Author Topic: when is snow bad for the ice  (Read 1421 times)

Offline *Wiggler*

• IceShanty Rookie
when is snow bad for the ice
« on: Dec 03, 2008, 09:59 PM »
Hey guys,

Looks like this week might make some decent ice up near the cottage. Most nights are dipping to -10 and there is already a couple inches on the lake I wanna fish (as of 2 weekends ago before warm spell). There is also some snow that's gonna fall (5-10cm). I know the snow last year did terrible things for the ice as it was forming.
What I'm wondering is when does the snow fall/depth actually start wreaking havoc with ice formation? Will the 5-10cms really insulate enough to slow the formation much?

Thanks

Offline S.M.05

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 6 days of work, 1 day of trout.
Re: when is snow bad for the ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2008, 05:55 PM »
 Yep snow insulates and adds weight 5-10cm proly not too much but it also tends to blow off the lakes
so of course using caution I would stick too the areas its blown off.
The weather by monday should add a couple "s to the ice although every lake different.
Good luck and play safe. :tipup:
If you cant ride it, drink it or bring home it to bed, it aint worth having!

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2008, 06:13 PM »
Snow on forming ice sucks >:(
The insulation value really hampers ice formation and if you get too much or it is wet and heavy snow it pushes the ice down and cracks it. That allows water to get under the snow and make slush. There is absolutely nothing on the lake that I hate more than slush!!!
10cm of fluffy stuff probably won't weigh it down too much. Just pray it blows off.
Glen

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2008, 06:15 PM »
snow is pretty much not good for the ice at all from beginning to finish. the only thing its good for is traction while walking out, so u don't slip and bust ur butt :laugh:

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2008, 07:19 PM »
Its always bad for forming ice. Especially when it gets this deep

The weight of this snow made for about 6 inches of water on top of ice ( ice was 37 inches thick). Had to build up the snow to have platform to fish on. Lots of weight pushes the water up thru cracks and floods the top of ice, but you usually don't see because its under snow.  Snowmachines bog down in the slush layer if underpowered.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2008, 07:43 PM »
Its always bad for forming ice. Especially when it gets this deep

The weight of this snow made for about 6 inches of water on top of ice ( ice was 37 inches thick). Had to build up the snow to have platform to fish on. Lots of weight pushes the water up thru cracks and floods the top of ice, but you usually don't see because its under snow.  Snowmachines bog down in the slush layer if underpowered.

I think I would be moving somewhere else if I had to deal with that kind of ice-fishing for long.  That's gotta be a miserable job getting down to the ice.  My back wouldn't take it!  I hope that photo represents an exception of what is "normal" for you.

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2008, 07:56 PM »
holy smokes man!!!  i at least hope u were marking some fish for all that work u did :laugh:

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:05 PM »
Yes we caught some rainbows.
I would say that is the biggest snow dump we had that year and it was near end of season. We fish about half the ice season on snowshoes on lakes like these. However on bigger lakes the snow mostly gets blown off. Many lakes however have lots of slush so you gotta bust trail with snowshoes and let freeze overnight then drive on with snowmachine. The problem with this lake is no one was on it that year and we were the first ones. Thats probably why you won't see alot of vehicles driving on the ice in BC like the rest of Canada. Lots of bush protection on many lakes. Makes for tough drilling too with slush layers. It is alot of work but its more fun than a workout at the gym.
Leave BC when I have 6 months of ice.....I don't think so ;)

Snow is definately bad for the ice unless like previously mentioned it gives you better traction than on glare ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.