Author Topic: planning ahead  (Read 474 times)

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
planning ahead
« on: Nov 11, 2014, 09:55 AM »
last year, my cousin's girl scout troop asked me to assist them in an ice fishing adventure on Henry's lake. it was bitter cold and windy with a LOT of snow and we only landed 6 or 7 fish, but apparently the girl haven't stopped talking about it since, even in august the trip worked its way into conversation.
this year i intend to take the girls somewhere they're all guaranteed to catch fish, with either a chance at large fish or exciting fish; i have a couple of ideas already but i could use some more information on a few places.

firstly, Roberts Gravel pond. it's near Idaho Falls, which is where the troop is based, and i know it has buckets of small perch with the occasional small trout. i've heard rumors of catfish though, and i'd like someone to confirm (or deny) those rumors and maybe point me in a direction as far as location. given how hard they fight on light line, i think a catfish or two would be a nice surprise for these girls.

next up, does Ririe reservoir have at least 6" of ice in late december or early january? if i could get the girls in the path of the kokanee, i'm sure they'd have an absolute blast.

another option i'm looking at (and this is my favored choice) is Mctucker's Ponds. i know them well, and it's fairly easy to catch fish there, with a chance at much larger fish. my question is, has anybody had success fishing the pond with the island? i've tried it a couple of times, but i've never had any luck on that particular pond.

lastly, depending on how far the girls are willing to travel, i've been looking at Johnson Reservoir down by Preston. it's a long drive, but i've always had great success there, and with a chance to catch a tiger muskie, it could turn out to be a very memorable trip. however i've only ever targeted the bluegill and trout that live there, not the muskie. i have a couple of tipups that i've been learning to use, and i was wondering if anyone had any ideas for how to catch tiger muskie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.