the velcro strap that comes with it around the tent before trying to shove it in there.

Not a huge fan of wearing it as a back pack, the shoulder straps end up angling the bottom of the tent into your feet and I end up shortening my stride to compensate.

It was 10*f the last time I had it out no wind to speak of and plenty of sun, it pretty much baked us out of the shelter.

Seems they also used a polyurethane adhesive on the hub/pole connections.

Offline WIholehopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:19 AM »
Been out in my 949i a handful of times and I really like it.  It's easy to set up and take down, even alone.  Had it out in wind, snow and below zero temps and as long as you have a couple anchors into the wind it is fine.  It is the perfect size for 2 guys to fish 2 holes each.  3 guys is fine as long as you lay out the holes right.  Have a big buddy heater for a clam 1660 and it doesn't go any higher than low.  I even packed it out on my back last weekend to lighten the sled for my buddy to pull and it wasn't bad.  We have had some wicked cold temps in WI and the zippers, material, bag and ice anchors have held up fine.

Offline bowhuntnsteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Jan 23, 2014, 12:04 PM »
949i not spacious enough for 4 guys?

Offline WIholehopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Jan 23, 2014, 01:15 PM »
949i not spacious enough for 4 guys?

For me it would be tight with 4 guys.  Figure each guy has a bucket or tackle bag and you need a good place for a heater.  I always put the holes in the corners and it works good for 3.  Put a hole in the 4th corner and someone is sitting in front of the door.  If you are consistently fishing with 3 other guys, I would look at something bigger. 

Offline lightningrod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Mar 05, 2014, 11:35 AM »

An easy check. The problem hubs have the pin and the improved ones have a pinless design that lets the pole spin freely in the hub. Great hut. Love the insulation and zero condensation. A big bonus is that there is no coating to flake off creating light spots. Love mine and highly recommend it.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #103 on: Nov 23, 2014, 10:20 PM »
So guys that still run this shack happy and recommend it? Glitches fixed?
Fishin red lines

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #104 on: Nov 23, 2014, 11:41 PM »
MHO would be to buy the Clam Bigfoot XL 4000 if u r going to fish 4 guys. I have fished three out of my Clam and had a lot of room left over that u could easily fit another guy and gear in. Plus the poles in the Clam are massive compared to the 949i. The doors are big enough to easily walk through and u can stand anywhere in the hut which the 949i is tapered down at the sides. I'm saying the 949i is a bad hut just if u want room for 4 the bigger Clam would be the way to go IMO.
 Matt

Offline bz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #105 on: Nov 24, 2014, 05:30 PM »
is the fatfish 949 be big enough for 4 guys to sit comfortably in fold out chairs to watch tip ups and stay warm without jigging.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Nov 24, 2014, 07:59 PM »
I have heard it both ways. For me it would be my wife myself and 6 and 4 yr olds. 1 hole a piece in it. They also don't go out every time I do...
Fishin red lines

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #107 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:01 PM »
Watching tip ups is one thing but fishing four holes would be tight in a 949. IMO

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #108 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:06 PM »
I have fished with 5 adults in my 949 all sitting on folding camp chairs with the arm rests. It was cramped but we did it on a very cold day, fishing 4 adults would be easy. I also use a full size cooler to put the camera on and a hole for the camera.

Most people that have the Clams have lots of complaints about he cracking of the windows that you can't replace as well as their poor quality zippers.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #109 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:11 PM »
Yeah it does say 3-4 person and the big foot xl4000 says 4-6. How are clams anchors? I have heard good things about the eskimo ones never heard about the clam. I am planning on going to gander to check these two out then ill order one ... I have been warned of the zippers on the clam and the only warnings on the 949 were from 2 yrs ago in posts about them ive been reading and have all been resolved by Eskimo. The canvas 600d vs 300d has me thrown off but like I mentioned ill check it out.
Fishin red lines

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #110 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:12 PM »
I have never heard of any complaints on the windows and the only complaints I have heard about the zippers were the plastic pull tabs. Now everyone knows the long last be of problems with the 949's. Bad stitching travel bags are junk and tear easily. Rods break easily. I'm on my second clam and no problems with either one.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #111 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:16 PM »
I have never had any problems with zippers and a lot of guys  use a parachute cord for the pull tabs the plastic ones get brittle when it gets super cold but I have not had this happen to mine or the one I sold my buddy

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #112 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:25 PM »
The canvas wasn't as good on the 949i? Never heard of poles breaking just the pins they used to have in the hub.
Fishin red lines

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #113 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:39 PM »
If u can find them set up somewhere u will see the difference. I'm not saying the 949i is a bad hut IMO the clam Bigfoot XL 4000 is the better hut

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #114 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:44 PM »
I do like the light color of the fabric on the clam .One thing I like about the X2.
Fishin red lines

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #115 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:57 PM »
also 42# for the clam weight and 34 for the eskimo...
Fishin red lines

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #116 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:02 PM »
Clam Bigfoot XL 4000 weighs 55lbs but that's bag and anchors included.

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #117 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:05 PM »
Just got a 6120I the new bigger version of the Eskimo 949 and hopefully that will be a good hut...will find out..

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #118 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:10 PM »
Just got a 6120I the new bigger version of the Eskimo 949 and hopefully that will be a good hut...will find out..

Congrats on the new shack, I am sure it will be good to you and if you have an issue the company will be there willing to correct any issues.

Do a search on what Clam is telling to guys with cracked non-replacable windows and their warranty!  :o

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #119 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:52 PM »
FrostBack I did a search and didn't find anything on the windows or no complaints on them. Where did u find them? I would like to read them. So far my clam has been great but would like to know if there r issues. Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.