Author Topic: 5, 11, or 20 lb propane tank????  (Read 26783 times)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: 5, 11, or 20 lb propane tank????
« Reply #30 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:58 PM »
The same size, not bigger. Also, if it isn't safe to refill them just what makes them so safe to be filled in the first place? Just how do you think it is done?

We have lots of homes here heated by LP. We also have homes, kitchens, laundromats, restaurants etc with gas stoves, gas dryers etc. Servicemen such as I (yeah, ME) come and have to pipe up said systems, purge as needed, light pilots, do whatever it takes to finish the job.

I'm still here, and I've never caused a fire or explosion.

You guys are just playing on fear of the unknown. Sure, it helps to know what you are doing, but to blanket the topic with "Kablooey!" Barney Fife style, is just not right.

They are not meant to be RE-FILLED. Meaning the valve has a chance to not shut properly thus having 3/4lb of propane spilling into your house.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 02, 2009, 10:15 PM »
I have a 5lb we used for the last 6 years for cooking when we were camping.  planning on using that, but if it does not last long enough I will have to upgrade to something bigger.
Don

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #32 on: Dec 02, 2009, 10:21 PM »
Quote from: BBK
They are not meant to be RE-FILLED. Meaning the valve has a chance to not shut properly thus having 3/4lb of propane spilling into your house

Whatever,  ::)

So tell Harbor Freight, Cabelas, Northern Tool and all the other places that sell the refill adapters that they are just Burning down the House and if they don't stop NOW, they'll be contributing more than their share to global warming!  :nono:
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 02, 2009, 11:36 PM »
I have a 5# that I use when we take the Yukon and the Buddy Heater.  I refill the 1# tanks for my single mantle lantern and Coleman Sportcat heater that I use in the Scout.  I've refilled a dozen of the 1# tanks five or six times each with no leaks so far. 

-Jeff

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 02, 2009, 11:42 PM »
I've got the one pound refill adapter as well. Not gonna say anymore  ;D

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Dec 02, 2009, 11:57 PM »
Wanna fill some for me  ;D
EYECONICFISHING

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 03, 2009, 07:44 AM »
I've got the one pound refill adapter as well. Not gonna say anymore  ;D

Thank you, I know they have the adapter out there, I MYSELF don't feel comfortable using it, but then again there are some thngs I do that others would consider reckless.  I have a gas station that does propane refill that is less the 1/2 mile away, so I don't have to go far to get a tank refilled.

And just because a store sells it doesn't mean it's meant to be used for what you/we/I  use it for.

Offline MaxAntonious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:01 AM »
I bought a mr. heater sunflower and a 5 lb tank for $25. off craigslist.

Ahhhhh, So your the one who beat me to that deal!!! >:(   lol  ;D good job.
Fish Hard or Go Home

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:07 AM »
I bought a mr. heater sunflower and a 5 lb tank for $25. off craigslist.
   Wish i could run across a deal like that?......Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:13 AM »
I wish a customer service rep would chime in about refilling these 1lb. tanks. The package that I have has a picture of a 1lb being refilled by a 20lb. refill,reuse,recycle ........save the enviornment is what it says.

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:54 AM »
I wish a customer service rep would chime in about refilling these 1lb. tanks. The package that I have has a picture of a 1lb being refilled by a 20lb. refill,reuse,recycle ........save the enviornment is what it says.

Well put!!!!!  Been refilling foe a few years always leak check and never store them in the house or garage (coal stoves in both).  Besides just about everytime I go in from fishing I usually pick up at least 1 more that somebody has left on the ice, if more people refill then there would be less trash.
;

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #41 on: Dec 03, 2009, 10:55 AM »

Well put!!!!!  Been refilling foe a few years always leak check and never store them in the house or garage (coal stoves in both).  Besides just about everytime I go in from fishing I usually pick up at least 1 more that somebody has left on the ice, if more people refill then there would be less trash.

How about if people would just pick up there own sh*t when they are done...that would be IDEAL.
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 03, 2009, 11:46 AM »
I have one of those adapters, I would have no problem using it to fill a 1lber to use on a torch, lantern, small heater, or anything where I would attach the tank onto the appliance immediately. But I wouldn't ever fill a tank to use as a spare.
Like it was said the valve on those tanks were made to be used once, like many things that are made to be used once then discarded. I did fill a few tanks once and had more then one leaker.

There was the question asked "what made them safe the first time?", the valve came sealed, it was doing what it was designed to do, seal the bottle until the valve was opened.

If the environment is the problem get a tank that has a manual valve, you'll get far more use out of it.

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 03, 2009, 12:09 PM »
I have one of those adapters, I would have no problem using it to fill a 1lber to use on a torch, lantern, small heater, or anything where I would attach the tank onto the appliance immediately. But I wouldn't ever fill a tank to use as a spare.
Like it was said the valve on those tanks were made to be used once, like many things that are made to be used once then discarded. I did fill a few tanks once and had more then one leaker.

There was the question asked "what made them safe the first time?", the valve came sealed, it was doing what it was designed to do, seal the bottle until the valve was opened.

If the environment is the problem get a tank that has a manual valve, you'll get far more use out of it.

You can buy a cap that will seal them
;

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 03, 2009, 12:36 PM »

Re: refilling the small green LP tanks??
« Reply #142 on: Jan 26, 2009, 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't see any problem IF one uses his head and follows some basic rules.

Always fill outside.
Always check for leak-ers (useWD40)
Never fill a known leak-er
Always keep cap on tanks when not in use (Dirt / dust valve contamination)
Always store refilled in a cold environment (Preferably outside)
NO flames or smoking or sparks !!

Use Warm 18/20 lb tank and cold 1lb tanks.

AND THIS

Refill Disposable Propane Cylinders!
April 17th, 2008 · by Tim Flanagan, Managing Editor
It’s my new manifesto, sort of. See, these 16-ounce "disposable" propane cylinders are such a convenient size for camping and cruising on smaller boats, sometimes there isn’t any other alternative. In the lazarette aboard Two Lucky Fish, A C-Dory 22, this is really the only propane storage solution that doesn’t involve a costly custom propane installation.

So go ahead and use the 16-oz cylinders if you can’t fit one of the DOT-approved refillable cylinders. It’s a shame that even major suppliers such as Coleman have no recycling recommendations for them.

But I’ve learned that they CAN be refilled. The reason you don’t hear much about it, though, is that these cylinders aren’t DOT-approved for refilling. This means that you can’t take your cylinders to the local propane-equipped service station and have them refilled. That’s against the law. And refilled cylinders can’t be sold commercially. And commercial operators can’t transport refilled cylinders across state lines. There are all sorts of limitations and potential liabilities associated with refilling these cylinders.

It’s perfectly legal to refill them for personal use, however.

Obviously, because it’s propane, you need to handle it properly and observe all the best-practice safety protocols.

First thing, though, you need to purchase one of these little adapters from Mr. Heater or one of their distributors.

I got mine at Joe’s (which was G.I. Joe’s when I was a kid, and actually sold military surplus gear, but I digress). Cabela’s sells a similar item called the Mac Coupler, and it’s worthwhile to read the negative reviews on their site.

The negative reviews, which are by far the minority, describe some of the difficulties people experience using this adapter. This can be helpful, because there are a few tricks to refilling these cylinders. To obtain the best results, it helps to understand a little bit about how propane works.

At normal atmospheric pressure and temperature, propane is a gas. It’s heavier than air, so it will tend to settle and collect in low spots, such as the bilge, cockpit, or cabin of a boat. That’s what creates the explosion risk when there is a propane leak, and that’s why propane storage locations must be designed to vent overboard, not inboard. This is absolutely crucial. Don’t cut corners here.

The propane we purchase is "Liquefied Propane Gas" (LPG), which has been compressed into a liquid and is stored in cylinders designed to keep the propane compressed. The propane is always under pressure, and will tend to escape if you let it. So the integrity of your storage cylinder is another extremely important safety factor. Don’t skimp. I don’t know what the lifespan of refilled "disposable" cylinders is, but if they leak or they’re visibly damaged, it’s time to get ride of them.

Myth: larger propane cylinders generate more pressure than small tanks. This is false, they all generate the same pressure, which is dependent on temperature. Lower ambient temperatures produce lower internal cylinder pressures. Higher temperatures produce higher pressures. That’s why one of the guidelines for refilling disposable propane cylinders is not to do it in direct sunlight or on hot days; you could be dealing with very high pressures indeed under those circumstances.

See, what happens inside the cylinder is that the liquid gas vaporizes just until the pressure is sufficient to prevent additional vaporization, which depends on the temperature.

Whuh-huh?

Pressure keeps the propane a liquid, right? And the vaporized propane gas exerts pressure, right? So just enough of the liquid vaporizes to maintain the pressure inside the cylinder to prevent any more of the liquid propane from vaporizing. Got it?

AND THIS

...enough said.   Let's talk about the use of WD40 as fish attractant.  ::)

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 03, 2009, 09:08 PM »
I can't believe it took 'till December for this "Annual" discution/argument to come up. :P

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 03, 2009, 09:20 PM »
Loving it and we will see it pop back up all winter.......So to that I say......BUMP
;

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #47 on: Dec 03, 2009, 09:31 PM »
Well I figurred I'd hush my mouth fer a bit but then I noticed we are on first page in a Google Search so I think I should say, kids, don't try this at home...

Leave it to trained amateurs...  :-\
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 16, 2011, 02:13 PM »
I would really like an 11# pancake style propane tank... anyone found one for cheap lately?

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #49 on: Jan 16, 2011, 02:17 PM »
bigger is better when it comes to propane. i use a 20
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 16, 2011, 03:17 PM »
I have always used a 20# but I like the idea that the 11# is lower and less likely to tip over. Also better vaporization as mentioned previously. I have a dual mr heater and mounting it on top of a 20# tank in my 6x12 pop up only provides a couple feet of clearance to the roof and the tarp gets pretty hot...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #51 on: Jan 16, 2011, 05:58 PM »
How about if people would just pick up there own sh*t when they are done...that would be IDEAL.

that works for me to ,I have a 5,11 ,for my huts , and a 30# i use to refill my 1 lbers for my one man ,just check for leakers

Offline mr.bartender

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time spent wisely!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 16, 2011, 06:47 PM »
I would really like an 11# pancake style propane tank... anyone found one for cheap lately?
looked online and those 11 lb. run around 50-60! a 20 lb. is only 30!
i have enjoyed alot of things in life,but none as much as ice fishing!

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:26 PM »
i think i'll stick to a 20# tank... the clearance isn't an issue. I measured it and it's almost 3 ft from the roof. Might have to keep my eyes peeled for an 11# tank if I ever come across some cheap ones...

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:10 PM »
I use 1 lb and a 20lb cylinder. I have one heater (buddy heater)  that is 1lb only that I use on warmer days  and a sunflower heater that converts from ether a 20 lb or 1 lb for those cold days. Depends if I'm walking onto a farm pond or driving onto a lake verses temps..... which one I take ....or both.

I filled 20 1lb cylinders last sat. Probably the 20th time I have refilled them.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:15 PM »
the 11 lb I have you can see the level   best thing is there is no suprises ya know whats left
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #56 on: Jan 17, 2011, 03:17 PM »
After using a 20lb tank with my buddy heater it quit working, I took the fuel lines off, and blew them out and this is what came out of it. I'm told that using a filter helps.

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:02 PM »
I bought a 11# "pancake" cylinder from L&M Fleet--cost me $60------they are not cheap!!!!!!!!I had to special order it too

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:06 PM »
I've always run a filter - didn't really know why - the local farm and fleet recommned it - I guess I know why now. I just bought an 11lb tank - takes up less room in the sled when I fish 2 and saves a little weight for those early pulls when you cant drive out.
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.